Author Topic: Interesting Characters - from anything  (Read 2013 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Interesting Characters - from anything
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »
What are some particularly unique characters you've encountered in books, movies, games, etc.

Personally, I think my favorite REALLY unique characters would have to be Eilonwy from the Chronicles of Prydain series, Ella from Ella Enchanted (the book), and Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (also the book). I can't think of any movie or game characters that have quite done it for me, but those literary characters are absolutely unforgettable.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Interesting Characters - from anything
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:20 PM »
Where to Start....

Drizzt Do'Urden, the drow elf from the Forgotten Elf books
Allanon the druid from the Shannara books
Roland the Gunslinger from the Dark Tower Series
There's Kite from .hack//
John Ross and Nest Freemark from the Word and the Void series...

007 from both the films and the books...

I think I'll stop there for now.
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »
I don't know any of those, unfortunately. Well, except 007, sorta.

I changed my mind on the format. Let's add a brief summary of the characters, too, why we find them so interesting.

What are some particularly unique characters you've encountered in books, movies, games, etc.

Personally, I think my favorite REALLY unique characters would have to be Eilonwy from the Chronicles of Prydain series, Ella from Ella Enchanted (the book), and Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (also the book). I can't think of any movie or game characters that have quite done it for me, but those literary characters are absolutely unforgettable.

Eilonwy - She babbles a lot, but she's really sassy and take charge. It's the combination of how she SEEMS ditzy, but is actually really clever, I think, that makes her so unique.

Ella - How often do you have a linguist as a main character? She has a really unique situation, and it's interesting the way her situation has affected her personality so realistically. She has unique interests, she can be very witty in her conversation, and she has a very multidimensional personality.

Captain Nemo - He's very mysterious, it takes the whole book to see what he's really about, and what his motives are. He's obviously a bit eccentric, living in a submarine, but he has perfect manners, is extraordinarily intelligent and educated and good-looking, so it's very interesting once his flaws are eventually discovered.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
Drizzt Do'Urden - a drow (dark elf) that abandond his home and realm deep under the surface to find a brighter life on the surface.  Despite being outcast by his race Drizzt continues to look past what others think and oly help those in need.  His character is genuine all the way through and a good friend and ally to those that get to know him.

Allanon the druid - a druid, many centuries old, who watches over the land of Shannara and helps restore the land to peace and balance with the help of those destined to do it.  Allanon is, by profession, an outcast to the world, in order to keep a strait head and arise to the task asked of him when danger is near.  He is never the one responsible for saving Shannara but he guides those chosen to do it, tealling them the truth but not the whole truth, in order for the task to be completed and not risk failure.

Roland the Gunslinger - an experienced shooter who ventures to find the Dark Tower, the holy grail and dream of his land.  Roland devotes his entire life and sacrifices anything to get to the tower, while he eventually learns that friends and allies are always needed to survive, Roland won't push aside his quest for the tower no matter what.

Kite - a player caught in the world and desperatly trying to find the answer and cure to help his friend who was suddenly put into a deep comma.  Kite battles a growing virus that threatens to tear the fabric of the World apart and does so with his closes friends.  Kite is determined to keep going until his friend Orca and all the others who were put into commas are healed.

John Ross -  A Knight of the Word in a grim semi-future land where demons run wild and the earth is slowly dieing...  Bt these demons aren;t mythical beasts that are all magic, they were born and created by the corruption that man has spread for countless centuries.  Like Allanon, John Ross is an outcast and can never truly have a "free life" until his service to the Word is complete.

Nest Freemark  - A girl gifted with magic, one of the last few known to the world with the ability, Nest's life is entertwined with John Ross's through her life and usually ends up helping him or vis vera.  Nest is determined and won't back down, he heart and being through her life represent innossence and purity while all other things begin to fall away.

007 - this spy has survived countless villans in the movies and even suffered the loss of a wife to his worst nemisis, Blofeld.  He has been in communist rusha and The streets of Harlem when some of the most viscious drug lords ruled.  Almost nothing can stop this spy...  In the boks he is more rugged than the gaget weilding movie counter part.  Using his wits to save himself more than using fancy gagets to escape.  Ian Fleming's James Bond is human, if hard and quick witted and lives on an edge so fine that every action draws him impossibly closer to the breaking point.
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:51 AM »
1) Tom Bombadil from The Lord of the Rings
Shame on you if you didn’t read the book(s) ^^. Tom Bombadil is – in my opinion – the most fascinating characters in LotR.

2) Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series. He was the most interesting character until the end of the 7th book and maybe still is.

Will expand the list later. :)

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
No, no the seventh book WAS what made Dumbledore interesting. Up until that point he was essentially the Gandalf/Obi-wan Kenobi of Harry Potter, the old guide who aids the hero. It was when we learned the truth in the seventh book that I found him REALLY interesting. And because he filled his role-type so perfectly up until the seventh book, it was so amazing that J.K. Rowling was brave enough to humanize him as she did. But I definitely agree, he is a top notch character, probably the best character in that series (besides Neville Longbottom).

And personally, I found Bombadil annoying. :( Sorry. (For some reason, the whole time he was singing, I imagined him singing the most annoying melody, over, and over...)

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
You are right, Dumbledore gets really interesting in the seventh book. But I didn’t mean that he is not interesting in the end of the story. I rather wanted to say that he was so interesting, because there were so many questions not answered until the last book. He became really interesting – and also something special – in the sixth book when he drinks that potion in the cave. This was the first time he talked about his life.
Neville is a great character. Besides Hermione he is the character with the most interesting change in the story.

Tom Bombadil is annoying, but does that mean he cannot be interesting? I didn’t really like the songs, but I liked the mysteries behind Bombadil, how he acted and I never read of any character you can compare to him.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:32:25 PM »
[ Moved to General board - The different is pretty vague but I think Chatter Spot is more for topics that don't contain much substance. ]