Author Topic: Hi! I'd like to share my songs with you  (Read 629 times)

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: MCArd#3762
Hi! I'd like to share my songs with you
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first post! I'm looking forward to spending time around here.

I have a few original songs and haven't actually shared them with anyone besides my family. So after I joined your official Discord server and saw how the Freebird community is full of lovely people, I decided to share them with you also :vikonsmile:

If you want to give me feedback, I'll have you know that I'm prepared! I can take everything you throw at me from "Wow, I like it! :-*" to "Wow, I don't like it! :stare:". Except "Maybe I like it, maybe I don't. Why should I tell you?" <- that one just keeps me awake at night.

I also welcome any criticisms you may have, as I'm trying to improve on my songwriting (and my piano playing in general).

https://streamable.com/lznkh <- I already shared this on the Discord server and someone pointed me to this forum, so that's how I got here, but... WAIT A SEC! :o IS THIS A FORUM EXCLUSIVE SHOWCASINGNESS OF CREATIVE CONTENT!?  :whaaa?: ... yes...  ::)  yes it is: https://streamable.com/rz225

Hope you like them :vikonsmile:
My cat ate my signature

Grey Fenrir

• Tier 2
  • Discord ID: Grey Fenrir#0599
Re: Hi! I'd like to share my songs with you
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:19 AM »
 :plat:

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:45:26 AM »
My cat ate my signature

Grey Fenrir

• Tier 2
  • Discord ID: Grey Fenrir#0599
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:48:06 AM »
<3 such beautiful music :)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:42:01 AM »
Really love your music. Keep up the good work :gothat!:

Would you ever consider covers of Freebird Games' soundtracks? (To the Moon, Finding Paradise, Quintessence).

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
I'm glad you like it.

And yes, I would. I might post some in the future.
My cat ate my signature

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
Whoa, those are some pretty good songs! I am also a fellow piano player. It definitely is hard coming up with original songs.

My feedback: Those songs are definitely decent, but they lack impact (if that makes any sense). In the world there are lots of decent songs, but only a few manage to sound so good you want to listen to them over and over. This is the magic touch your songs lack. However please understand that doesn't mean they are bad by any means.

I would say I liked piece 19 more because it had that variation during the middle where it went from smooth to 'clunky' (not the most technical term but you probably get what I mean)

My own style tends to be replicating songs I hear by ear and then adjusting them when comfortable. I then combine different parts of the many songs I have memorised to create a sort of amalgamation (so really all my 'original' songs are just recombined existing songs). Because of this I can pick up on a few patterns that are very hard to break (even for me when I know about them)

If you want to make an extra spicy song, try exploring the lower notes some more, and see if you can let your left hand do  main part somewhere. Also changing tones during the song makes it more memorable (a lot of anime songs do this as I am an anime addict)

Here's an example of what I mean with the tone changes (the song alternates between two keys):
War of the Human Tanks Intro

In this one, notice how even when the right hand is doing the main, the left hand still has a fairly varied pattern all the time (it doesn't stay doing the same four notes in the same way for much longer than a couple of seconds at any point (apart from the end for fading effect)):
War of the Human Tanks Ending Song

You will notice this is a lot in the more memorable songs if you listen out for it. It makes songs feel more 'complete'.

Maybe I'll start posting a few of the songs I play on here! I did a few MIDI songs a while ago but they take ageeeeees to make and I don't have so much spare time anymore. Piano songs are much faster than manually mapping a MIDI :P
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 01:13:58 AM »
Wow! I'm glad you liked them. And thanks for the thorough feedback!

I get what you mean by impact. I'm searching for that everytime I work on a new song, but never manage to find it intentionally. I'm trying to keep at it until I can summon that power at will :Evapple:

If you want to make an extra spicy song, try exploring the lower notes some more, and see if you can let your left hand do  main part somewhere.
Now that you mention it, I do tend to make the main part with the right hand in almost all my works. I think switching it up would be a good idea. Thanks! :vikonsmile: I'll try changing tones too (I've actually been trying to do that with a new piece)

Maybe I'll start posting a few of the songs I play on here! I did a few MIDI songs a while ago but they take ageeeeees to make and I don't have so much spare time anymore. Piano songs are much faster than manually mapping a MIDI :P
Yes, please post your work too! And yeah, I agree composing on a piano is much faster. But the closest I got to that impact (in my opinion) was with a piano song I made in FL Studio (before I bought a piano). I figured I would end up showing it anyway on this lovely forum, so here you go: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0nHHujPHcWk I hope you like it :vikonsmile:
My cat ate my signature

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
But the closest I got to that impact (in my opinion) was with a piano song I made in FL Studio (before I bought a piano). I figured I would end up showing it anyway on this lovely forum, so here you go: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0nHHujPHcWk I hope you like it :vikonsmile:
Just listened to it and yeah- that is on the cusp of having a big impact. I'd say what made it so good was that string backing around 50 seconds and then building up through to around 1:10. From there really what you needed is some sort of energetic part instead of returning to the prior pattern, which may or may not include parts of the pattern used in the first part of the song. Or at least thats the feeling I get
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »
I'd say what made it so good was that string backing around 50 seconds and then building up through to around 1:10.
Yeah, I do think the strings make it sound much better. This was the first time I've added strings to a song and I love how it turned out.

And I do get what you mean about making a more energetic part. But I guess I intended for this one to not sound energetic and I was going for a second verse mirrored to the first one.

I often start with a calmer and softer sound and stick to it. Like this other one I made playing with the strings a bit more: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1peYcjJP4Ii, which is more of a minimalist, calm and short idea than a song.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:28:05 PM by MCArd »
My cat ate my signature

MCArd

• Tier 2
  • Cat belly inspector
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Here is one of my older ones, but I only got around to recording it today: https://streamable.com/07lxm
My cat ate my signature

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
 :gothat!: