Author Topic: Using copyrighted material in free games.  (Read 7333 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Using copyrighted material in free games.
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
As this issue was recently brought up somewhere on this forum, I thought it may be appropriate to make a discussion thread for it to accommodate. I've heard a lot of perspectives on this as of late, but I'm not going to comment myself for now.

So aye, feel free to shed your perspective on it. :reivsmile:

Candide

• Tier 6
  • I'm the bomb. Like tick, tick.
    • tumblah
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Re: Using copyrighted material in free games.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:43:08 AM »
Hmm.. I dun think people should use copyrighted stuff in their games, whether or not they're free. Well, maybe they did buy the music or something, but the slight issue is that when people download the game, and they look in the Audio folder, they get some free copyrighted music. Srsly.

Blahh.. I'm really in the mood for debating right now D:

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »
Frankly, if you are to use copyrighted materials in free games, you should ask the permission of the creator and then ask permission. Even though this *thing* is for a free games, still, you should ask permission or you might be sued for stealing/plagiarism/copy-paste. This is a safety precaution. Of course, you do not want to be in deep water, do you?

So, whether for free games or for commercial, you MUST ask permission.

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
Wow. Somebody actually agrees with me. :o
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:09:50 AM »
Well, in my opinion, a good game starts to be a good game when it's original. So using others's material doesn't make any good, whether it's copyrighted or not.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »
Actually there has been a big stink about this on flash related movies and games, along with some forms of machinima.  Using copyrighted material, usually music, is allowed only if the applicant pays a small fee and signs a form that gives them not only permission but allowance for using said song of album in their works.  In the end the user must note the songs are protected and special allowances were given for use along with the band name and song in the credits and recognitions to help.  Though many argue that this is expensive and time consuming to the individual, in the long run it is more reasonable than having charges or the removal of the song and ruining of your project.

Since I agree with the above procedure, I feel that I am more towards having copyrighted material, music and songs, in my works, but only if I have the right allowances and recognition to the owner of such works so I don't take them and go against copyright law.
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »
And what if the original performer claims he/she doesn't care? One of my favourite bands have claimed that all of their works are totally free, moreover, saleable. They put on all their stuff on their website (actually pretty much and good material, in my opinion), free to download, and they wrote there "download it, sell it, and buy alcohol from the money you get!" :D What about this, is it not against the law?
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »
If the band is, well, stupid enough to not care, and they don't have a record company that cares, that's a different story. But for a lot of them, it IS their living, and I think we should realize that were it not for all the stealing and stuff, we could actually get our songs a lot cheaper, probably.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

nikhed

• Forum lurker ^^;;
  • Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
Personally i think that if someone wants to use copyrighted material in their game, they need to at least talk to the creator of the material to see if its ok, even if the game in question is supposed to be free. and when the author gives permission, then it's fine to use it.
like with the band we have here. even though none of us privately contacted them for permission, it explicitly says on their page that their work can be used even for business ventures (so i would assume it would be fine for free games too)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(><) I shall eat ur branes

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
Depends on your intention.

If you're doing stuff (games, flash, etc) for fun, the screw copyright rules. Anyone preventing you from using stuff is just an idiot who doesn't want society to progress, because not only it won't do any harm, you will be learning stuff (it's more fun to work with nice graphics then sucky 16-color tiles). With the stuff you learned, you may one day create something that will stay in the internet's culture. One could say that you could manage with said 16-color graphics, but that isn't true : it isn't motivating, and without motivation you're not getting anywhere at all.

Copying is the best way to learn. Seriously. Even Picasso said so.

If you intend to have your work known to a certain extent, then it may be good to ask for permission. But it isn't that necessary. There are plenty of videos on youtube with well over 100,000 views and uses music X, and it's uncommon for the original company that has property of that said piece to care. In fact, it makes publicity, so it's stupid for any artist to ask for the music to be removed - even though it's their right.

It goes without saying, though, that anything commercial should make a deal with the original composer/creator/artist/whatever.

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:53:12 AM »
Just wanted to note, copying is different than using. I've seen games use MIDI's of popular songs, I have no trouble with that. Someone took the time to arrange a song for MIDI, it's their right to use it, and allow others to use it if they so wish. But a game using the original song... depends on the circumstance, but that might rankle me a bit. Similarly with graphics. You can either try to copy it yourself, or find someone else to copy it for you.

Are coprighters overprotective of their stuff? Possibly, but it's really their right to do with it as they wish. If they're stingy, it will come back to bite them anyway.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

JinA

• Tier 2
  • You know me, I'm one of those living on Earth! ;)
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
Hmm... I think it is ok if we have the permission and we put credits, then we can use the materials... Original is always good however, composing is not easy (I cannot compose music...) so even though someone can compose his own music, it may not be good, hence, he gotta find an actually good piece... this is about whether he has a good ear to enjoy music and whether he is able to find the appropriate piece for his work. Same thing goes to pictures or any other materials.