Author Topic: Have you ever considered releasing your games with multiple laguages?  (Read 1216 times)

EPM

• Tier 2
I just had a conversation in Steam with somebody who was pissed off because Finding Paradise won't be available in his respective language.

I tried to explain to him that you always released your games in English and then some fans made some translations months after.

But he has actually some point. Wouldn't it actually be viable to give the game dialogues to some professional translators and make it available in more languages officially? I don't know if that's a possibility you explored before, but it would be great.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Have you ever considered releasing your games with multiple laguages?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
With To the Moon, it was less of a conscious choice, but rather things just kind of happened.

With Finding Paradise, up until now I've honestly just been so preoccupied with actually making the original game itself that I haven't even been able to think much about those elements. Even now I just woke up from 4 hours of sleep and doing polish on the build, and it's a week before release. So even if I were to give the game to translation companies, it still won't likely be released in different languages together just the same; because I'm working on the English version all the way up until release. I'm also aware that apparently it's better commercially for the game to delay release in order to launch in multiple languages simultaneously, but at this point the game's already been delayed quite a few times, and I think I really owe it to release at least the original version without going all the way into 2018.

All that being said, from another angle, I honestly trust the community to translate a game like FP more than a hired company, as those who would do it on a hired basis wouldn't necessarily be into the actual game enough to catch the nuances, and tend to translate on a more literal basis. I was thinking that after the dust settles down, I'd try to work out some kind of a compensation system for the community translators instead, hopefully without getting into the same pitfall.

Oh, speaking of this... There is one community localization team that might actually finish their translation by release date (they pushed for co-development translation on a short schedule, which I don't think even professional translation companies tend to do, as it must be crazily frustrating to deal with messy and constantly-changing code). I swear they've got better efficiency and drive than most professional companies out there. :o