Author Topic: Are MOBAs any good?  (Read 8062 times)

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Are MOBAs any good?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:33 AM »
But why exactly would serious arguments be forbidden in that reaction?
Because I objectively say so which means it's a fact.
Statements like these objectively need more emoticons to disambiguate between irony and earnestness. Fact. I vote for the sarcasm marker they were discussing on the web a while ago.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 04:12:20 AM »
Statements like these objectively need more emoticons to disambiguate between irony and earnestness. Fact. I vote for the sarcasm marker they were discussing on the web a while ago.
I vote against such markers. I'd need to use them in my every post which would become a nuisance. Instead, I vote for seriousness markers.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:23:20 AM »
I vote against such markers. I'd need to use them in my every post which would become a nuisance. Instead, I vote for seriousness markers.
I vote for giving you a new sigline: "Poster is rarely serious. Look out of window to ensure presence of flying pigs before taking this post literally."

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:34 AM »
I vote for giving you a new sigline: "Poster is rarely serious. Look out of window to ensure presence of flying pigs before taking this post literally."
That's a nice idea. I'll put that line in my signature right after you get yourself a profile pic.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »
I see. While I don't see what's wrong with my current profile pic (who's been heartbroken ever since previous anime dude left your profile), I'll look into changing it when pyramid posting gets outlawed in Freebirdia. I might do it earlier if my current pic doesn't stop writing awful poems.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:28:24 AM by Sun »

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »
I tried Nosgoth. It would be a lot of fun to play with friends, but otherwise, eh, its okay.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
Though I don't agree with legacyblade about being objective. You could say the same thing about two cars - 1 and 2. You can like the first one more, but objectively the latter is better.

There is no such thing as "objectively" better. Only better within a certain subjective frame of reference. For example, I think Ferraris and other such sport cars are far worse than let's say a toyota prius, because I'm making my judgement from the cost-performance set of standards. However, a high powered executive would judge from the standards of what makes him appear more affluent and successful. A professional racer would also use a different set of standards to judge cars.

There are no objective standards through which to judge things (especially something as subjective as entertainment), only subjective sets of standards through which to judge. I will admit that the vast majority of people have very similar standards through which to judge. If a game crashes frequently for no reason, very few people will not view that as a marker of a low quality game (just as most people will consider a car that has been totaled "objectively" worse than one that runs, regardless of what the totaled car would have been before).

I don't enjoy MOBA's, but you can't say an entire genre is objectively bad, because the standards by which you're judging the game are subjective to what you are looking for in a game. Especially when the point of video games are to be entertained or have some sort of compelling experience. You can't objectively judge the experience or entertainment someone else derives from a game, or objectively decide what things will detract from the quality of a game.

Honestly, saying otherwise sounds arrogant and ignorant. Your statement boils down to "You may have your own opinion on the matter, but my opinion is fact and you're deluded for believing contrary to me" :P I'm not saying I don't find MOBAs a tedious exercise in clicking rapidly while trying to get emotionally and socially dysfunctional people to band together as a team. I only fault your erroneous belief that your opinions are somehow objective fact.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
 :KOT: :LOT: :DOT: Just a reminder, this is about Freebirdians streaming on Twitch, not about how MOBA's are an inferior form of game and how some games can be objectively better or worse than others.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 02:18:27 PM »
:KOT: :LOT: :DOT: Just a reminder, this is about Freebirdians streaming on Twitch, not about how MOBA's are an inferior form of game and how some games can be objectively better or worse than others.

True dat! We should prolly stop this pointless debate.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »

True dat! We should prolly stop this pointless debate.
Yeah, I'm almost tempted to open up a separate thread for Twitch streaming times.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
Naw, I'll just split this whole debate off into it's own thread.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 02:16:14 AM »
 :whaaa?: What did you just do exactly?

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 02:31:56 AM »
There is no such thing as "objectively" better.

Well, that's just like your subjective opinion, man.

:whaaa?: What did you just do exactly?

Made a new thread about MOBAs and put all MOBA-related posts from the stream thread in it.

Debates/Serious Discussions

I'm out then.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:13 AM »

I'm out then.

I second this notion. I'm not good in serious discussions and has even been told to shut up one time.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 04:32:17 AM »
Silly thread-split for
imo :P