Author Topic: The Blacksmith's Apprentice  (Read 5449 times)

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
The Blacksmith's Apprentice
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
I have to thank Jerry for introducing me to this one. It's got a really great story so far and the characters are very likable. You can find the download and instructions for it here:

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=45224

It's technically a demo, but you'll be hammering away at this one (zing!) for a while because it's got ten hours of gameplay. 
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: The Blacksmith's Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:19:34 AM »
I heard good things about that game. c: Planning to try it myself when I get the chance in the future.

Amaranth

• Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:29 AM »
Okay . . . I am STUCK! If anyone has already played through the demo and is willing to offer some help, he/she has my thanks.

1. How do I buy the coal? I cleared out the first two levels of the mine, but I can't get any coal. Do I have to finish the king's quest first?

2. Speaking of which, I now have the Writ from the dwarves' king, but I bought the tiny boat (not the schooner) well before I obtained it and now I can't use the Writ. What do I do now?

3. Around what level do I need to be in order to be strong enough to swim underwater when I reach Quill's Island (or whatever it's called)?

4. How do I get William to decide on the color green for the scarf I need? I'm trying to buy a bolt of silk for Lillian, and I have enough money. He just won't decide on a color!

5. Is it possible to get the locket for the guy in the Garrison tavern once you buy something from that thief in the Thieves' Woods? I want to help him! (I thought he was a thief when I first passed through Lief's Haven, so I didn't buy him a drink, and I bought the pendant just for the hell of it).

There are probably some other things I'm stuck with (not including stuff needed to complete some quests that does not exist in this demo), but I can't think of any right now.

Examples of my skills:

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »
1. How do I buy the coal? I cleared out the first two levels of the mine, but I can't get any coal. Do I have to finish the king's quest first?
Yes.

2. Speaking of which, I now have the Writ from the dwarves' king, but I bought the tiny boat (not the schooner) well before I obtained it and now I can't use the Writ. What do I do now?
You don't need to use the writ to use the boat.  The writ can just hang uselessly in your inventory and it shouldn't affect anything.  Though if you wanted the cash back, yes, you would need to load an savefile before you purchased the boat.

3. Around what level do I need to be in order to be strong enough to swim underwater when I reach Quill's Island (or whatever it's called)?
I haven't played the content that was recently added to this game, such as this minigame, but I really doubt Juno(the author) would make it absolutely impossible to proceed below the average level.

4. How do I get William to decide on the color green for the scarf I need? I'm trying to buy a bolt of silk for Lillian, and I have enough money. He just won't decide on a color!
Do this on your way back from Thornbury, not before purchasing the coal.
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

JerrySD

• Tier 3
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »
For the breathing in the water cavern, go back out and grab the empty bottle, when your running out of air, use the empty bottle to expand the time.

Glad your enjoying the game, I really enjoyed it as well. The second book should come out before the years end according to Juno.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:17:54 AM by JerrySD »

Amaranth

• Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Thanks, guys. (I didn't know I had to go to my inventory and USE the bottles underwater. I thought they'd work automatically. :P)

I remembered another thing I need help with. Where the heck is the magical torch in the Ancient Ruins?

Examples of my skills:

JerrySD

• Tier 3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
The magical torch is on the first floor behind a curtain. The first floor has NPCs and no battles. If you can't get through the curtain the first time, exit out and return. It happened to me and others that we couldn't access the area behind the curtain for some reason.

Amaranth

• Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to wait until the second book is out to go save the boy, though . . . I finished the demo. :vikonsmile:

UPDATE: Never mind! I restarted the game 'cause I was so bored yesterday, and now the boy is saved. ;) All I have to do now is get the Coalbrim, get the stupid scarf, and head for home.

But does anybody remember exactly where in the mountain tunnels the Cured Waterskin is? That thing is useful, and I didn't come across it on my second romp through this section for some reason.

Oops! Forgot that the Cured Waterskin's in Sephus's house. Nowhere near the mountains. Heheh. But my search wasn't a total waste of time. I leveled up a bit more!

And the Salaseren ain't so tough . . . once you're at level nineteen and can keep her stunned long enough for Arthur's poisoned arrows to do her in. I just wish all my hard work could've counted for something. (I'll get 'er in Book II. Just you wait!)

Oh, and I laughed for a full fifteen minutes because Cerberus respawned after I beat him. :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:10:42 AM by Amaranth »

Examples of my skills:

JerrySD

• Tier 3
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
I didn't even fight the Salaseren yet because I heard you can't find the ring in the demo (I think that's the same quest) and it's also very challenging to kill in Book 1.

Besides that, I did every other sidequest that can be completed.

I wonder who's going to join the party in book 2.

Spoiler: show
Juno heavily hinted that Skylark joins as a cleric. But besides her, there is so many other characters out there that its going to be interesting. I still want to find out what Torbulus was up to.