Author Topic: Arranged Marriage  (Read 7708 times)

Leeor

Re: Arranged Marriage
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »
I really think arranged marriages are not good,beacause the majority of them
are mindless,hasty,and for greed. I think YOU should be able to choose who will you marry.

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
I agree with Leeor on this one, you should have the ability to choose If you want your marriage arranged.
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
I don't really think they should be forced, especially not in cultures where we're not used to marriages being arranged. I just don't think they deserve the bad rap they get in Western Society.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Dovydas

• Tier 3
  • The dragon lives on...
    • Toa's Union Gaming
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:11:41 AM »
My mother's aunt has an arranged marriage. Well, not really arranged, just it isn't of love. It was a bad time with money for my great-grandmother, and my mother's aunt agreed to marry a somewhat richer person. Oh, and he was a very, very distant relative. So distant it didn't even count as incest. In general, my great-grandmother belongs to a noble family and so... it was like in the Renaissance times, no marriages from lesser stock.
And now my mother's aunt is spending her life whining about it. To whom? To my great-grandmother, causing depression. Fortunately, my grandmother did something about that: she isolated my great-grandmother from her.
So that's a very bad example of what happens with arranged marriages.
And either way, our culture has a long line of banning arranged marriages even with noble families. One of our (Lithuanian) rulers, Kestutis, married a girl who had only the slightest trace of noble descent. Arranged marriages and marriages that aren't of love are unbelievably rare and taboo.
(That arranged marriage I told you about happened in Soviet times.)

Candide

• Tier 6
  • I'm the bomb. Like tick, tick.
    • tumblah
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »
I just don't think they deserve the bad rap they get in Western Society.

e_O On the internet, a lot of teenage girls seem to fantasize having arranged marriages with a super hot guy whose family is super rich, owns a mansion, and has a pool. It's depicted in what they write D: The horror.

@Dovydas: D: Things like that are still kinda happening. The part where parents are like "YOU GO MARRY A RICH GUY AND HAVE BABEHS PLZ" or when the children promise to do that even without anyone telling them to do it. It's just frightening, really.

Lotus

• Tier 4
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
e_O On the internet, a lot of teenage girls seem to fantasize having arranged marriages with a super hot guy whose family is super rich, owns a mansion, and has a pool. It's depicted in what they write D: The horror.
And even worse, they then sometimes make it such that they act like they don't want it even though it's all perfect! And you know they'll always work out before the last page. :angry:

Candide

• Tier 6
  • I'm the bomb. Like tick, tick.
    • tumblah
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 02:31:24 AM »
And even worse, they then sometimes make it such that they act like they don't want it even though it's all perfect! And you know they'll always work out before the last page. :angry:

True that. The whole situation is so cliche itself. As if it'll have a huge chance of happening. Oh, and don't forget, they always discard the idea that they might have a controversial age gap, and copulate, and then there's the total issue of statutory rape :P

Oh nuu, off topic! D:

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »
To me, love and marriage need not be the same things at all. For example, you might marry someone for money, but you can't love someone for money. Sometimes, you would even refrain from marrying someone because you love him/her (e.g. You have a terminal illness and you don't want him/her to marry you and then see you die in front of him/her.) People even marry to secure an alliance. Thus, we have to agree that arranged marriages, especially with people in a high social class, is inevitable and we cannot complain about it. I don't believe in Forbidden Love either - nobody can forbid you from loving someone, but it's true that you may not marry the person you love.

Thus, I guess that to me, arranged marriages are fine. I guess it could be due to the fact that I'm not living in a free country such as the US, but strict confines are needed sometimes to keep us from running amok. I cannot say that I support arranged marriages, but I cannot oppose to it.