Author Topic: Cry Of Hell  (Read 4279 times)

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Cry Of Hell
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
This is my brother's game. It's a fantasy game with turn-based battles. He made this using RM2K/RPG Maker 2000. This is his first, and at this point, his only game. It took him several years to make this...which might be hard to believe, because a lot of parts of the game are ROUGH. He eventually gave up on trying to fill up the towns with people. This game had also been through so many revamps, that some parts of the story don't make sense. For example, at one point, a 'ceremony' will be taking place; somehow, the build-up to what this ceremony was supposed to be got lost along the way, and it makes it seem like it was a sudden wedding...which it totally isn't :/ There's also a million grammatical errors in here. I'll be perfectly honest and say that the game is quite mediocre until you get to the final quest in it. We are well aware of the problems in this game, but instead of trying to revamp it again, we all agreed with my brother that he should just start from scratch. At this point, he's still working on the script for the new version of it and the script for new material (he informed me that this is merely one out of several parts of the story that he has in mind). Here's the game, and just so you know, SELL JERKY AND BUY POTIONS AT THE BEGINNING! - http://1drv.ms/1FEsByE

NOTE: Originally this game was called Master Swords, but my brother eventually realized what a bad name that was and instead changed it to Cry Of Hell.

If you're not sure if you want to play, then you can check out this 5m39s video of a scripted battle that takes place later in the game. Although this could be a small spoiler, I'd say that it's more of a curiosity inducer :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7R8n4wuLD0

If you're still not sure, then you could also check out this epic 36m15s video, featuring a good chunk of the last scripted battle and the end of the game. You'll have to have a Google account to access it, and I'm pretty sure that it would fair to call this a spoiler - https://plus.google.com/photos/search/%23Videos?pid=5630092971947348098&oid=118356918513777591590

As you could tell from those videos, my brother didn't do much with the sprite animations. He had adjusted a few sprites in a basic paint program, but found it to be extremely tedious for what little payoff he got out of it. Does anyone know of a good program for editing sprites? Because if so, not only would it help with the new version and sequels of his game, but I've also been working on a script of my own. I've been writing a fanfic of the Claymore ANIME, mashing it up with original characters and story of my own. I got a trilogy in mind, and I'd say that I'm about halfway through it (which means that I got a complete script done for the first part/film). My hopes for this would be to work with my brother and turn these into rpgmaker films. However, understanding my vision, my brother told me that he would need a much easier way to edit sprites, and that he would also probably need a sprite artist/creator. He does know of a sprite artist, but apparently she doesn't really get back to him with his requests very often.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:01:10 PM by Abrom »
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Cry Of Hell
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Does anyone know of a good program for editing sprites?

I have not tried different programs and I can't even call myself a beginner when it comes to game creation and sprites, but have you tried the "Game Character Hub"?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/292230/

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
Lol, I laughed at every of Gregory parts,
I like the first fighting scene, It's gotta be thousands times of repeating to see if the event was right or not :P
This one is interesting, I download it and play it as soon as I can ;)

RM2K is the easiest RM, and easiest to edit sprite using paint, if you ask me.(Since it's pixel art and really small)
But if you wanna a little bit animation, I simply say you should try the "Anime studio pro 8", I used it for rotating picture sprite, hand, and feet all the time for my sprite (Long time ago when I still using RM2k and yes, I'm still using it).
But if you wanna make simple move such as moving feet and arms, It's a  lot easier to use paint.

Here's one video example of mine (I animate some of the battle sprite) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1tCMnyIic
:)

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
Yeah, my brother had to go through events over and over and over to make sure everything played out right. Now, as far as Gregory goes - his character is actually mostly my creation. My brother wanted to give all of us brothers a character in the game. Nail was supposed to my brother Steven's, but he didn't really get into the game, so that kinda got abandoned. Drewd is my brother Chuck's. And Gregory is mine...and almost everyone that's played the game says the he's their favorite. I don't really want to flaunt this though, because although I contributed a lot of his lines, my brother Jason (the creator) would throw in his own lines that he thought was suiting to the character. And, some of these lines that he thought were funny...well...it seemed like they kinda had a gay undertone to them. On the most recent playthrough of the game, I came to the conclusion that Gregory is gay now, and it's been a running joke with us. But...yeah...he's not supposed to be a homosexual :/

Edit - Oh yeah, I also contributed a bit of inspiration to how some people should talk, to give them character. Like, Balod is pretty much a joke character, and is just some evil guy's sidekick, so I suggested that he should just repeat everything the leader said twice, and throw a 'boss' in the middle of it. There's also a lawyer that speaks with a huge lisp. While Roy and Ailyn talk with some foreign accent that makes it hard to understand what they're saying sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:02:40 AM by Abrom »
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

The Jassi-fricka-nation

• Tier 2
    • The Jassi-fricka-nation's YouTube
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »
So, I'm the brother. And the creator. I should probably at least join here so, if I do try to say something in this thread, it's not all through Abrom. I should also try to be more active on the forums, but, I've been less active on forums the more I try them. :P

But, yeah, the whole editing thing was a slow process when I started. Things like a character's hair color would be done pixel by pixel. Probably easier ways to do it, but, I never quite figured it out. Game Character Hub looks like it could be a handy tool. Though, I would still need a little more help (or patience) with stuff like arm movements. I tried making a character tilt their head and their face turned into mashed potatoes. All I could do was leave it upright or mashed potatoes. Never got that tilt to work. But I did make myself hungry.

But, yeah, Gregory tends to be a more favorite character out of those who have played the game. I did enjoy making his lines. As far as the fight scenes go, that first one (The Battle) took about a month to complete that 5 minute interval. The second one (I called it Redemption, the one at the end of the game) took about 2 weeks to complete about half an hour. Somebody who played the last part of the game said it was probably a total of, like, 2 hours of cutscenes... Might've been a bit much.

Also, Roxaszu, that video's so freaking cool! :D The movements and animations look so smooth and I rather like the sound effects. :P Also, the mana cannon... and/or Silver Arrow... blast... thing... I'm sticking with mana cannon. That's what it's called. From now on!

Some people say it takes about an hour of playing the game before anything really starts. Others say it's the last two "quests" that make the game (there's five total). There's lots of points in the game begging me to fix or remove them. I've tweaked certain aspects of the experience to make them somewhat bearable, but, with the state it's in, I think I'd feel better making an abridged version from what I got and using a bunch of jokes (some inside jokes) about the problems with the game (especially the character quirks :3 ).

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »
Hi, Welcome The Jassi-fricka-nation :)
@ Both : It's pretty fun to watch it though,
I'll try it right now.
I know how it feels to replying the same scene over and over again and to trying to get perfect sprite with paint, It takes a lot of time, really, hahaha.  :hug:

Anyway, One secret for you, You can always use photoshop to edit things with layers, just :
1. drag the picture in adobe photoshop
2. CTRL + A (Select all) and copy them
3. make new page, and then enter (It should be in the same size with the picture)
4. Paste, edit there, and when you finish, copy back to the original one.
That'll make it even better ;)

Owh, and you can't use Windows 7 paint for RM2k3, you only can use Windows XP Paint, otherwise, RM2K3 won't read it :P

Thanks, Jay (I just call you Jay if it's okay to you) :)
I made it 2009 and planning to start it over right now :P (It was abandoned too)
I don't quite think It's fit to be called "Silver Arrow", Someone even named it "Kamehameha Arrow", Lol :P
But It's really laggy, actually if you play it, It'll be really smooth.

If you wanna some reference for great RM2K3 Games, I know just the place ;)
(If you interested, just ask, ok ) :)

Have any plan to try RM XP / RMVX / RMVXA ?

The Jassi-fricka-nation

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
TAAA-AAANKS. :D

One trick I found came in handy for those types of scenes was to put a transparent character that was able to be walked on. That way, whenever I get through a take(?), I could make sure everybody was where they needed to be or, at the very least, count how far off they were. Also, I would end it with a message saying, "MARK!"... Chuck (our other brother) would get confused during test plays at times and would wonder, "Who's Mark? Is he a new character?"

I've never used Photoshop. I suppose, if I am serious about this, putting up the money for it might be an idea. o.6 How much does Photoshop cost? Would Anime Studio Debut be a good replacement for editing RM2K or maybe even VX Ace resources? I've normally only used things like Paint.Net and GIMP (in a very amateur/noobish fashion).

Sure, you can call me Jay. :P I mostly get called "Jassi" on the internet, but, Jay works too. And no prob... uh... Rox...a... Ro... Roxer! I'mma call you Roxer. :3 ...?

Silver Arrow seems closer related to the name of a stealth move rather than a blow-up-dat-dang-dere-mountain-dere move, but at least it looked cool. :D

Though, I was actually wondering how it played with those animations in full speed. o.6 I might have to try the game at some point... If I ever get back into gaming. :P But, yeah, I was pretty impressed with just the various animations put into each movement. o.O Even what I imagined wanting to make my characters do wasn't that ambitious. :P

Mmkay, I might take you up on that RM2K3 offer. Got any with a good anime feel and story? :D I've heard a lot about the To The Moon's creator's stories and they're generally pretty good. :3 I haven't actually played/seen any yet, though. Mainly heard how To The Moon makes grown men with beards and tattoos cry.

I actually dabbled a bit with all of those game makers trying to figure out how I wanted to do my next project. 2K3 was kind of going to work, but I need to make animations I wasn't really capable and ran into limitations with the combat system. When VX Ace came out, I noticed quite a few things in it in the base system that were pretty much everything I wanted for my game. I suppose I could have taught myself scripting, but, that was another thing I wasn't really good at teaching myself. :P Also, I liked the idea of having character faces.

As it is, I'm thinking I do have to redo (do-do) this first game. Debating if I want it to play out like a visual novel or an actual game. Also debating if I want to do something as simple as RM2K. But, it needs to be redone. That next game I was putting into 2K3 was turning into a visual novel, but, I might've ran into a problem I couldn't figure a workaround and that got stalled too (don't even remember what it could have been). I've mainly been going back and forth for a while between figuring what I want to do next and running into a problem with each attempt I couldn't figure out. o.O

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
I'm not really sure how much Adobe Photoshop is (I got it from my Brother :P)
But if you wanna play 2k3, Ms. Paint should be just fine.

Alright then, Jessi it is ;)
You can call me Roxy (Or that is what I'm called here)

Just open the youtube, and change the speed to 1.5 or 2 (It's should be about 1,8 I think) and that's roughly how it's when It's normal speed.

Here are some games that helped me a lot to learn RM2K3 ( I think yours is RM2k though), I like to explore the game and learn how to make it from inside. :)

- Dragon Blade 4, It's really great for inspiration custom battle system. Not recommended to use though :P (Since It's really complex and you'll finally end up left the project)

- Starless Umbra, It's an alternate RM2K3, You might wanna see it.

- The Legend of the Philosopher's stone, Great story with great inspiration that we can do a lot of things at RM2K3

- Sacred Earth Bonds, Great game for learning customize battle in RM2K3.

- IB, I don't know, I don't play it, I don't really like horror games y'know :P

- Rose Chronicles, Great Graphics and really nice one. not recommended if you wanna make a long story

I think you should also try To The Moon and A Bird Story, or at least Do You Remember My Lullaby from this site (The last one is free). It'll help you to think more creatively :)

Don't worry, I think you can be a lot better ;)
I learn it mostly by youtube or seeing other's project, and then copy it.
Now I think there's almost no Limitation if you wanna make games with RM2K3. (Except for the graphics and consistent charset of course :P)

The Jassi-fricka-nation

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
Mmkay. Then, it's really the patience I should invest in. :D And/or a couple tutorials.

Yeah! Jessi it i-HEEEEY, WAIT A MINUTE... Nope, nevermind. Still sounds right.

Roxy sounds good. I can work with Roxy. :3

Ooo, I gotcha. Yer a thinking you are, Roxy... Boy, this video goes by a lot faster. That music is all cranked up now. o.O But, looks a bit smoother at x1.5 speed. :3

And, thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I'm pretty sure the main thing holding me back would be different graphics. So, if any of these games can give me ideas there, I'd definitely want to check them out first. :3

Though... learning how to customize my battle system would be a close second.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
And, thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I'm pretty sure the main thing holding me back would be different graphics. So, if any of these games can give me ideas there, I'd definitely want to check them out first. :3

Though... learning how to customize my battle system would be a close second.

You mean like this one ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEpdtG-ssZw

or like this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQVemcYWuk

The Jassi-fricka-nation

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
As far as the graphics go, those are both way past my ability. :P

As far as the battle system goes, I originally wanted Speed and Evasion to be two separate stats, as well as Magic Attack and Magic Defense, and three different pools for Health, Stamina, and Magic. This would allow me to do things like make certain characters fast but not very evasive (Drewd) or evasive and not very fast (Gregory). I was trying to get the Stamina system down on RM2K3 (without a Magic pool), but I was running into certain issues that I don't recall. I know I was trying to use Status Ailments for a character's defensive stance (to also regain Stamina), and I think it was related to that. It's been a while since I tinkered with RM2K3 though. o.o;

I also wanted to do some form of Title/Class system (which, RM2K3 already seems to have with Classes). So, that probably won't be too hard. But I might want a menu system for it. So that, when you select your character's title, all of the Titles you've unlocked pop up for selection/description. I think your game had a good menu system for characters (assuming I'm remembering this properly). Maybe I could do something like that for the title selection? :D

Lastly, I couldn't get a minotaur battle sprite or anything close to it... I was going to steal something from a game like Doom or Quake or whatever and just mash it in there until it fit. Never got around to it with (I think) the issues I was having above. o.6 A simpler solution might be to remove the battle animations so I might not have to worry about it as much? :D

... That went on rather long, didn't it?