Author Topic: Are MOBAs any good?  (Read 8963 times)

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Are MOBAs any good?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
Silly thread-split for
Debates/Serious Discussions
imo :P

Well, a certain person was very clear about actual MOBA discussion with arguments being too serious a topic for the chatterbox. And emotions were flaring up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:09:12 AM by Sun »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
There is no such thing as "objectively" better.
Well, that's just like your subjective opinion, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

And yeah, that's what every debate does eventually come down to :P And arguing about how things are ALWAYS subjective does make one sound ALMOST as silly as Obi Wan when he says "Only a Sith deals in absolutes" XD

Silly thread-split for
Debates/Serious Discussions
imo :P

Yeah. And I assume this isn't going to go much further as I think all sides have made their views clear, but as Sun said, it was a bit too debatey to be split to the chatterbox. And the debate was hijacking another thread, so I figured a frivolous split was better than TOO much off topic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:46:44 PM by legacyblade »

A Fat Kid

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »
I've had plenty of productive debates/discussions in my life, and with both parties sharing opposing views at that. Preventing a discussion from getting heated/degrading into nitpicks relies on the parties both being mature and knowledgeable. Debates aren't about winning. They're about understanding another perspective. If there was a clear winner, it wouldn't even be a discussion topic in the first place.

I think it's rather sad, what it says about Freebirdians, when most debates here either peter out or end up in some proto flame war.

I'll just drop my on-topic stuff here.

I've never played a MOBA, and I never will because I think they run on terrible game design (yes, that is subjective). It boils down to 2 main characteristics of MOBAs: small team size and random multiplayer.

The smaller the team, the greater the impact a good player will have, and conversely, the more a poor player will become a burden to their team. Add random teams and non-existent coordination to that, and you will almost be guaranteed a frustrating, hair-tearing experience. And I absolutely refuse to play any game if there is even the slightest chance that I'd stop playing feeling even worse than when I started.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
I started heroes of the storm recently, but I got bored out of it as well. Anything that requires you to grind too much to get a hero/character that you very much wanted is a no-no for me. I've done enough of that in LoL. Plus you still get angry in HotS as well.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

GingerCorslette

• Tier 5
  • No comment.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
I don't usually dig games that require you to team up with random people online, especially when they are meant to be competitive.  If not always, cooperation is mostly half-assed, which then leads to even more pointless arguing.