Author Topic: Thoughts on Minisode 2  (Read 32384 times)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Thoughts on Minisode 2
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »
I just wanted to ask if there will be a german translation of this minosode. I really would like to play this in german. :vikonsmile:

Yes, but it will probably take a little while, because I currently have some other things on my mind (have to move next weekend and currently doing some stuff for the open source project). ETA for the start of the translation is in ~2 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:06:11 PM by Thunderbird »
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »
What I am wondering is, if truly Kan had seen that conversation, and if that Willis and Taima scene was a small reference to us there? X'DD
Oh god, I sure hope not.

Hahahah, why hope not. Nothing bad about it :p
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 06:08:22 PM »
I don't think it's a reference to it, but if it was, of all the things that could have been referenced...why that? It was just so ridiculous.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »
c'moon you are just mean... lol
It was a lovely funny brief moment that we had together, maybe kan saw that :P
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Llefty

• Tier 1
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 04:26:56 AM »
I think all these theories are plausible, but what if nobody is in the machine at all? Much of the minisode could be due to hallucinations caused by extended use of the machine. It seems to be an experimental technology, so there could be unforeseen psychological side effects on those who use it for too long. Perhaps Eve and Neil are going through what Dom Cobb went through in Inception - losing their ability to tell what is real. They became so absorbed with the machine that they could no longer differentiate memories and reality, so the two were blurred together.

Peedator

• Tier 1
  • Actually im not that cool as i seemed to be
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 03:33:18 AM »
Yes, but it will probably take a little while, because I currently have some other things on my mind (have to move next weekend and currently doing some stuff for the open source project). ETA for the start of the translation is in ~2 weeks.
That sounds great! I just think that this game is (for german native speakers) more emotional. If you need help just tell me:3
(Enter signature here)

darkknight109

• Tier 2
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »
A very intriguing episode - definitely has me wanting more.

Something I noticed: if you examine the machine in the meeting room while controlling Eva, she points out that it's the thing that makes their job possible; examine the same machine as Neil, and he remarks on what a horrible waste of potential it represents.

So Neil's trying to make the machine do something it wasn't originally intended to do. Perhaps to view the memories of others, rather than just rewriting your own?

Call it a hunch, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Neil is going to die before the series is over and this episode might be revealed as Eva going back and looking through his memories after the fact.

Wherever she was in the final scene, she wasn't in her usual labcoat, so I suspect that's Neil's variant of the machine that she's using.

kie1

• Tier 1
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
just a quick idea i though up in the showers:

First of all, lets try to understand why Eva did the mem alt, From TtM, we have learnt that once a mem alt is complete and uploaded, its practically a death sentence to its patient. so there must been a major reason for Eva to look through her own memories. Its very possible that Neil died or something very bad happened to him, as we know that Eva cares a whole lot about our guy, even if she doesn't really show it. So it could be that Eva is trying to alter her memories so that she will not be so upset when the news hit.

Second, Eva's real room. She was the only one plugged in, but we could play as Eva or Neil. Remember from TtM, where Eva told use that 'River in this memory is purely based on Johnny's view, because she isn't in our database.' Well What if Neil is the date here? Since he worked in Sigma, it wound't surprise me if they have a detailed copy of Neil's neuro patterns. Maybe its so detailed that it could be a AI, or he's memories is plugged in to a AI main frame. This would explain why we get to play as both Doctors but only Eva is actually plugged in.

Third of all, What is Neil up to? what ever he's been doing, he has been met with a brick wall. 30 times, every time he failed. If he is in Eva's memories, as a experienced operator, he would know if this is the real world or not, or at least have some slight suspicion of the trueness of it. Thus he set to work on proving it. But remember how he is just a AI? well i think that the system and Eva's mind is blocking it as someone before said that "The machine cannot handle a second layer of simulation." And other Eva's attempt of stopping herself seeing Neil trying to access his memories because that would in turn make herself doubt this world and then snowball in to a system crash.

Lastly, Eva seeing Other Eva. This could be a result of the constant Neil AI battling with Eva's mind and the machine. 30 times is alot, and from what the story is telling us, these guys don't get alot of breaks so this must have stretched through a long period of time. This long battle could damage both the machine and Eva's mind, which would explain why Eva saw herself, the glitch at the end and how the machine failed to hide Other Eva's track and Eva is feeling it as the 'invisible stalker'.

The next chapter is going to be VERY interesting, as we might see the Past self question the future self of its motive, an AI trying to find its place in a made up world and is the whole mem alt business really as humain as we thought.

Whatever it is, count me in as this mini episode just drew me waaaaaaay down the rabbit hole.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
just a quick idea i though up in the showers:

First of all, lets try to understand why Eva did the mem alt, From TtM, we have learnt that once a mem alt is complete and uploaded, its practically a death sentence to its patient. so there must been a major reason for Eva to look through her own memories. Its very possible that Neil died or something very bad happened to him, as we know that Eva cares a whole lot about our guy, even if she doesn't really show it. So it could be that Eva is trying to alter her memories so that she will not be so upset when the news hit.

Second, Eva's real room. She was the only one plugged in, but we could play as Eva or Neil. Remember from TtM, where Eva told use that 'River in this memory is purely based on Johnny's view, because she isn't in our database.' Well What if Neil is the date here? Since he worked in Sigma, it wound't surprise me if they have a detailed copy of Neil's neuro patterns. Maybe its so detailed that it could be a AI, or he's memories is plugged in to a AI main frame. This would explain why we get to play as both Doctors but only Eva is actually plugged in.

Third of all, What is Neil up to? what ever he's been doing, he has been met with a brick wall. 30 times, every time he failed. If he is in Eva's memories, as a experienced operator, he would know if this is the real world or not, or at least have some slight suspicion of the trueness of it. Thus he set to work on proving it. But remember how he is just a AI? well i think that the system and Eva's mind is blocking it as someone before said that "The machine cannot handle a second layer of simulation." And other Eva's attempt of stopping herself seeing Neil trying to access his memories because that would in turn make herself doubt this world and then snowball in to a system crash.

Lastly, Eva seeing Other Eva. This could be a result of the constant Neil AI battling with Eva's mind and the machine. 30 times is alot, and from what the story is telling us, these guys don't get alot of breaks so this must have stretched through a long period of time. This long battle could damage both the machine and Eva's mind, which would explain why Eva saw herself, the glitch at the end and how the machine failed to hide Other Eva's track and Eva is feeling it as the 'invisible stalker'.

The next chapter is going to be VERY interesting, as we might see the Past self question the future self of its motive, an AI trying to find its place in a made up world and is the whole mem alt business really as humain as we thought.

Whatever it is, count me in as this mini episode just drew me waaaaaaay down the rabbit hole.
I would not doubt it if this is what the story's building up to. Seems pretty logical for the To The Moon world.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Wonderfulakari

• Tier 1
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
It seems to me like Neil Watts was altering some equipment while he was alone.  Judging by the fact he waited for everyone to leave this is either highly illegal or would get him fired but obviously it was important to him.

At the end we see Eva alone with some equipment with no patients or doctors nearby... Just her.  I was thinking maybe this is the very same equipment Neil was fiddling with.  It has been modified to do something other than to explore and change someone else's memories.  Maybe Neil gets caught doing something fishy and Eva gets wrapped up in his business somehow and puts on the helmet to see why Neil modified it.

Maybe Neils apparent illness or pain is caused by something other than chance disease and he knows he's in trouble which is why he called either a parent or possibility grandparent.

Wonderfulakari

• Tier 1
Re: Minisode 2
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
P.S. - Just thought of this - What if Neil isn't actually dying, but WAS dying. Maybe he was a patient, had his memories altered, and then pulled through. Maybe he has to take the painkillers to still deal with the effects of his near death experience. Maybe that's why someone was trying to stop him from accessing his own memories. But, why would Eva see herself? If this was the case, then when Neil would have accessed his own memories, that would have messed him up pretty bad. Maybe Eva is trying to alter her own memories to do away with that. OH, THE POSSIBILITIES!
On this last part it would explain why Eva and he have different accounts of that school play.

turkizhere

• Tier 2
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 07:30:54 AM »
It seems to me like Neil Watts was altering some equipment while he was alone.  Judging by the fact he waited for everyone to leave this is either highly illegal or would get him fired but obviously it was important to him.

At the end we see Eva alone with some equipment with no patients or doctors nearby... Just her.  I was thinking maybe this is the very same equipment Neil was fiddling with.  It has been modified to do something other than to explore and change someone else's memories.  Maybe Neil gets caught doing something fishy and Eva gets wrapped up in his business somehow and puts on the helmet to see why Neil modified it.

Maybe Neils apparent illness or pain is caused by something other than chance disease and he knows he's in trouble which is why he called either a parent or possibility grandparent.

But what if 7/11 was just a part-time job?

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »

But what if 7/11 was just a part-time job?
What's that got to do with it?

Quote from: rockingjohncarter
I really like your post dear. Nice stuff.
Idk why but I get the feeling this is a bot, judging by their signature.

PlatPlat1408

• Tier 1
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2015, 05:30:05 AM »
Something that I noticed (that's probably nothing important) is that the helmet we see being used by both Eva and Neil are seen with in minisode 2 are not the same helmets used in the actual to the moon game.  They are two different helmets.  Again, probably nothing important, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

turkizhere

• Tier 2
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
Something that I noticed (that's probably nothing important) is that the helmet we see being used by both Eva and Neil are seen with in minisode 2 are not the same helmets used in the actual to the moon game.  They are two different helmets.  Again, probably nothing important, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Probably a customized helmet.