Author Topic: Moderator Chat - because I don't know where else to put it  (Read 1962 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Moderator Chat - because I don't know where else to put it
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
There are a couple things I'm wondering about.

First off redirecting moved topics. I'm not sure how necessary redirecting is. If someone was interested in a topic that's been moved, I don't think it's that difficult to find it. I'm pretty sure it comes up as a new post (and if it doesn't, we could always add a post to the bottom noting that it was redirected, so that it would for sure come up as a new post) The two reasons for moving a topic is 1. To not clutter up the original board, and 2. To make it easier to find certain subjects. Leaving the redirect topic still clutters the original board. Plus, our redirect topics stay there for months (we have some in the Ask-A-Character board that have been there for months.) My vote is that we try not to leave redirect topics unless there's a good reason, but I'd like to know what the rest of the mods have to say.

Second, the screenshot thread in the Game Design board is really annoying to load with all the pictures. At the same time, though, since the pictures are the main point of that topic, I'm wondering if we really want them in spoilers or not. Either way, it's definitely an inconvenience.

This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Moderator Chat - because I don't know where else to put it
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
Yeah, that's true. The main purpose of it is just so that people don't freak out when they can't find the topic at where they're looking at. I suppose the best thing to do is to leave the redirecting message there for like a day, then delete it after; but that's a lot of hassle.

As for the screenshot thread, hm, I suppose so. Personally I'm used to the screenshot threads loading simultaneously, but I can see that being a bother. If you guys want, we can just make it a rule for images to be posted in spoilers in there.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
Okay, I'm going through and deleting most of the redirect topics, but the ones in Ask-a-character board don't wannt leave. :'(
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
Oops! Seems like that board's moderation status' messed up, I'll take care of it. D:

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
I agree with you.
I didn’t move any topics by now, but the idea with the 1-3 days redirecting topic is good.

And yes, it would be probably better to make a spoiler-rule for screenshots in the Screenshot Thread. Or – in case someone forgets – a mod could put in spoiler tags, is not much work.  :reivsmile:

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »
Okay. So we'll take down redirect topics after a few days. I'd like to see a bit more discussion on the screenshot thread, though.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
I'll spoiler up the screenshot thread!

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
Nevermind, no more Screenshot thread discussion.  :kardiansmile:

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
I added spoilers. I think that spoilers should DEFINITELY be a rule when posting pictures, it is on every other RM site.(and it's just common courtesy)

One thing I wonder, is how far off topic are we allowed to let a topic go before splitting/locking the topic? I know we're a more freindly, non-strict site, but we don't want all the forums full of offtopic stuff (just look in any thread in In Game Discussion, Technical Discussion, or ANYWHERE ELSE on the forum, to see what I mean) As a mod, I really want some direction in this area. How far off topic is too far? Should topics be locked, or should the off topic material be moved? Should SPAM posts be deleted?

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:26 PM »
I think too much spam should be moved to Chatter Spot (or in the worst case deleted). There is not need to close a topic if it is not a spam topic from the beginning. So in my opinion moving posts is the better alternative.
Spam posts should be deleted if a mod told to stop spamming. Or if spam continues after posts were moved.