Author Topic: Ice  (Read 6976 times)

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
Ice
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
Holden "KRoP" Long presents . . .

You awaken in a frozen tower, filled with statues.  You cannot remember a before, if a before ever existed; you do not know what will happen after, if you live to see that day.  You only know that you must leave this place.
  Ice, when one attempts to classify it to a genre, is a free roaming puzzle game.  There can be more than one way to solve a puzzle, each solution holding it's own consequences; there is an alternate ending, for those talented enough to reach it; many areas in the tower are optional, and hold rewards in the form of plot.  There are no battles, but there is one method through which you can die.  To truly understand Ice, you'd have to play it, and moreso than that, complete it more than once (which shouldn't be much of a problem, as the game is only half an hour to an hour).  With that said, I'll now provide media in the form of screenshots, and a download to the project.
  I realize I'm not providing much information in the way of story and the like, but as the game is so short in length and I really did provide anything that isn't an interpereted part of the plot, I feel this thread does it justice.

Spoiler: show

The game may be downloaded here (click).  The file is only 5 MB.  And a special thanks to Bard for betatesting; without him I wouldn't have been able to post this up here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:15:35 PM by KRoP »
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
This game is actually very tricky...

It took me a few tries to actually get through it( and catch any mistakes that might cause problems)

I still think it was amazingly well done, creative and origonal.  No overview or summation of the actual game will do it justice...
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
  Thanks Bard, it's nice to know that at least one person enjoyed this.
  C'mon guys, this is generating even less interest than that troll I put up on April Fool's. :<  It's a short game and only five MB, it's not like there's a lot of commitment time involved.
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
well this game is really good nonetheless
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
I kinda hope there is another one, or you are making another, cause I like your style.  8)
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
The puzzles were really frustrating, and I was -cuss- mad when that gorgon (?) kept turning me to stone... ANNOYING.
But puzzle games are fun... don't know why I'm getting so frustrated

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
it is a Lich...

Lol got you angry too?

It took me ... six times to go through the game, to get past it and to beta test it at the same time...
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
The puzzles were really frustrating, and I was -cuss- mad when that gorgon (?) kept turning me to stone... ANNOYING.
But puzzle games are fun... don't know why I'm getting so frustrated
  The puzzles are frustrating but also fun?

. . . Okay then.  So other than that, and the fact that you thought the (erm) creature was a "gorgon", how's the game so far?

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »
still trying to get past the lich (sorry thought it was a gorgon :P)

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »
  The concept behind that is to understand the movement patterns and plan your exploration of the floor accordingly.  Another part of it is finding what areas are out of the creature's range and mindlessly abuse them. :p

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
The Lich keeps getting stuck in the doorframe near the beartrap cell. And the game kind of "freezes" when I try to open the chest just a little north from there - by that I mean, the chest opens, but I get no item and get stuck, not being able to move at all. However, somehow I can manage to pull up the menu while I'm stuck there. o_o;

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »
The Lich keeps getting stuck in the doorframe near the beartrap cell.
  That's strange, FB and I never caught that glitch.  It is a major bug, as using the bear trap is required for the alternate ending, but you seem to have been the only one to experience it.  If this error occurs more than once, you could try sending me your save file and I could tinker with it from there.
And the game kind of "freezes" when I try to open the chest just a little north from there - by that I mean, the chest opens, but I get no item and get stuck, not being able to move at all. However, somehow I can manage to pull up the menu while I'm stuck there. o_o;
  Are you talking about the chest behind the blue door, or the one in the sideroom from the hall filled with guards?

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
The chest in the sideroom.

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:05:29 AM »
The Lich keeps getting stuck in the doorframe near the beartrap cell.
  That's strange, FB and I never caught that glitch.  It is a major bug, as using the bear trap is required for the alternate ending, but you seem to have been the only one to experience it.  If this error occurs more than once, you could try sending me your save file and I could tinker with it from there.
And the game kind of "freezes" when I try to open the chest just a little north from there - by that I mean, the chest opens, but I get no item and get stuck, not being able to move at all. However, somehow I can manage to pull up the menu while I'm stuck there. o_o;
  Are you talking about the chest behind the blue door, or the one in the sideroom from the hall filled with guards?

I did catch that and I told you this...

I said whenever I take the left wing from the chest the Lich gets caught by the door with the trap...  I was reviewing the game and I might have found the issue...

Yea I caught it...  for the right wing both the second and third page of events don't have through check marked on them so other events cant get past it.
Why id didn't fix it might be because I saw it the day I was screwing with the chests and the Lich death thing...  and the Lich death was slightly annoying to figure out...
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
I'm playing the game, and it's fun, but it's really hard, too.

Is the bear trap supposed to stop the lich/snake-chick thing?