Author Topic: Arwym's Sketchpad  (Read 10566 times)

Berkeley

Re: Arwym's Sketchpad
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
I guess Amaranth's suggestion is the best solution (changing the color of the belt, so that the tunic isn't that eye-catching in a negative way). The other colours are alright, it's not essential to change them, since it's just the strong blue-brown combination which could cause eyestrain for people like me, because we have weak eyes. >.>

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
Thank you.  The problem with the belt is that its leather material makes it brown.  Although I could try changing the color, I'm not sure of how much I can really change it.

I made the blue a bit lighter now, hoping that it won't be so strong.  I hope it doesn't make it worse, but I'm assuming that a lighter blue, in this particular case, would make the color combination less... clashing.

The outfit has to be a solid blue by default, though.  Because she is a Blue Wizard.  :P

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
Hey, that's an awesome outfit Arwym! And nice retro style, that'll probably pull a lot of people in just by itself. :reivsmile:

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »
Yeah!  Retro FTW.  SQ has a lot of potential and we get a lot of good feedback from those who try it.  Putting the system's flaws aside (we don't have much control over that at this time, unfortunately), we are told that the way we have executed this idea is very good.

First, the atmosphere: the way in which we immerse the players into the game's world, the stories, the NPC's, etc.; the resulting effect is that we make it feel like you're playing an offline game, because few online RPG's have such depth.  And it'll have more depth soon, because we're still working on the world, its lore, the stories, characters, etc..  However, the game is definitely online.

Also, the detailed mapping, which is all done with a basic ASCII character set in various colors, has produced mixed opinions.  Some say it hurts their eyes, and others find the experience very refreshing.  I think that, thanks to having various layers for mapping, we have created a very unique mapping style.  I have never seen default ASCII characters used in the way we do, for mapping.

The music: Wolfgang, the other developer, chooses the music.  All of the tracks are legally free, and in my opinion, they're good choices.  Perhaps you wouldn't expect a piano piece playing as you explore the forest (although you did something similar in Q-TBV, and the atmosphere worked pretty well), but I personally love it.

I only wish we could overcome our engine's limitations.  There are soooo many bugs.  I'm studying a new engine, which is open source, but it requires C++ programming knowledge, although I believe we could still manage it.

Everyone, feel free to try the game, but I'll be honest: don't expect too much from it yet.  We're still working on it... although there's enough to keep you entertained for hours.  We'll have a whole new set of areas opening very soon, so stay tuned!

Give the game a chance, and see its visual style as an opportunity to experience something different, and to use your imagination.

Sorry, I got carried away.  XD

Berkeley

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 06:06:54 PM »
Hm, I think the outfit should stay dark blue. After looking at the unchanged version again I've realised that you can get used to it. The newer one is a bit uneasier one the eye than the other one. (I'm sorry for causing inconvenience. I blame my weak eyes. :x)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »
LOL, okay.  :)  Luckily, I still had an old copy of the original around.

And thus, here's the banner.

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
Agreement! Woo! And yay for the banner! :D
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

faitch

• Tier 2
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:39 AM »
It looks pretty great , maybe a little arrangement with the nose to make it look a little more real but otherwise that drawing is really great

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 04:02:16 AM »
Yay! Nice ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
It looks pretty great , maybe a little arrangement with the nose to make it look a little more real but otherwise that drawing is really great

Nose?  The nose isn't supposed to be visible and the drawing is not meant to look real.  XD  But thanks.  :)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »
I have some sketches on my notebook that I haven't been able to scan due to scanner problems (yet again!).  So I picked up my tablet for the first time in a few months and opened GIMP, started sketching a bit, drew an eye with exaggerated eyelashes, and eventually came out with this random person:

It's a result of boredom and nothing serious, so don't mind the errors too much.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »
Hey, that's really cool, Arwym! I think you definitely got a style being developed. Sort of a cross between Disney and anime, heheh.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 04:53:06 AM »
She is soooo Cute~! I like it ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Delphinus

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
Wow, almost looks like real!! Nice!!  :vikonsmile:

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:15 PM »
Thank you, guys!  I appreciate it.

Hey, that's really cool, Arwym! I think you definitely got a style being developed. Sort of a cross between Disney and anime, heheh.

Hehe, that is interesting.  Especially considering that early anime was influenced by Disney; then, like a friend says, anime is now influenced by other anime, which explains how and why the general style has changed so much and now the most recent series seem to follow a very similar style (which I don't like very much; I prefer each artist to have their unique style and show it to the world).  Now, anime is back to its roots, but vice versa, because Disney is now being influenced by anime more every day, and so are many American cartoons, if you haven't noticed.  XD

So, what you say makes sense.  :)  I consider my style to be a bit like "retro anime style": something from the artists' styles in the past two decades.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:30:09 PM by Arwym »