Author Topic: Simplistic Event Command Information  (Read 4443 times)

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Simplistic Event Command Information
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »
RMXP Event Guide

This guide contains a list and simple explanations of all event commands currently available in the RPG Maker XP application. Note that there's not a lot of information here, it just tells you what each command does, with exceptions of some, quite obvious ones. I could've gone much more into detail, but it's 2 AM in the morning, and I'm a lazy tard ._ .

Page 1

Show Text
This command shows a text based on the Window_Message class. Nothing fancy. Most likely used in every game made with RMXP. Just type in your text and press OK. Note that there are several commands you can use:
 - \n[ x ]: replace x with the actor ID from the database to show their name
 - \c[ x ]: replace x with the color ID from Window_Base to change the color of the text
 - \g: Shows a small gold window at the upper-right corner while showing the message
Also, other message system, such as the Advanced Message system and the Universal Message System, provides more nifty commands to use, and letter-by-letter messages.

Show Choices
Shows up to four choices for the player to pick from. The cancel radio list decides which branch that will execute if the player presses Escape. Each choice creates a branch in the event. Branches have a slight indent. Any event commands placed within the branches will cause these only to run when the event enters this branch. Required to make choices different depending on the players decision.

Input Number
Allows the player to input a number into a variable. The amount if digits is decided by you. Say you have 4 digits, and the player inputs 1234, the variable you set will then be set to 1234. You can thereby use this for event conditions or conditional branches, gold increase/reduce or whatever else you may require.

Change Text Options
Allows you to change the position and visibility of the message window. The left radio group decides the position (Top, Middle or Bottom), and the right ones decide if it's going to be shown or hidden.

Button Input Processing
A less used command, as far as I know. This causes the game to halt until a button is pressed, which pushes the value of the button into the variable.

Wait
A very useful command. This halts the current event for X amount of frames (20 frames is about a second long). Very useful for giving scenes more life to actual timings.

Comment
This command does absolutely nothing to the game itself. This only applies a green text to your event, which comments what that currently happens in the event. Usually used by developers that are releasing their projects for others to use their work. In-game, these commands are ignored.

Conditional Branch
A very detailed, and important event command. This is the same as the if statement in programming, just with a much simpler approach. It checks if the condition you set within it is true. If it isn't true, you have the ability to allow an else case. If the condition is false, it will run the else case; if there's no else case, it just continues with the event.

Loop
Creates a loop. This will cause the event to stay inside the current indent until the Break Loop command is called.

Break Loop
Exits a loop and proceedes with anything that's put beneath it.

Exit Event Processing
This will end the event's process, and cause no further event commands to execute. Please note, that if this event is an autorun or a parallel process, it will merely just start the event from the top again.

Erase Event
Erases the event for as long as you are on this current instanced map. If you re-transfer to this map, the event will no longer be erased. Myself, I usually use this when I have map fixing events for fogs, panoramas etc., that's supposed to run on every enter of the map, but the event iself isn't of any use after it has run.

Call Common Event
Calls a common event from the database. This will increase the call stack. If you keep calling common events inside another common event, it will eventually reach the limit. I don't think worrying about the limit is something to do, as the stack limit is really high.

Label
Sets a label at the specific point with the specific name.

Jump to Label
Jumps to a label with the specific name in the event. You can jump straight inside branches using this.

Control Switches
Sets a specific switch to ON or OFF (true or false). Switches are by far the most important thing to master, as possibly, every RMXP game uses them.

Control Variables
Controls game variables. Can be set to many different values. Bases itself on basic mathematic operators, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and modulus.

Control Self Switch
Sets self-unique switches, which only ties to the current processing event. Very useful for not-so-important events to not cause switch overflow (maximum switches being 5000 of the editor switches). There's four self switches, A, B, C and D. Use them as freqent as you can.

Control Timer
Starts the countdown timer from a specific amount of time, or stops it. You can check the time by using a Conditional Branch.

Change Gold
Adds or removes gold from the party's inventory. Can be altered by a specific value, or by a given variable.

Change Items
Adds or removes items from the party's inventory. Can be altered by a specific value, or by a given variable.

Change Weapons
Adds or removes weapons from the party's inventory. Can be altered by a specific value, or by a given variable.

Change Armor
Adds or removes armor from the party's inventory. Can be altered by a specific value, or by a given variable.

Change Party Member
Adds or removes a party member from the party. If set to initialize, the added party member will be added with its start values, being his or her minimum level, stats and equipment.

Change Windowskin
Changes the windowskin of everything in the game, unless certain scripts defines a manual windowskin not tied to the system configuration.

Change Battle BGM
Changes the music which plays when combat starts. This command is often used for changing the common battle theme to boss battle themes whenever there's a boss encounter.

Change Save Access
Disallow the player to save, or vice versa.

Change Menu Access
Disallow the player to open the menu, or vice versa.

Change Encounter
Disallow the player to encounter random enemies on the map, or vice versa.

Page 2

Transfer Player
Transfers the player to the given map. This is also possible using three variables. One containing the map ID, and two others containing the given coordinates. The direction to face, and whether the transfer should cross dissolve, can also be selected.

Set Event Location
Change the location of an event. Can be directly placed, placed using variable coordinates, or swap with another event's location.

Scroll Map
Scrolls the map in the direction supplied at a specific speed for X amount of tiles. Unless a custom script is implemented, this command will only run one at a time.

Change Map Settings
Allows changing the panorama, fog and battleback graphic.

Change Fog Color Tone
Changes the color tone of the fog, using RGB color values and a grayscale slider.

Change Fog Opacity
Changes the fog opacity from its current opacity to the new opacity over the given amount of frames. 0 is completely invisible, and 255 is entirely opaque.

Show Animation
Plays an animation on the given entity.

Change Transparent Flag
Sets the player sprite to be either visible or hidden.

Set Move Route
Allows characters to move around, jump around, set switches on and play sound effects. This command is very commonly used, not only for actual movement, but also for allowing some processes to happen during other event commands. Learning to use this effeciently might take some time.

Wait for Move's Completion
Wait's until all movements have completed. This is a command I'm very cautious with. If an event is already running with a repeat checkbox enabled, this will cause the entire game to stop while nothing happens.

Prepare for Transition
Less used, I reckon. This is the same as "Graphics.freeze" in RGSS. It freezes the screen, but still allowing graphics to update, but it won't appear visually inide the game player.

Execute Transition
Transitions using the transition image from what was visible prior to the preparation, to what changed after it.

Change Screen Color Tone
Changes the tint of the screen to create a different mood. Also used to fade out and fade in. This command looks limited, but it's not. Used quite frequently in games, I believe.

Screen Flash
Flashes the screen with the respective color and strength over the given amount of frames.

Screen Shake
Shake the screen with the specific strength and speed for the given amount of frames.

Show Picture
Shows the specific picture on the screen. There are several configuration parts here.

Move Picture
Moves the given picture, but not necessarily a position wise movement. It can fade in and change its blending as well. Will happen over the given amount of frames.

Rotate Picture
Rotates the picture at the given speed. Not sure how often this is used; never really had any use of it myself.

Change Picture Color Tone
Changes the tint of the given picture over the given amount of time.

Set Weather Effects
Sets the weather effects to the given type with the given power over the given amount of frames. Rain will slowly start if it happens over 100 frames, but will start straight away if set to 0.

For all the music related commands, they pretty much are too obvious. Except the memorize and restore.

Memorize BGM/BGS
Memorizes the currently playing background music and background sound.

Restore BGM/BGS
Restores the previously memorized BGM and BGS.

Page 3

This page is rather obvious. If you have any questions regarding commands here, please ask.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.