Author Topic: Today is reject Abi day.  (Read 5510 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Today is reject Abi day.
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
1. Fail to pass the Music Fundamentals test. I'm stuck in a class where I really do know all the material, but failed to convince the teacher of that. >: (

2. I not only didn't get a scholarship for my singing (which I mostly expected, but hey, why not try?) but I found out apparently it was an audition to be accepted as a music major, which NO ONE warned me about. So guess what? They won't let me be a music major. At least not this semester (they did say they'd like me to try again, if I make some progress).

3. Didn't get the job I applied for. I didn't have great odds, but it's like salt in the wound, right?

If I don't make it into the choir, I'm probably going to have a nervous breakdown. Plus there isn't any real privacy, you know. And I don't anyone well enough here to be really honest with them.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Moony

• 満月がとても美しいですね。
  • Tier 7
    • Website
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Today is reject Abi day.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
I am sure you will get to the choir. You have an amazing voice!
And donīt worry, we all have some "not so good times" in life.
It will be better soon  :hug:
http://meelika.myportfolio.com/ - photography portfolio
http://wanderstarstudios.com/ - game Rax & I are working on

Berkeley

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
Don't get discouraged, abigail. Like Moon said we all have some good and some bad days. The important thing is not to let your worries get you down. *hug*

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
Ouch, what a bummer. Those happens, but at least it'll make you feel better about every other day. :P

But wah? There's a mandatory singing audition to be passed in order to be music major?? I think there's a low piano requirement here for it, but singing doesn't make much sense if you're going to composition and the like. ._o

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »
Aww . . . cheer up, Abi! :hug:

You'll get into the choir for sure! (You have such a pretty voice! They'd be crazy not to let you join!) That scholarship isn't going away, either, so don't give up! And you'll find a job. I just know it!
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »
Yeah, there is a pretty easy piano requirement. (I'm almost there.) But apparently they want me to learn about performance too. I wish I were better at piano, that way I could learn piano performance and it'd be more handy in composing too. But I guess I have to just pass the keyboard proficiency test and focus on voice, then. I don't get it either, but he said that's what most schools do.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for choir.

And the thing with the job is, there was a part-time job fair today, which I meant to go to. But I ended up missing it because I was bumming out in my room because I was unhappy. Maybe I'll just wait to get a job until next semester, but I feel bad not helping out with the tuition cost.

On the plus side, I went shopping and bought face wash, crayons, and nail polish. That made me slightly happier. Oh, and today was free Chipotle's with a student ID. Also a good thing.

I should probably start thinking about back-up majors, though.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »
Sorry that happend Abi, Im sure you'll do better next time, I think your really talented (along with a lot of other members here), so don't worry. You can do it, I know for sure I'm behind you.

Im sure things will get better.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »
The law of happy must be on your side now. So you'll get in that choir on 100%. We belive in you. ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
you can do it, abi! :gothat!:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
Hm, is the singing audition more on pitch accuracy rather than the actual singing performance-wise? If so, I suppose that's kinda relevant, for tests where they ask you to sing one note and another that's a certain displacement from it and whatnot. But if it's just the normal singing abilities just to get into music major (including instrumental performance etc.) it doesn't seem to make sense no matter how I look at it.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
Haha! Are you insulting my pitch accuracy? >: [ No, just kidding, I know I'm not great there. Well, I guess it is sort of a wierd spot I'm in, because there are lots of things I'm good at music-wise, and lots of things that I'm kind of mediocre at. The problem is that early on, they really emphasize the stuff I'm not good at, so I'll have to work hard. That's probably a good thing, though, because lots of stuff just comes to easy for me, and I think it'll be worth it.

Plus, now I get to take more private lessons (I love private lessons), and even if I can't get into the music major, I'm sure I'll enjoy those. All in all, it's not a huge deal. It isn't as if they're not allowing me to try again, they seemed to think I could make it in Spring if I worked at it.

Anyway, now that the initial confusion and shock have worn off, things look rosier. Challenges are fun when you look at them the right way.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:09:17 PM »
I meant "kinda relevant" as in the test to the major's acceptance, not your pitch accuracy to the test. :'~ But yeah, the course requirement for the first year is usually pretty laxed so you can still just take what's required of it for later entrance.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »
Oh okay. ;) Anyway, thanks for listening and encouraging me guys! Facebook isn't safe, I'm already friends with faculty there. ^^' I feel kinda selfish just posting a couple things here, when I sill don't plan on being around a lot, but it really did help, guys. :) Thanks a bunch!

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Anything to help! :vikonsmile: Just a random question, but what did you have to do for the audition? (i don't think i missed you saying that) did you have to pick a song to sing, or sight read or what?

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:26:28 AM »
For the 'get into the music program' audition, I just had to sing a couple songs of my choosing. I think the main issue there was that one of the songs, the accompaniment version I had was REALLY lame. And what the accompanist just did was play the chords, so the accompaniment was kinda skeleton. I forgot that the soloist leads the accompanist, right? So my rhythm was BAD and when I was uncertain... well, uncertain singing is not pleasant to listen to. So no more of THAT song. :P Yeah, I'll choose better songs next time, and that'll probably solve a lot of the problem.

The choir audition required some simple sight singing (which I'm pretty sure I nailed), and the test to get out of the music fundamentals class also had some sight singing which I failed horribly. :(

Oh and by the way, Reives, it isn't that they require you to SING well to join the music program, they just want to make sure you know how to perform well on some instrument. Which may still be slightly unfair for composition majors, but I was given the impression that its pretty universal for schools to require proficiency on a certain instrument to get into any music program.