Author Topic: Platonic Vs Romantic  (Read 8651 times)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Platonic Vs Romantic
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »
I have been thinking about this for a while and it seems very strange to me. Why is it that platonic relationships are not valued as highly as romantic relationships? In some cases this is not true, I know that, but on a whole it is considered to be true.

With many people they say that they love their romantic partner more than their friends, because their friends are 'just' friends. They say that romantic relationships are true love, but platonic love is worth less. People say they would rather be in a romantic relationship than a platonic one, and they claim they get 'friend zoned' when they are put into a platonic relationship.

There are many things you could argue about this topic, and there are many things that I did not say, what do you guys think?
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Platonic Vs Romantic
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:55:00 AM »
Ummm....
What is Platonic Relationship mean ?

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:06:52 AM »
Ummm....
What is Platonic Relationship mean ?
It is a word that is derived from Plato's Symposium, it means, in the most simplest way to say it, the way you love a friend. Like the phrases fraternal love (love of a sibling) and paternal love (love of a parent). Another way to say it is that it is not romantic, but it is more than a friend.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
I think because romantic relationships start with very strong feelings triggered by our nature , those feelings are often seen as the "ultimate feeling". The view of romantic relationships is often romanticized (no pun intended), however, and many people disregard the fact that the actual romantic feeling of "being in love" or "being infatuated" only lasts so long. This doesn't mean that a romantic relationship stops to be romantic at some point (though many relationships do), but that the initial euphoric feeling of being in love does only last a couple of months or a bit longer.

Personally, I think both kinds of relationship are very valuable, and I definitely wouldn't place a romantic relationship over a platonic friendship. To be honest I think it is most important to have persons you really like to be around, relationships that you want to maintain forever, and not out of duty. Both romantic and platonic relationships can be like that, and that's what I think is what really matters.

I also think that "romantic" and "platonic" can go hand in hand.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:20:27 AM by Squall »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
I will just make a quick note because right now I can't really write my opinion down because of some other priorities... (school sucks)

I think that romantic relationship is something that in the end of things gets more "publicity" or gets more noticed by the other people. While platonic ones tend to be more private between the two of them. In the end the romantic relationship usually forms a sort of partnership that is publicly acknowledged or disapproved while platonic relationship doesn't have any need for it.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
It is a word that is derived from Plato's Symposium, it means, in the most simplest way to say it, the way you love a friend. Like the phrases fraternal love (love of a sibling) and paternal love (love of a parent). Another way to say it is that it is not romantic, but it is more than a friend.

I do not agree with the way in which you explain this.

I explicitly see two definitions of platonic love:
1. i.e. non-sexual.
2. i.e. pertaining to Platonism.

I thought you were just referring to platonic love as a non-sexual love, but then you mentioned Plato. If I recall correctly, my interpretation was that Plato considered the love of persons to be a lesser love compared to a love of concepts/ideas of absolute beauty, virtue, or knowledge. The way I perceive Platonism is that platonic love is the love of these superior elements within a person.

I do not understand the foundations on which you are comparing platonic and romantic love. Each has several definitions and implications. I get the impression that you are comparing a mess of definitions against another set of definitions.

With many people they say that they love their romantic partner more than their friends, because their friends are 'just' friends.
I find this extremely simple: romantic (sexual) versus platonic (non-sexual). The difference is the inclusion or exclusion of sexual intercourse (and the preceding events [e.g. a date] or elements [e.g. "feels" (emotions)] in which the intention is to inevitably instigate sexual intercourse).

They say that romantic relationships are true love, but platonic love is worth less.
I believe this implies a selfish refusal to become closer to somebody who did not reciprocate love. Thus the person who was rejected might feel bitter to some extent about the whole experience. Love, whether romantic or platonic, does not need to be reciprocated. Rejection can create bias against a mode of love. However, Cassandra Pentaghast would say, "Get. Over. It."

I conclude that:
1. Romantic love (sexual) is at odds with platonic love (non-sexual).
2. Romantic love (attraction to ideal persons) nicely fits platonic love (love of these ideals as per Platonism).

I think your question forgets that people are elevating romantic love above platonic love because they hope it's based on the aspects of a platonic relationship.
Darn, I did realize later but you hit the bulls-eye.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:37:24 AM by SinnyVic »

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »

I do not agree with the way in which you explain this.

I explicitly see two definitions of platonic love:
1. i.e. non-sexual.
2. i.e. pertaining to Platonism.

I thought you were just referring to platonic love as a non-sexual love, but then you mentioned Plato. If I recall correctly, my interpretation was that Plato considered the love of persons to be a lesser love compared to a love of concepts/ideas of absolute beauty, virtue, or knowledge. The way I perceive Platonism is that platonic love is the love of these superior elements within a person.

I do not understand the foundations on which you are comparing platonic and romantic love. Each has several definitions and implications. I get the impression that you are comparing a mess of definitions against another set of definitions.
I merely mentioned Plato to say where the term was derived from, or at least where I think the term was derived from. I tried not to mention any sort of Platonism definitions of platonic love.

And there is such a thing as romantic love. There are three general levels of love*, sexual, romantic and platonic. These terms are all disconnected with each other completely. And if you want proof of this, type in 'queerplatonic' into the internet, as well as 'romantic orientation'.

*There are more loves, but these are the three main ones.

With many people they say that they love their romantic partner more than their friends, because their friends are 'just' friends.
I find this extremely simple: romantic (sexual) versus platonic (non-sexual). The difference is the inclusion or exclusion of sexual intercourse (and the preceding events [e.g. a date] or elements [e.g. "feels" (emotions)] in which the intention is to inevitably instigate sexual intercourse).
Sexual intercourse is not the only thing that separates platonic and sexual. That's like saying that platonic means nothing. There is a clear distinction between platonic and romantic, other than the fact that one includes sex and the other doesn't. Platonic and romantic love are quite clearly different loves altogether. they have different feeling intertwined in them, different words spoken to one another.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
I personally find friendship in its deepest forms to be pillars of a romantic relationship. For me, being a close friend is a stepping stone to the "next level," which is all of the previous aspects of platonic friendship plus more. Romantic love without this base isn't love, it's infatuation.

I think your question forgets that people are elevating romantic love above platonic love because they either hope it's based on the aspects of a platonic relationship, or aren't aware that it's mostly infatuation. But, in my mind, a true romantic relationship has all of the elements, and the two separate groups are platonic and infatuation.

In more simple terms, the reason that two people having sex is regarded more highly than two people who are great friends is because people hope or imagine that the two people having sex are also great friends.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
So,
Platonic relationship is simply a love as a friends or to family, right ?

Alright,
Here's what I think.

I agree with squall, that actually
"romantic" and "platonic" can go hand in hand.

Maybe it's because there are a lot of movie and media is making our mindset think (Unconsciously of course) that Romantic Relationship is much better than Platonic Relationship, but It's actually not true.

In fact, we actually learn about Romantic relationship is based from Platonic Relationship.
based on how we treat other, treat our family, and people around us.
When we practice that everyday, We will finally be ready for Romantic Relationship

I remember that there are someone says that :
To Men :
"The way you treat your Mom and your Sister at home will be the way you treat your Wife later on"
and to Women :
"The way you treat your Dad and your Brother at home will be the way you treat your Husband later on"

So, If we never learn how to respect someone with "Platonic relationship", It will be hard for us to learn the true meaning of "Romantic Relationship" later on.

So, the conclusion is, yeah, Platonic Relationship and Romantic Relationship do have connection, and we've got to learn about Platonic Relationship in order to learn Romantic Relationship, therefore Platonic Relationship much more worth and important than Romantic Relationship.

Note : Platonic Relationship helps us to grow, while we implement it in our Romantic Relationship. so, we can't really separate them.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »
Monogamy, or rather religions and cultures.

The restriction to one Significant Other at a time may have the effect of making the relationship feel more important.

I can't say I'm fond of the way "love" is categorized .
I would rather say non-romantic non-sexual relationship instead of platonic love.

If you break up the term "platonic love," you get non-sexual love.
To me, this is referring to a romantic non-sexual love.

If you keep the term whole, you somehow get a non-romantic non-sexual relationship.
I would not consider a friend or family relationship to be love at all.
Thus, I would leave it at non-romantic non-sexual relationship.
I would not call a relationship a non-romantic non-sexual love unless the degree of attraction is very high, such as an asexual couple.

I feel the word "love" is used too liberally.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:37:19 AM by SinnyVic »