Author Topic: Stardew Valley [by ConcernedApe]  (Read 14002 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
Re: Stardew Valley [by ConcernedApe]
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
Have you guys seen the hype on Steam and Kotaku? I'm overwhelmed and very happy for the developer. I never expected it to be this much, but it's so good! Game is selling great.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 03:11:06 AM »
Get stardew valley. It's the best 2D Harvest Moon to date :D

No. Ugly portraits. Can you at least swap your own pictures with the original ones?

Kotaku

Spoiler: show

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
It has some minor flaws for sure, but I think it improves everything in the basis of "an indie Harvest Moon." Really made by someone who loves the series, I can tell.

I agree with Kyo that the portraits suck, but it's a minor concern for the game's improvements over the genre as a whole. I have an in-depth list of issues it has in design (mostly because it concerns how my next project will play out), but even though I want to discuss them as if the game were bad, I think it's fair to say that 98% of what Ape has done is wonderful. :)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Kyo
No. Ugly portraits. Can you at least swap your own pictures with the original ones?

Oh I agree. The portraits are not good. But the rest of the graphics are charming enough to make up for it (even if the animations are lacking). I hope there's mod support so I can replace all the character portraits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
I definitely wouldn't discard a whole game (worth years of someone's hard work) just because of portraits... Just saying. In the end, it's your decision. But a game is much more than poorly drawn portraits.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »

I found a mod to fix this

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-portraits-like-anime-style.107707/

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »

I found a mod to fix this

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-portraits-like-anime-style.107707/

Now we're talking. I'll move the game a few places up on my backlog.

I agree with Kyo that the portraits suck, but it's a minor concern for the game's improvements over the genre as a whole.

I definitely wouldn't discard a whole game (worth years of someone's hard work) just because of portraits... Just saying. In the end, it's your decision. But a game is much more than poorly drawn portraits.

For me, things like that break the immersion. Especially because character portraits are important. And to realize just how important they are, try playing two oldschool JRPGs, one with and one without portraits. Faceless characters are only piles of pixels*, unless you do much good writing.

* A miserable little pile of pixels. But enough talk.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:06:17 AM by Kyo »

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »
I think To The Moon worked rather well without character portraits, even though Quintessence had them.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
That's right, because TtM is story based and full of dialogues. Unlike gameplay oriented games like Harvest Moon clones or most JRPGs.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
That's right, because TtM is story based and full of dialogues. Unlike gameplay oriented games like Harvest Moon clones or most JRPGs.

I thought what made JRPGs more distinct was the focus on narrative? Not to derail.

Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned that because I'm more curious about HM being gameplay-oriented. Does anyone want to weigh in on how HM, despite having a large foot in socializing with an entire community of unique characters, becomes necessarily gameplay-oriented, and if Stardew Valley took any steps in shifting that direction?

I'm extremely curious what sort of logic Ape was using when he changed the formula of 1 Gift per Day to 2 Gifts per Week. It's not a casual decision for someone trying so hard to recreate the feeling of the franchise.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »

I'm extremely curious what sort of logic Ape was using when he changed the formula of 1 Gift per Day to 2 Gifts per Week. It's not a casual decision for someone trying so hard to recreate the feeling of the franchise.

I think he did it so that the gameplay doesn't feel as grindy. Even having messed up and given people stuff they hate a few times, I have two girls up to two hearts (along with some other of the NPCs). And I am on summer day 1. I feel like he just raised the amount gifts give, then capped the frequency you can give them.

So thankfully, that means I don't need a bottomless pit of whatever gift my lady friend likes if I want to marry her before my character is an old man ;)

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 05:16:36 AM »
This game is slowly killing me T^T but I lobve it so much
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
This game is slowly killing me T^T but I lobve it so much
Some fancy advice :
Get some sleep, wake up and build a real life farm :p
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:23:16 AM by Roxaszu »

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »

I think he did it so that the gameplay doesn't feel as grindy. Even having messed up and given people stuff they hate a few times, I have two girls up to two hearts (along with some other of the NPCs). And I am on summer day 1. I feel like he just raised the amount gifts give, then capped the frequency you can give them.

So thankfully, that means I don't need a bottomless pit of whatever gift my lady friend likes if I want to marry her before my character is an old man ;)

I think the logic may also come from real-world behavior. Personally, as a girl, I'd start to feel annoyed and pressured, if the same guy came at me every day with a new gift, as if I could be bought. If something I don't like about these games, is how materialistic they make us all seem. ;) Yes, we like gifts, but not like this, either. At least, not I. Don't know about you guys (males and otherwise).

Make the player wait in despair! Make the player fight harder for it. XD Mwahahahahahah! >.> Ahem.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:30:53 PM by Arwym (آرویم) »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
I think the logic may also come from real-world behavior. Personally, as a girl, I'd start to feel annoyed and pressured, if the same guy came at me every day with a new gift, as if I could be bought. If something I don't like about these games, is how materialistic they make us all seem. ;) Yes, we like gifts, but not like this, either. At least, not I. Don't know about you guys (males and otherwise).

I tried the harvest moon method of wooing a girl once. I asked her what her favorite candy was, then I bought a BUUUT TON of that candy. And I gave her one every day for like two months.

Nothing ever came of it lol.

Harvest moon lied to me.