Author Topic: Funny story that happened in Japanese class  (Read 4858 times)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Funny story that happened in Japanese class
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:27:06 AM »
This happened last November, around a month after the first (and so far only) time I played To the Moon, and a couple days after A Bird Story was released (I think I had already played it). I was sort of obsessed with TtM at this point, but I think it was this event that really sparked my obsession with the game. I've meant to post it here ever since I joined Freebirdia, and I've put it off for long enough. I'm probably gonna rewrite a few parts for the sake of better wording tomorrow morning, but anyway, here goes:

First here's a bit of a backstory: I am a college/university (whatever word your country uses) student and I recently finished my freshman year. As many of you know, I am studying Japanese. My college is fairly small (3000 students in 4 years), and thus the average class size is quite small. My first semester Japanese class had around 20 students, many of whom are otakus to some extent. Our professor was/is a very amicable, funny guy who really enjoyed communicating with his students, and his class is always very informal (unfortunately he's teaching at a different university next year). Our classroom has a projector and screen, and the walls act as giant whiteboards so students can write things.

Now for the actual story.

The professor had just showed us a PowerPoint on the use of the particle に (ni) and how it can indicate location as well as a point in time, as well as the term 好き (suki), which is used to express desire or liking . He then projected some English sentences that we were supposed to translate into Japanese and write on the whiteboard walls, such as  "In 2010, I went to Tokyo" and "I like to go to class" and stuff like that. The final slide showed a sentence that went something like this:

"I like looking at the sky. When I was younger, I didn't like looking at the moon, but now I do. Will you go to the moon with me?"

Midway through translating the sentence, I dropped my marker and said, "Oh my god Sensei, that reminds me of this one super-depressing computer game I played!"

Five or six other people in the class interjected at the same time, "To the Moon!?"

Never having met anyone who had ever heard of the game, I was instantly filled with excitement. "Yeah!" I exclaimed super-energetically. Confused, the professor asked about it. We explained it to him, and a couple people said, "Thanks, Sensei, now we're all gonna cry for the rest of the day just because you reminded us of that game". One student didn't think too kindly of the game. "It's not all that great. It's only a few hours long, there's barely any gameplay, and the graphics are horrible", he/she said (I forgot who it was, which is probably a good thing). One of the students who had heard of it is a compsci major who has apparently developed quite a few flash games, one of which is fairly well known.

Shortly after this point, my interest in To the Moon started to become more serious, and it was so cool knowing that it wasn't just some random indie game that I happened to know about and like.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Funny story that happened in Japanese class
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:26:57 AM »
Omg O_O I wish I was there! Maybe I should try something like that at my university.

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:56:01 AM »
Do you actually call him Sensei...?
Because I find it very hard to take something seriously when "sensei" is used.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 02:00:42 AM »
That sounds brilliant! Some of my classmates know about TtM as well, which is awesome!  :fezesarecool:
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:04 AM »
Do you actually call him Sensei...?
Because I find it very hard to take something seriously when "sensei" is used.

Well, it is Japanese class, and it's common courtesy when speaking Japanese to refer to college professors as Sensei.

But I do get what you mean, it's kinda funny how people call him that while speaking English. Plus the fact that he's not even Japanese makes it funnier.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:06:51 AM by The Flying Marlin »

Double A

• Tier 6
  • Double double
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:05:09 AM »
Very interesting indeed. Sadly none of my classmates know or show any interest in the game, but I'll keep trying
I'm still alive. Object Oriented Programming subject has yet to kill me. Same cannot be said for Data and Discrete Structures....

Akira

• Tier 5
  • Masih berpikir..........
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:54 AM »
For me, your school is huge :o . In Indonesia, not every single room had a projector. So, when students/teacher wanted to use a projector for PowerPoint, we must go into a room with a projector in there or bring one at Administration room.

That was a good story, still better than my classmates. Only my cousin in my class who realize Ttm or other Freebird's games(ABS, TML, Lullaby). The man in my class are interested with sport, editing movie, etc. The girls are more interested with K-POP (or some of the artist like Jimin)

Austin Li

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: stressed stressed
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Somewhat similar story: I was playing For River in my VCE performance lesson (it's unbelievably easy, you can learn by ear if you want), and one girl sitting at the back stood up and screamed "Oh my god, I know that song!" And everyone else looked at her. At this point I was a little excited by the fact that someone else actually knew the game.

What really shocked me was that my teacher look at her casually and said, "yeah, It's For River from To The Moon. people say its story is really good, but I just take it as an itunes simulator."
I love milk.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »
That's amazing. Sometimes I wonder (if I had musical talent :reivsweat: ) if I played For River somewhere, how many people would recognize it? :)

gaudintig

• Tier 2
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »
That's such an amazing story !

I learn Japanese at school (1st year of university) too and I love it

I discovered this game just a few days ago, and I'm already talking about it to as many friends as I can
My dream now would be to make a movie of to the moon with them (we used to do some amateur movies together), but unfortunately this year we live 700 km away from each other because of school :/

But you have a great university ! I don't think that any of my comrades plays indie games they are more like to be interested in Facebook and parties