Author Topic: Marlin's Untitled RMXP Horror Project  (Read 2431 times)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Marlin's Untitled RMXP Horror Project
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
Hey guys! So, for the past couple of months I've been sporadically working on a horror game in RMXP, something I've been wanting to do for a really long time (like 3 years). I figured I might as well tell you guys a little bit about it.

The game takes place in a house (I know, creative, right?) that the player is trapped inside. The main enemy is the main character's shadow, which separates itself from the player and chases him around and what not. I intend to implement some forms of puzzles, but I am yet to come up with any good ideas (much less things I can code).

Assuming this gets completed (and I don't invest all my time into another game before then), this will be my first game (i.e. don't judge me :P ). I have started several other games and abandoned them shortly afterwards, but I feel like this particular game has the potential to be completed, considering the progress I have made so far, even though I am far from finishing this game (hell, it doesn't even have a title!) If all goes well, I hope to have this game completed (in some form or another) by this fall (October-ish).

Without any further ado, here are some screenshots!

Here's the (as of yet unnamed) player character confronting his shadow in the living room (this won't be an actual scene, just wanted to test the sprites):
Spoiler: show

This one's of the player character in one of the bedrooms (I believe this was the first map I made for this game):

Here's the piano room:

More information to come later as the game progresses!  :vikonsmile:

GingerCorslette

• Tier 5
  • No comment.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: Marlin's Untitled RMXP Horror Project
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:56:16 AM »
Player and his shadow sounds cool :)
Good luck with this, I know it could be painstakingly hard to make a genuine horror experience out of this platform...

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
Cool idea!

I think the way to really set in the theme and to make the horror shine is to give everything some sort of deep shadows. The puzzles, then, could be to collect lights and place them in the rooms in such a way that your shadow can't hide. When you're sure he's not there, you dig in drawers and stuff to find more batteries or more portable lights so you can search bigger rooms.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Cool idea!

I think the way to really set in the theme and to make the horror shine is to give everything some sort of deep shadows. The puzzles, then, could be to collect lights and place them in the rooms in such a way that your shadow can't hide. When you're sure he's not there, you dig in drawers and stuff to find more batteries or more portable lights so you can search bigger rooms.

That sounds like a good idea. I've thought of using light as the shadow's weakness (and, conversely, darkness as its strength), and that seems like one possible way to implement it.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Looking forward to it! :)