Author Topic: Sunset Over Imdahl (by Teo Mathlein)  (Read 17137 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Sunset Over Imdahl (by Teo Mathlein)
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
I'm playing this game right now, it's rather neat. Its graphic style and perspectives reminded me of my favourite RPG (something that probably no one here has heard of), all hand-drawn.

Thought I'd share it here. It's made by Teo Mathlein.

Dl link from rpggames4free:
Click (only 2mb)

A non-battle RPG, taking place throughout the seasons of the year of a city under siege. You play as Lohn, a young boy who fate has made the sole survivor of the town. Going through the streets in desperation, Lohn meets a nobly dressed man, who offers him a chance to bring his hometown back to life. Without knowing his intentions, Lohn accepts on the man's offer, and the game begins.

Sunset Over Imdahl was made in rm2k and utilizes hand-drawn backdrops over tile-based mapping. The game is short, containing only a few hours of gameplay, however, is a completed project of the highest standard..

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:01:27 AM by Reives »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Sunset of Imdahl (by Teo Mathlein)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
Finished it.

It was really good imo, I enjoyed it quite a lot (and had me hooked until I finished it). The constant time-traveling mechanic is very neat, and
Spoiler: show
was the main thing that made it rather touching for me; to be able to go back to Spring or Summer and see everyone so cheerful and the town so lively, when you just came from Autumn / Winter and you know they're all about to suffer.

The one thing that really ticked me off though, is the bat mini-game near the end. I don't know if it's my comp or what, but the control was horrible.

The ending was good, but I really wish it could've shown it a little more from the town folks' perspective one last time, even if just one little glimpse of a scene showing everyone living, rather than ending with someone who I don't really care about.

There's also a bit of a plot hole with the time traveling thing, but *shrug* I could look past it.

But aye, I highly recommend trying this out. Not only fun, but also has a lot of things to learn from.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:17:50 PM by Reives »

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
One issue i've been thinking about for a while is

Ok we start the game in the future the boy who name alludes me is getting out of the building and after walking for a bit you meet the general of the invading army this general opens a gateway to the past so you can try and prevent this disaster from occuring however through physical contact the general gives you the plague that you will ironically spread to everyone you come in contact with while trying to stop this from happening to cut straight to the point final battle between you and the general you supposedly survive but will die from the plague anyways  now for the question if he dies from the plague how does he leave the building in the beginning in the game to start the events which lead to his supposed and everyone elses dead

Edit: Two things to add, first GIANT wall of text warning. Second most of this is straight from memory so some of the details are foggy.

Edit2: Shoot didn't notice you already mentioned the plot hole aww well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:34:46 PM by Dreadsteed »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
I suppose one excuse could be that the future has changed, which was shown possible by the beggar no longer "lost his key" a few months ago after you altered it so that you got the key from him in the Spring. But then that'd still be a bit glitchy when it comes to the temporal loop thing, if you don't think of them as separate instances.

That's not the plot hole I was thinking of though, actually. The one I was thinking about is that since at the end, Lohn pretty much went back home and lived his life up until the point everyone died, he would then actually have the memory of meeting the general in the "future". And so, in the future when  he arrives at the point where they meet, he still actually has that memory to avoid it, yet the loop starts as if he didn't meet, which is the only way it could start.

This is why time traveling things are so screwy. :P If you get into it, it's hard to not have any plot holes involving it.

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
Alright your plot hole makes more sense
I assumed our friend Lohn died shortly after the battle and didn't go to the future to meet the general. Oh and if the general dies in future by lohn, how do they meet in the first place? Meh my head hurts. But I l like thinking about things like these their fun to contemplate.

If he or anyone that is related to his birth dies early in the past he has no future, but if he dies in the future does he only live up to that point in the past....

Then theirs the paradox that you can't prevent your own future from happening so if you travel to the past you will kill the wrong person, you won't find the person you want to kill etc.

I'm thinking myself to death. I am gone Reiver, I have to go to school in 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:57:55 AM by Dreadsteed »

Lotus

• Tier 4
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Do I need anything else to play this?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
^yeah, do we? when i get to the title screen, it won't let me do anything. please help!

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »
You shouldn't need anything. And Vasha, Did you launch from RPG_RT.exe in the folder? Where did it get stuck at; the one where it displays Start Continue Exit?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »
Yeah, that's the place, and that's where i started it from

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »
It's been awhile since I played this game.  Absolute masterpiece.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:53:54 AM »
Haven't gotten this yet, but is this made w/a different RM program? It doesn't look like RMXP...
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
It's made with RM2k. c:

And hm Vasha, I'm not sure what the problem is then. Pressing enter and stuff does nothing at the title menu?

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
  I cannot pass  the button mashing minigame, and it's ruining my laptop.  Does anyone have a savefile that can get me past this?
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
@Reives: Nope, doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure I tried all of the keys, and it still doesn't do anything.

:'(*sigh* :'(

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »
@KRoP:
I might have one, since there're a lot of save slots. Could you remind me of the events that happen before it? (In spoiler though :P )

@Vasha:
Hm, weird. . . Do you use Windows Vista by any chance?