Author Topic: Arwym's Sketchpad  (Read 9902 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
Arwym's Sketchpad
« on: June 05, 2009, 03:57:14 AM »
Okay!

Ever since I discovered a wonderful program called ArtRage, I feel the urge to draw, draw, draw.  So I'll start posting some sketches here.

Don't be too harsh, by the way.  I'm usually aware of my mistakes, especially when it comes to human anatomy.  Criticism is welcome, of course, but please keep that in mind.

First one:

Arwym (the real one) - fixed mouth placement

What is so wonderful about this program is that everything feels and acts natural.  Just like the real tools.  So this is actually a digital pencil sketch.  However, it looks quite like a scanned pencil sketch.

My current avatar is based off that sketch.  Although I actually prefer the sketch version much more.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:45:46 PM by Arwym (آرویم) »

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Berkeley

Re: Arwym's Sketchpad
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:49:38 AM »
Hey, that's cool. Your sketch is cute. The only thing that bothers me is the distance between nose & mouth, it's just a bit too big.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:11 AM »
Yeah, I totally agree on that.  Until I get to fix it, you can excuse my mistake with a "She's making one of those long faces..."  Arwym is actually that kind of person.  XD  Either serious, annoyed, or simple inexpressive.

Funny...  I was actually gonna fix that.  How did I forget?  >.<

Thanks!

EDIT:  Fixed!  Let me know what you think now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:40:33 AM by Arwym »

Obsession

• Tier 2
  • There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:16:57 AM »
Very nice, the correction appears to have paid off. The softwares effect seems very similar to that of twistedbrush, which executes similar styles with its brushes.

Berkeley

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:29:34 AM »
Yeah, it's much better now. :seraismile: Very nicely done! =)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
I wish i could draw like that
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Lunarea

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »
Your proportions are still off. So, here's the drawing with better proportions:

What I did:
- Brought the lefts side of the face in so the eye is closer to the nose (so it mirrors the left side of the face better.
- Lowered the nose and the mouth closer to the bottom of the chin
- Moved the mouth even closer to the nose
- Shortened the face.

Facial proportions can be pretty hard to get the hang of. My suggestion would be to use the lines to help guide you. Try a tutorial like this one to help you with the placement :)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
Thank you.

I use the guides sometimes, sometimes I don't.  It doesn't always work for me.  They sometimes get in the way instead of helping me.  Yeah, that is more properly proportioned.  XD  Well... thank you for taking your own time to do that.  As for my own works, sometimes I get the proportions right, sometimes I don't.  My art (if you can call it that) is very inconsistent...

Hm...  Problem with Art Rage is that there doesn't seem to be a selection tool.  If I moved this to another program and played around with the lines, the texture of the canvas would be gone, which is what just happened.  I don't want it to disappear.  So the only choice is to redraw, which I was/am too lazy to do.  So I'll just leave it as it is.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:40:57 PM by Arwym »

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
It's actually very well drawn, just needed a little tweak. Your proportions in terms of how each piece relates to another (nose vs mouth vs eye) were actually spot on. It was just a matter of positioning them on the face.

I have and use Photoshop (which I would recommend if you're looking for an art program, else I've heard Graphics Gale is comparable if you want a free program). Have you tried MS Paint? It's usually decent at preserving texture.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
LOL, well...  Adobe Photoshop has been what I've used since I found it in like 2005.  It was a jump from MS Paint to Adobe Photoshop 7.  I use it for coloring, but I don't like to draw in it.  I simply don't.  I love Art Rage for drawing.  It feels very natural.  Another program I like is Easy Paint Tool SAI, but it's not freeware, and I can't afford it at this time.

I've tried many programs specifically for drawing.  While I'm comfortable with The GIMP and Photoshop for other things, they're not my choice to draw.  So for that particular thing, I prefer Pixia (mostly just lineart here), Art Rage, and SAI.  Art Rage being my favorite now.

It really depends on one's style and personal preferences, I guess...  But I like my drawings to look and feel natural.  There was a time when I was all for CG art, and left traditional art behind, stopped practicing, and the consequences are, I haven't progressed much in the last... 6 years or something.  It's really frustrating.

Thank you, Lunarea.  :)

Okay, here's another:

Deirdre

This was drawn several months ago, and it's really sketchy, but I still love it.  I love the pose and the dress, which may not be perfect but, then again, I rarely draw dynamic poses.

I have better drawings on paper than in digital form.  I got a new printer/scanner in April, and guess what?  It stopped working after a few uses.  I just have bad luck with electronic devices...  So I can't scan any more drawings...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:45:24 PM by Arwym (آرویم) »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
How nice.  :o

I realy like it, but she seems so sad to me.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
How nice.  :o

I realy like it, but she seems so sad to me.

Thank you.  :)

Deirdre, you say?  In a way, she is.  Her name, after all, means Sorrow.  There is just so much inside of her.

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
I don't have a tablet, so I'm pretty limited in terms of what I can do with art. I do enjoy my traditional medium work, but I often don't get enough time to finish things. I mostly stick with pixel art since it's easier and less time-consuming to do the lineart.  Right now, at most I'd use an art program would be to edit work or digitally ink/color. And Photoshop works so well for me (thanks to the layers!). I have heard good things about SAI, however, particularly when making a comic or complex coloring of a piece.

Deirdre (love the name, by the way!) does look sad. I think you did pretty well with her :)

Berkeley

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »
Your last sketch is really beautiful, Arwym. Well done! :)

Lotus

• Tier 4
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 02:08:22 AM »
The first one reminds me of Lilo & Stitch, hehe! I think it's because of the nose.

The second one's really pretty. She looks content instead of sad to me, though. :seraismile: