Author Topic: NotePad Help  (Read 2463 times)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
NotePad Help
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
I finally got Finale Notepad 2007, but I don't quite know where everything is on it. It's on german, and I don't know very much german. So far the things i would like help with are:

• How to actually make the songs STOP at a certain point
  • If there is a way to change what instruments are in the song after you have started writing music
  • How to get the notes softer/louder (i can't find the stuff for it, and some of the instruments are really quite right now)
  • The bars that are supposed to make part of the song repeat don't make it repeat[
  • Is there an ENGLISH download for free somewhere?

At least for now that's all, thanks for any help that you guys can give!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:03:22 PM by Vasha »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: NotePad Help
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »
Finale isn't just German (I've never seen a German version actually, hahah). The 2009 version is on their website ( http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/ ) but I think you have to pay for that version, but not the previous ones (2007 2008 etc.).

I think Finale Notepad has pretty much the same interface as the normal Finale from what I remember, so the following is under the assumption:

1. What do you mean stop at a certain point? As in put an ending to it? If so, select all the bars after it with the Select button (the same-ish icon as in Photoshop), then delete them via Delete button.

2. Yes; on the left side of the screen should be the list of instruments, and beside their names are arrows pointing down (list); click on that and it'll give you the other instruments that you can make it to.

3. Click the button "mf", and use the pppp to ffff; ffff is loudest pppp is quietest.

4. ? Not sure why it's not repeating; how you are making the repeat bars appear right now? Are you play-backing with the playback button instead of the quick preview space+click function?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
I got it from the site that was linked to for the 'To Realize' sheet music, but it downloaded it (and the site was) in German. (http://www.klemm-music.de/coda/notepad2008/)

This is what the screen looks like (I was just messing around with a tune a bit):
Spoiler: show

1)  Yeah, after I posted this, I thought it might just be that, but it seemed like there would be an easier way.

2)  I have the instruments that I'm USING, but no down arrows.

3)  I don't think I have a button like that.

4)  I meant like the two bars with the dots behind them (see the picture), so that it will repeat without being told.

EDIT: another question, how do i change the speed of the notes IN-SONG, i know how to change it overall, but i want the speed to change partway through.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:33:51 AM by Vasha »

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:52:44 AM »
I'm using 2008, but I have the 2007 version installed.
2) (English Version)Window -> Instrument List -> Go crazy

3) Smart Shape Tool -> Go crazy with dynamics (louder/softer)
     NOTE: To set a dynamic at the beginning, click Articulation Tool and click where you want to place the articulation. Fermatas, FPs, etc are all there

4) Repeat bars are merely graphical on the screen; they are placed so that you know to repeat when you print it and play it

5) Yes, there is an English Download. Google.com -> Search "Finale Notepad 2008 English" -> Find site that has the software -> Download -> Install

2008 works better for me because it can save as MIDI files.
As for you edit...
EDIT) I don't think you can, with Notepad. If you are willing to pay, then buy Finale (Allegro or normal) and see what you can do.                           
MY EDIT: If you don't want to keep having to press play everytime you want to listen to what you wrote over and over again, then get Fruity Loops Studio
     Unfortunately, it costs money. I, however, got a torrent from my friend
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:01:23 AM by mepwnn »
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
we used to have 'printmusic' (by the same people i think), but my brother has it now. if he's not using it, then i'll try to get it from him and then ALL my problems will be over!  :reivsmile:

2)  I mean if I accidentaly put in the wrong instrument (which is easy to do with german text) and finished, then want to change which instrument it is. If that's what you're talking about, then sweet, can you tell me how far down the button is? (mine is in german, so i don't know)

3)  Again, i don't know where that is/what it looks like because my version is german.

4)  the program doesn't repeat? that's stupid. oh well, i guess this question is closed now.

5)  is that how you got to it? i tried something like that before, but all that it came to was 2009 (which isn't free)

On a much awesomer note, I printed off the 'To Realize' sheetmusic and am trying to play it on the family piano  :reivsmile:

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
2) In Instrument List, you should see a table. It will be in this order from left to right

Staff Name, M, S, Vol, Pan, Instrument (This is the name you see on the left), Chan, B, Prog, GM
GM has a drop list that has all the instrumental MIDI plugins. Select that one and, to avoid confusion, rename the instrument

3) I will refer to your Screen shot for this.
     The smart shape tool is 3 left from the tool you have selected at the moment (the Lyrics tool). To make it go quicker, just go to the
     bottom left tool bar on the Main Bar and select one of the five Smart Shapes (they are next to the playback controls, the play, stop, etc buttons)
     For your question, use the < or > symbols for Decrescendos or Crescendos.

4) Glad I could help

5)Try this link
http://finale-notepad-2008.software.informer.com/ for your download. Hopefully it works.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
5)Try this link
http://finale-notepad-2008.software.informer.com/ for your download. Hopefully it works.

YES!!!! it worked!!! thank you SOOOOO much, now i can finally understand completely what I'm doing! if i actually still have any problems (which i shouldn't), i'll keep this unlocked. but that should be all that i needed.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »
5)Try this link

YES!!!! it worked!!! thank you SOOOOO much, now i can finally understand completely what I'm doing! if i actually still have any problems (which i shouldn't), i'll keep this unlocked. but that should be all that i needed.

Lol to your comment

Just to clarify...
     1) You cannot put in a legato pedal, or any pedal marker for that matter
     2) Notepad tends to... exaggerate Dynamics. For example, my first piece had an mF that sounded like an F
     3) No way to change the tempo. The starting tempo is set throughout the entire piece, which kind of kills feeling and emotion
     4) I haven't worked out the Repeat function next to the Tempo setter
That should just about sum up most of your future questions. Ask me if you have anymore

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »
( Hey, thanks for helping him Mepwn! :reivsmile: )

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:45 AM »
( Hey, thanks for helping him Mepwn! :reivsmile: )
No problem!