Author Topic: Dealing with Gaming Backlogs  (Read 2735 times)

fenzil

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Dealing with Gaming Backlogs
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:02:51 AM »
These days with Steam sales and bundles we all end up with hundreds or thousands of games we'll never finish. I already have more than a lifetime's worth of games, yet I just recently bought the entire Might & Magic series, adding a few more hundred hours to the pile. As this goes on I feel like I'm throwing away money, even when buying high-quality games, because I know I will never play all the games I buy.

At the same time, it's difficult to deal with the feeling of obligation, being stressed about completing games. It's too easy to turn it into a chore, where you worry about getting through as many as possible regardless of enjoyment level. There has to be a reasonable expectation that some games are not worth your time and can be dropped without guilt. I've had trouble finding this balance, and I often wonder whether I'm truly enjoying a game or if I'm just playing it because I feel obligated to.

What methods do you use to make sure you get through your gaming backlog, and to maintain your sanity while doing so? My goal for 2018 is to not buy a single game, and focus on playing through the ones I own. That includes old games I bought years ago and always forwent in favor of shiny new ones. I feel like I enjoyed games a lot more when I was a kid who could only get one or two a year.

LunarPenguin

• Tier 2
  • I am a human being.
Re: Dealing with Gaming Backlogs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:28 AM »
I have the same issue, and I think I'm going to take the same approach you're taking this year.  Steam sales and Humble Bundles make it too easy to acquire games.

I currently have 212 games in my Steam library, and I've played less than half of them. 

So, unless by some miracle Half-Life 3 releases, or in the event Reives releases a follow-up to Finding Paradise this year, I also will not be buying a single game.  Instead, I'll be focusing on playing the ones I have (I still need to finish New Vegas... and play Don't Starve...) and on making games as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:27:43 AM by DarckPenguin »
"FREE PONY RIDES, IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!"

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:34:14 AM »
Saaaame! Although luckily I don't look at many games. All I plan to buy this year is Don't Starve DLC, Hamlet (and Ori and the Will of the Wisps if it releases this year) but other than that, I'm gonna focus on older games I have yet to play. Life is Strange for instance I got back in 2015 as a Christmas gift and have yet to play it for myself (although back then, I had just finished watching Pewdiepie play it and I wanted to give it so time to fade in my mind even though I already know how it ends :facepalm: )

There's ones from before then as well, I just hope to play them this year eventually.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:28:11 AM »
I have over 700 games. So I feel the pain. I find a good way to get through your backlog is to start with shorter games, to make yourself feel motivated to finish the longer ones. I also have a limit on how many games I allow myself to have installed at one time, so I don't get too tempted to start a new game without finishing old ones, and adds that sense of achievement when you do. I also have one of my game library categories as 'finished', so I can keep track of all the games I have finished.

I have quite a few games to get through, but the best way to do it, is to not feel so guilty about not playing games. And remember, you're going to have this Steam account for your whole life, you don't need to complete everything straight away, I am sure you still want to save something for retirement.  ;)

And if you want to get a grasp for how long a game goes for, without being spoiled, I use this site called 'How Long To Beat', which seems to have good estimates.
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »
Oh I forgot about Hot Lava! Still, that's only two confirmed game of this year anyway.

Before I play all my games however, I want to get better RAM (cos I recently realized that 4GB ain't gonna cut it for some of these games ^^; )

fenzil

• Tier 4
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
I also have a limit on how many games I allow myself to have installed at one time, so I don't get too tempted to start a new game without finishing old ones, and adds that sense of achievement when you do.

:'( gotta make full use of my large amount of hard drive space somehow (and this is after a major purge)

This is how I keep myself focused on certain games (keeping all but the favorites hidden):

I often have difficulty in short games, because it takes me a long time to get into a game. Usually it takes three hours or longer before I really feel comfortable in a game. Before that I'm still getting used to the mechanics and style. So when a game is just a few hours it takes a lot more effort for me to play, and it's especially hard to play one after another like that. I don't know why I'm like that, since most people seem to prefer short games, but for me the first few hours always kinda suck.

Before I play all my games however, I want to get better RAM (cos I recently realized that 4GB ain't gonna cut it for some of these games ^^; )

Check out https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/ which has sale tracking and is also very useful if you decide to build a new PC from parts. (Wow computer stuff is expensive down there  O_O)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 03:02:21 AM »

Check out https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/ which has sale tracking and is also very useful if you decide to build a new PC from parts. (Wow computer stuff is expensive down there  O_O)
Actually a friend of mine said I can get a chip that adds to my current RAM, given it's compatible with the motherboard and such. Not looking at upgrading/rebuilding the whole thing ^^; just better, playable game performance (I mean have you seen my Bendy game recently? Ain't running from no ink demon with that lag >_< )

I need to save up some money first however. It cost to get the good stuff in life :P

LunarPenguin

• Tier 2
  • I am a human being.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »

Check out https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/ which has sale tracking and is also very useful if you decide to build a new PC from parts. (Wow computer stuff is expensive down there  O_O )
Actually a friend of mine said I can get a chip that adds to my current RAM, given it's compatible with the motherboard and such. Not looking at upgrading/rebuilding the whole thing ^^; just better, playable game performance (I mean have you seen my Bendy game recently? Ain't running from no ink demon with that lag >_< )

I need to save up some money first however. It cost to get the good stuff in life :P

You could also use that site to help with your upgrade, since it keeps track of sales and part compatibility.  If you track down and put your existing parts into that site, it should tell you what RAM is compatible, and when it goes on sale.

My new strategy for handling my gaming backlog is similar to fenzil's.  I've created a category called "Next To Play", and minimized the rest of the categories in my library, so I can focus on those games.  I'm also limiting it to 5 games at a time.  This should keep me busy for a while...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:04:22 AM by DarckPenguin »
"FREE PONY RIDES, IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!"

Adahn

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »
I don't deal with my gaming backlog :/

The other side of that coin is that I actually just focus on getting games I want rather than games that are part of a bundle, (i.e. if I only want Rome: Total War, I'm not gonna go and get the other 10 Total War games just because that bundle's also going on offer), and that I now try to focus on getting indie games that appear faster to clear and more 'self-contained' than say, something like Witcher 3.

That's kinda how I got into To The Moon and then down the rabbit hole in the first place, actually. It doesn't help too much with the games I already have, but it does mean that nowadays when I buy a game, I'm about 80% likely to complete it within the year.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »
I think the best course of action would be try not to play the games you've already been playing/played, even if you've enjoyed them greatly. And when choosing the new games to play, definitely go with what suits your mood/gut feeling the best at that moment. Go with the things that you crave for the most.

I'm a very impulsive gamer. One day, I didn't even think about playing a particular game, boom next two days I'm halfway through. For example, I've been experimenting with minecraft mods until recently, and I came across a dragonball modpack, and I tried it out. But I found it lacking for a variety of reasons, so I dropped it but my dragonball cravings were still there, and dragonball xenoverse 1 and 2 were sitting in my steam library :D Finished 1 in a couple of days and transferred my savefile to 2 lol.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
Well I plan to play all my games in alphabetical order (first being Amnesia, despite some saying it sucked) and going from there. Although if I feel like a different genre, I'll try some of those games. It really depends.

Like I said, I just wanna get better RAM and such first (that and my Stardew Valley craze is still going ^^; )