Author Topic: An Experiment  (Read 1953 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
An Experiment
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »
If this gets stolen... well, I would be very sad.  :'(

Anyway, I had this idea a while back to try and make a love theme by putting together a guy's theme and a girl's theme, and this is the fruit of my experiment. (It's sort of like a musical sketch in a way, by no means an actual piece.)
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: An Experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »
Nifty. Sounds really soothing, and it flows very well. I'm not hearing much of the guy's theme + girl's theme thing, though, but that's probably due to how it's all just harp due to technical difficulties. Is it the first half vs. the second half?

P.S. Now that I listen to it again, there're actually some parts that sounds rather Asian-ish. o: E.g. 0:48-0:50.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
Mmmm. I like it. It remides me Ultima Online (First MMORPG still populart and have many versions.)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32:04 AM »
Nice job! I'm with reives though, i can't really see the guy/girl themes.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
Hm, really? The guy's theme by itself is from :01 to :38, the girls from :38 to :53, and then I mixed them together. It takes the arpeggios (and more of the chord progression) from the girls theme, while the guy's theme is the melody, and then the girl's melody also joins in.

I'm attaching another MIDI that's a more heroic treatment of the guy's theme, so maybe you can pick it out easier.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
I think I can see the tune that you're wanting, but it still doesn't seem very man-womanish, cuz its all so slow and peaceful.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
Hehe, yeah, I see what you mean. I WAS going to put the guy's theme on the guitar, but my normal music program is kaputt right now, so I'm stuck with Finale Notepad, which I don't know how to work very well and has some limitations anyway since it's only supposed to be a demo basically. Maybe when I get a real music program I'll revisit this.

Also, this isn't just generic guy/girl anyway. Their names are Mihwe and Antiela and they're characters from my story.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
Ahhh now that I listened to the song that the guy's theme is from, I can hear it. But yeah, due to the limit of the single instrument, it's a little tricky.

By the way, I think one way to add a different instrument for that is just to copy all the notes on the harp staff, create a new file with all the different instruments, then paste it on there. Kind of a hassle, though.

im them

• Tier 5
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 01:12:54 AM »
i like!  :seraismile:
i did notice a slight guy-girl theme, but that's probably because i was looking for it!  :)
i like the way the girl's theme kind of got faster and happier! it was actually the girl's part that made me  think of the beginning as a guy's part, though!
it's nice and soothing and hopeful and happy! atleast, that's what i think about it!
a dangerous psychopath is reading this :p