Author Topic: Hope Afloat - Zombie-Apocalypse RPG  (Read 6825 times)

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
Hope Afloat - Zombie-Apocalypse RPG
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »

Storyline
Hope Afloat is about a man, named Kyle, and his chance of ridding the world of the infection. After the first gameplay segment, you are on a raft just off the coast. You can travel to different areas to get more food, ammo, weapons and cure the area forever. Will you survive? Or will you perish like the others?

Characters

Name: Kyle Maconbe (Pronounced Mac-n-bee).
Home: Emberville.
Hobbies: Upgrading weaponry, writing in his journal, talking to his imaginary friend; Joe, and surviving.

Missions & Walkthroughs
Emberville
First off, grab the ammunition (A red square-like object) off the table. This will give you an extra 15 bullets. After that, leave the house through the door.

Once outside, it will tell you the controls to fire your pistol (Hold Shift to draw your weapon. You may change direction while it is drawn but cannot move. To fire a bullet, press Space Bar. To undraw your weapon, let go of shift) and for you to head directly up. Kill the zombies, if you wish, and to learn how you use your weapons. Note that they don't all have to be dead to continue.

If you get stuck in a sticky situation and are out of ammo, there are 3 ammo clips located around the map:
Spoiler: Ammo Location 1 • show
In a small, relitively safe, fenced off area.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 2 • show
Hidden behind the rubble of a collapsed building to your upper-left.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 3 • show
In the alley-way near where you start. Hard to protect because you do not always have a clear line of fire.

Once you reach the raft and climb the ramp you have completed the mission. Remember not to use all your ammo, as you will need it in the next mission unless you return to Emberville again.

Ashaven
Ashaven is the first town in the game you see "sprinters"; zombies who can run faster than the player. A good idea is to run down and left into a little area, then push the box up (Read "Ashaven Blockade" in Easter Eggs and other little Goodies for help) to block the path of the zombies.

Then go up and right and there will be a clip of ammo. Use it and try to aim for the sprinters so that you don't have to worry about them later on in the game. After you have cleared the way, head down all the way and search the boxes for a "Keycard". Remember; the "Keycard" won't appear in your inventory; this is not a glitch.

Spoiler: Keycard Location • show
The Keycard to access the Van is located in this box:

Next, head to the blockade that prevents you from getting to the car. Interact with the right side of it to open it. Once inside, head to the open barrel closest to you and receive the Keys.

Spoiler: Keys Location • show
The keys are in the barrel that Kyle is facing. Just press Space Bar when you are at his location to get them.

This item won't appear either. Then head to the car and interact with the door and you have completed the mission.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 1 • show
Hidden by the Display. In the corner of the 2 boxes.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 2 • show
Just next to the larger destroyed building in the south-east corner.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 3 • show
In the bottom-left corner, beside a group of boxes.

Spoiler: Ammo Location 4 • show
Hidden in the barrel in the fenced off area to the Top East. To get in you'll need the Keycard.

Military Base 1
The Military Base 1 is, actually, overrun. After the cutscene run straight up into the destroyed building directly above you and take the shotgun and the pistol ammo. Do not shoot the Giant Zombie yet, he walks slow but after you shoot it a couple of times he gains speed to match yours.

Spoiler: Shotgun Location • show

Next; head to the building to the right. Make sure you can quickly take the 2 shotgun ammo without being trapped inside by the Giant Zombie.

Then, head up to the top building and grab the 2 shotgun ammo and the pistol ammo. There is also a bit of ammo scattered around the place. Next is to fight the Giant Zombie.

To swap to the shotgun, press Escape, press Spacebar at Item, then at the Shotgun Image. Then you should here a confirmation *beep* and after you exit the menu you can fire the shotgun the same way as the pistol.

The shotgun has a good blow-back power. 1-2 squares. It has 8 shots per pack.

Anchore
In Anchore there is a twist; there is no ammunition lying around but there are 2 ways of leaving the town. There is no ammunition lying around because there is a shop where you can buy most of what you need including Healing Items and Ammunition.

There are only normal zombies, too, no sprinters. So sigh of relief right now.

One way to leave is by talking to the Shop Owner and paying him $200 to unlock his door which leads to a secret and safe way back.

Spoiler: The door • show

The other way is to go to the building to the right, interact with the door to climb to the top and talk to the box. Inside the box is a flare and once you activate it a helicopter comes and picks you up.

Spoiler: The Box • show

Inside the shop you can purchase Ammunition for your weapons (as you get more weapons new ammunition will become available) and First Aid Spray. First Aid Spray heals your character.

Demo Releases v3.5.
Beta Release v3.5 at 2shared.com

Easter Eggs and other Little Goodies
Emberville:
Spoiler: Emberville Sign • show
Nothing in Emberville is interactive, except for the sign. If you read it it will look like this:

Inside the Raft Shelter:
Spoiler: Shelter Candle • show
You can turn the light on and off, like this:
<-- On
<-- Off

Spoiler: Disturbed - Down with the Sickness • show
If you go up to the pot plant and use the action-button, it will play Disturbed - Down with the Sickness.

Ashaven
Spoiler: Ashaven Blockade • show
Can be moved to each of the red squared. Where the arrow is pointing is where it starts off. If the box moves on to your character you will die instantly. Beware but also use it to block zombies.

Spoiler: Ashaven Sign • show
Another sign but unaffected by the infection and still reads what it once said:

Notes and News
Note: All people who have contributed in any way will be in the Credits at the end of the game.
24th of July, '09: Release of Beta Demo. Also, in other news, 4 days until my birthday.
25th of July, '09: Now the Beta Demo is available at MegaUpload.com. Also, 3 days until my birthday.
26th of July, '09: Beta Demo v2.1 now available at 2shared.com and MegaUpload.com.
27th of July, '09: Removal of MegaUpload.com link because of download errors. Also the release of version 2.5; now including Ashaven.
28th of Jule, '09: Version 3.0 now available. Also; Today is my birthday :D .
12th of August, '09: Back to work. Had a break :D .
13th of August, '09: Beta Demo v3.5 now available at 2shared.com.

Suggestions and C&C are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:58:23 PM by Tomo2000 »

Lotus

• Tier 4
Re: Hope Afloat - Zombie-Apocalypse RPG
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
Wow, this looks very interesting. But is it scary?? :( The title screen looks unsettling to me. 

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »
The game isn't scary. The titlescreen was meant to be a little unsettling. The music in the game isn't too scary, either. Overall, it is more of a shooting game; get out your pistol and blast some zombies :D .

Hope you download it and enjoy it. All the controls you need are told to you in-game.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »
Sounds good to me. But some download www?
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
Im not exactly sure what www is (but im going to guess the website) :o but the download likes are under "Demo Release". I'll make that section glow to get your attention  :reivsmile: .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 06:56:03 PM by Tomo2000 »

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Ooh, zombies! I'm going to check this demo out . . . after all my work for school is finished. :P

I'm betting that "www" is shorthand for "Where, where, where?" :D
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Ah, ok. Thanks, Amaranth. If, by school work, you are doing Geography or Algraba (not sure on spelling :D ) I usully get stuck on a question, take a nap, then attemt the question again  ;D .

Amaranth

• Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I really wish I could use it, but things aren't that simple. I was very sick at the end of my last semester, so I have to make up the tests I missed.

Oh, college, wilt thou ever look kindly upon me? :-[

Examples of my skills:

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »
Thanks. At 1:09 AM my brain isn't sharp after all day moving (home and my body).
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Tell me how you like the demo after you are finished playing. The game features a unique shooting system. Enjoy  :gothat!:

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:49 PM »
[Soz for the double post]
Now Beta Release v2.1. Now features the Raft, inside the Shelter, 2 new Easter Eggs and other goodies, and the Return to Emberville sub-mission.

Amaranth

• Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »
Well, I'm crazy bored, so I downloaded the file and tried to start playing. But the game shut down as soon as I double-clicked. This happened with Lunarea's work, too. It must be my computer. I don't know what the problem is, though---other RGSS games have worked just fine. Hmm . . .

Examples of my skills:

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
Hmm... Maybe you could try reinstalling the RGSS file for XP.

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
  This problem can also occur due to the (lack of) RTP files.
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

Tomo2000

• Tier 2
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
Thats what I meant, not RGSS; RTP. Thanks for that.