Author Topic: Thoughts on Minisode 2  (Read 32226 times)

Amandaaa

• Tier 2
    • My blog :D
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Thoughts on Minisode 2
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
Thoughts on the new minisode?? :D

I guess this was a really confusing minisode so like...
-What was with the reappearing Evas in the new minisode?
-What was Neil trying to do with the machine?
-I heard a lot of people talking about Neil's parents?
-thoughts on Eva's diary?
-Who turned off the machine?
-Who's memories do u think they're actually in?

and like any other thoughts or comments or stuff yah :0
 :pegasled: :plat: :platquack: :Evapple: :deepstuff: :facepalm: :Evapple: :Evapple: :zombieva:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:16:57 AM by Amandaaa »
Amanda <3

Pretzle

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Minisode 2
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »
I was waiting for this topic... Ok, instead of waiting for others, let me start...

Spoiler: show
What was quite confusing to me was that first it seemed like Neil was using the machine himself somehow, but at the end you could see Eva in the machine, which makes me wonder, what is real (if anything?! Although it would be lame if nothing was about the minisode ;))?

My (very varied) guesses after the first playthrough:
- Neil is experimenting with the machine, maybe he is even addicted to it.
- As we have suspected for a long time, Neil is very ill and is trying to use the machine to to not just change memories, but to change reality somehow.
- Neil is using Eva as a guinea pig for some weeeeiiird experiment.
- Eva is the one doing weird experiments and has Neil trapped in her (probably not so evil) plans.

Short version: I thought I had it figured out, ending totally got me off guard and confused the heck out of me...
~ Searching for a lunar rainbow ~

MattHakor

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around what I just saw. I first had a hint that Eva was in one of those machines when we saw a double of her. (A Glitch in the Matrix if you will which is of course one of the hints that what we are seeing is memories being played out in the machine vs. what is actually happening)

How much of it was real? That's the real question isn't it? It does seem like Neil probably really is trying to use the machine on either himself or Eva. We know that for whatever reason, the memories only stick albeit briefly with someone who is weakened and about to die hence why Eva is aware that something is amiss here and there.

I really want to see what this means for the next full game in the series.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
I don't think it's necessary to hide our thoughts in a spoiler tab, since this topic seems to be devoted to this kind of thing. Anyway, things to think about - Eva sees herself walking across the road, Neil appears to be trying to access his own memories, Neil gets interrupted when the power gets taken down by himself (or at least someone accessing the machine under his name), and then the final scene, when we see Eva in one of the machine's helmets (it looks like someone is on a couch with a helmet as well; anyone know who that is...or was there even another person? I might have to wait for a video to be put up to take a closer look. EDIT - Watched Cry's video, saw that Eva was alone in that room; I mistook the machine next to the couch as a person with a helmet. My bad).
Now, here's my thoughts on it - If Eva was having her memories altered in a normal fashion, there would be no reason for her to see herself...not unless it was done on purpose to try and give her a hint at something. Same thing goes for the powering down of the generator under Neil's name. But, however you look it, it appears that someone wanted to stop Neil from altering or accessing his own memories (or whatever it was that he was about to do). Maybe this is because something happens to the mind when one tries to alter it themselves. After all, if he did successfully alter his own memories, he would still have the memory of himself altering it (paradox?). Maybe that's why Eva saw herself; her mind is degrading. Because, when you think about it, if the power hadn't been shut down, Eva would have walked in on Neil doing whatever he was doing. Now, what would that have actually led up to? With Neil's medical condition and family troubles, you might think that he would want to change something in his own memories, but we're also given hints that Eva seems to have her own troubles. What if Neil is just using himself as a guinea pig, to test if altering your own memories would work or not? Because, maybe there's something traumatizing that happened to Eva, but she doesn't want anyone else digging around in her head. So, what if Neil alters his own memories, then recommends Eva to do the same (which she does), but it's not until later on that the mind degradation takes place. Maybe those inconsistencies that we were seeing were efforts being done to try and right their memories, and/or a combination of memories that they tried to remove.
Anyhow, everything I said was PURE SPECULATION! Kan is doing a great job of leaving us with cliffhangers and leading us on. I can't wait to see what this all builds up to.

P.S. - Just thought of this - What if Neil isn't actually dying, but WAS dying. Maybe he was a patient, had his memories altered, and then pulled through. Maybe he has to take the painkillers to still deal with the effects of his near death experience. Maybe that's why someone was trying to stop him from accessing his own memories. But, why would Eva see herself? If this was the case, then when Neil would have accessed his own memories, that would have messed him up pretty bad. Maybe Eva is trying to alter her own memories to do away with that. OH, THE POSSIBILITIES!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:40:42 AM by Abrom »
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

nekobuster

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
So I have decided to make a Freebird Games account (finally) just to make speculations on the future games. Having played the second minisode, I found myself quite blown out of my mind, just because of its ending. So here's what I think:

Since Eva was quite surprised about seeing herself and noticing the manual shutdown by Neil. So what I think is that Eva doesn't know about her being in the machine. This might be because Neil is using her as an experiment while she was asleep or unconscious (maybe after being hit with that broom?!) and from the rest onward, she is experiencing her own memories (which she has nothing to alter she has nothing to alter) and isn't damaged because of that. This theory doesn't really prove why Neil is taking painkillers because those explanations may be separate to Eva's inception experience.

Of course, this is pure speculation... the minisode was pretty good experience(despite it ending a littler earlier than I expected). Can't wait until the next episode!

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
I think it was all related to preventing Neil from doing what he was about to do when he was alone that night. Maybe a future Neil and a future Eva entered either Eva or Neil's memories, and they altered the events there so that Neil cannot do what he is about to do there. Neil did something really terribly wrong, and either (or both of them) want to forget about it, perhaps. That's my tiny theory.

But in any case, it's a huge mystery and crazy curiousity, and I cannot wait what future brings.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:56:03 PM by Erenussocrates »
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »
It's really hard to say what is going on.

Two things about the ending seem very clear: Eva is the one using the machine and yes, everything we've seen (including what happened in TtM, too) is just happening inside the machine. After all, it's "reality" that glitches to reveal Eva sitting in a dark room, just like there was a glitch at the end of TtM.

We seem to have 2 doppelgangers in the minisode, one for Eva, one for Neil.
Then again, we never see Neil's doppelganger. Eva-2 could just as well have used Neil's login to shut down power.

Abrom, interesting thought, that whoever it was shut down power so Eva wouldn't walk in on Neil using the machine. That seems very likely and maybe it's what happened in reality? And maybe that triggered a cascade of events that whoever it is wants to repair?
Orrr when you are inside a memory already, you cannot pull an Inception and go into a memory in that memory. Because the machine might crash simulating two layers (or something comparable). So Neil had to be kept from unwittingly going to the second level?

Odd though that Eva seems so little "in control" of the simulation. She doesn't act like she did in TtM, directly changing things in the memory, where possible. Instead, she plays along as if it were real life. Why would she call and talk to her sister if she didn't believe she is really at the other end of the line? Could it be that the Eva we follow is the simulated one, and the real Eva is the one seen crossing the street and turning off the power generator?

So whose memory is Eva manipulating? Most likely option clearly is Neil.  But what's odd, in TtM we could only experience things that Johnny had participated in himself. Logical, since he couldn't have knowledge of events where he was not present. Yet we get to follow both Neil and Eva. Would that be an oversight by Kan, or a just a very subtle hint by him that it's not that simple? Maybe both doctors are somehow simulating and being simulated?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:01:59 PM by Sun »

MattHakor

• Tier 1
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
I really like the Inception reference. It does really make you wonder exactly what the Machine is capable of.

I can't wait to see what happens next because there's no way what we saw in this minisode won't tie into the bigger metaplot.

One interesting thought is where in the timeline this particular Christmas is happening in relation to Finding Paradise. We know the first minisode definitely happened after TTM.

broccoli

• Tier 1
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
I just spent a few minutes going back and NOT locking away Eva's diary in her office. Went back there with Neil to get this ominous-sounding diary entry!
Also, I wonder what role Neil's parents will play in all this.

GingerCorslette

• Tier 5
  • No comment.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
Maybe the two doctors are already dead.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
I just spent a few minutes going back and NOT locking away Eva's diary in her office. Went back there with Neil to get this ominous-sounding diary entry!
Nice! The feeling of being followed, which I'm assuming means that someone's going through her memories, in invisible form. Eva going through Eva's memories? :)
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
There's so many questions right now :o I hope they get answered in future episodes soon (or minisodes). I'd drop a theory here but I don't have anything at the moment :reivsweat:

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »
What I seemed to understand mainly from the minisode is that Kan is experimenting with narrating stories about altered memories from the perspective of the patient. This could work really well, or really poorly.

Also, aren't there regulations on how the machine should be used? I doubt they would let anyone use the machine for altering any memory, though if the machine can be used to alter one's own memories, that would open up more possibilities.

Wouldn't that be really odd though? You're in the mind altering machine, looking at memories from your own life. You aren't happy with how they turned out in the end, and you want to change them, but at the same time, your mind resists your attempts to do this somehow, and you end up being puzzled over what to do.

Amandaaa

• Tier 2
    • My blog :D
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »

Wait what does it mean in the diary entry when Eva mentions that someone's been following him?

Also I think Neil has like family troubles so he doesn't want to go home and hangs up when he calls his mom?

ALSO
on the main page it says

"However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the personís ability to properly function."

which is why they only do it on a persons deathbed and maybe why people are trying to stop Neil from accessing his own stuff or whatever
Amanda <3

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 04:27:48 AM »
There's so many questions right now :o I hope they get answered in future episodes soon (or minisodes). I'd drop a theory here but I don't have anything at the moment :reivsweat:
Usually,
You'll find more question instead of answer.