Author Topic: Internet Leaks  (Read 1819 times)

zekallinos

• Tier 5
Internet Leaks
« on: May 23, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
I've noticed recently that there are more and more softwares, games and movies that are leaked onto the internet days before release. Latest being Sims 3. This'll probably turn into a piracy discussion, but what do you think of this? Great occasion to grab the game beforehand? Do you think it's a little unfair that some people can get it weeks before the official release? Then again, anyone can access it.

From what I've heard, that release is the real one, probably by an employee of some store (they always get the boxes in advance).

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Internet Leaks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
I suppose the main effect is that it gives people a lot more incentives. Even those who are loyal and would usually pay for it may be lured away by the earlier retrieval, and although they could technically pay for it when it comes out, it's a lot harder to do when you already have the game in your pocket. If it's caused by employees at random branches stealing the packages, could they perhaps do something about securing the shipments?

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
I think people should just be honest and pay for something if the maker wants it paid for. It's basically stealing, and I hope if they find the employees that leaked it that they're fired. It means the honest people have to pay more to make up for the money lost.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
If it's caused by employees at random branches stealing the packages, could they perhaps do something about securing the shipments?

This would be ideal, but a little hard to do no? Unless they put a time lock or something, the games need to be prepared for sale sooner or later.

Freebird Games

• Administrator
  • Tier 7
  • Reives is my servant.
    • Freebird Games {Quintessence - TBV, The Mirror Lied, Do You Remember My Lullaby}
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »
I was originally thinking of one of those electronically locked boxes where if you cut the wire, it sounds an alarm. But then they could just take it home and then do it.

Leeor

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »
Leaks are okay or not okay, depending on the game...

Torrents and http are okay.(but slow)

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
It differs when the leaks are taking place, seems like most of these leaks are before the games are mass produced but are ready to be mass produced and sent to retailers like gamestop or so I believe.

But that wouldn't make much sense so I'm assuming after rtm but before an offical release to the public but if its at that stage than what can the developers do? they can hope the retailers or its employees don't break Non Disclosure Agreement in anyway before official release.

I guess they could insert code which doesn't allow execution until after a certain date or time but that could prolly be worked around in some way..

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
The non-disclosure can't really be enforced unless you make the new product available to anyone. If the shop's owner feels like giving their employees a free copy of the game, no one'll go after him. My local card store always play with the cards of a new editions a few days before it is actually released.

By the way, The Sims 3 was set to be released in February, but got delayed for marketing reasons.

Reading some of the internet news, it seems that "The game crashes all the time" and that "Half the world is not available". This brings a theory : could EA have released this "Demo" on purpose? The game was originally delayed due to lack of hype.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Zekallinos: unlikly... EA has a bad rep, as of late, for releasing games too quickly with little thought on detail, chances are this was another rushed project that came to bite them in the --- before they could get it out in stores.
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.