Author Topic: Can't launch the game - C0000005 error  (Read 6177 times)

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Can't launch the game - C0000005 error
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a problem, in fact not only with To the moon but also with any Freebird Games' creation : When I want to launch the game, it starts without a problem on first try, but when I try doing it a second time (and everytime after that), I first get a "RGSS Player stopped working" error (Fixed it with DEP), and all other attempts gives me a "Critical Error C0000005 at address" followed by numbers and letters different every time. I tried looking everywhere on the Internet and on this forum, but couldn't find anything to help me.

I'm running Windows 10 Familial Edition on an Acer Inspire ES1-531.
Also, :plat:

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
Re: Can't launch the game - C0000005 error
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
That's really odd, does it happen with Steam downloads?

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
Yes. I've bought To The Moon on Steam, and neither the main game nor the minisode would launch. I also downloaded The Mirror Lied on the website, and it won't launch either. I've tried removing and re-downloading both, but it won't even launch on first try this time.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
I searched a lot and couldn't find a common solution :(

Some people suggested running the game in compatibility mode, or running it as administrator, but I don't think either of them should be necessary.

Please also try this with To the Moon:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=6174.msg192852#msg192852

If To the Moon starts working, you can try applying the same fix to other games too.

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Just tried it. It gives me a "Rgss player stopped working", then I do the DPE trick, and I get the C0000005 error again.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
I know it isn't really a fix, but can you try installing another copy of Windows (XP or newer) on a Virtual Machine (like the free Virtualbox)?
That wouldn't be convenient, but it should hopefully let you play the games.

Edit: And if you don't have an extra Windows license, you can install Linux on VirtualBox and play the game from there, although I'm not sure if the Virtualbox drivers for Linux include the required OpenGL support for the game to work.

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
I found a workaround : I created a second local account on my PC, and managed to launch the game several times in a row, not a single error :D It was thanks to the post you gave me a link too :D

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
That's strange.

So, you were able to run any Freebird game (or most likely any RPG Maker XP game) once. Upon the first launch games create a save/config folder in "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\". Then, you couldn't run the game again, which probably means the game couldn't access that folder for some reason. Changing the user seems to have solved that problem.

Something may be wrong with user privileges on the account you were using before.

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
Well, my main account run as Admin, while the second one that I just created is a standard account. And I thought the same thing, so I was about to try giving the second account Admin privileges.

EDIT : Just tried, it still launches without any problem.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:07:50 PM by KeterLordFR »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
That's great to hear! :)

That's strange.

So, you were able to run any Freebird game (or most likely any RPG Maker XP game) once. Upon the first launch games create a save/config folder in "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\". Then, you couldn't run the game again, which probably means the game couldn't access that folder for some reason. Changing the user seems to have solved that problem.

Something may be wrong with user privileges on the account you were using before.
That's why I found it odd too, because usually those with user account problems can't run the game even for the first time, and also there are Freebird games that don't store their save data in the user folder and save it beside the game files, so I thought this shouldn't be a typical user account issue.

phoebe2

• Tier 1
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 03:05:00 AM »
That's great to hear! :)

That's strange.

So, you were able to run any Freebird game (or most likely any RPG Maker XP game) once. Upon the first launch games create a save/config folder in "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\". Then, you couldn't run the game again, which probably means the game couldn't access that folder for some reason. Changing mybkexperience the user seems to have solved that problem.

That's why I found it odd too, because usually those with user account problems can't run the game even for the first time, and also there are Freebird games that don't store their save data in the user folder and save it beside the game files, so I thought this shouldn't be a typical user account issue.

I also downloaded The Mirror Lied on the website, and it won't launch either. I've tried removing and re-downloading both, but it won't even launch on first try this time.  :pegasled: