Author Topic: Osu  (Read 4525 times)

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Osu
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
This is not made by me.

A friend introduced me to this game today. Its a music-rhythm game. Its kind of hard to explain, so here's a video of it:
CitrorPGM - KOTOKO - Light My Fire (TV Size) [Shana]

Its free and you can download new beatmaps (which are music levels) and you can also create your own (though I haven't yet figured out how).

You have to create an account to play but that shouldn't really be an issue.

You have different difficulty levels, ranging from Easy, to Insane and beyond.
(I can barely do normal at the moment, which is difficulty level 2 of 10 XD)

You'll have to tell me what you guys think. You can search for different beatmaps here: http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist

There's quite a variety on there, and there's be plenty of anime music which is what I've been playing on at the moment.

If it interests you, it might be worth giving a try. The client download is around 65MB but you'll have to search and download the beatmaps you want seperately. There are some beatmaps that come with the client, and I'd recommend playing the tutorial beatmap first.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

From the website: "osu! is primarily played using a mouse to click 'beats' displayed on-screen in time with the music. This is analogous to tapping the beats on the Nintendo DS screen with a stylus. At the top of the screen, a health bar is present, which is constantly drained. If the player hits or clears a beat, the health meter at the top of the screen fills slightly. If he misses a beat, a large part of the meter is drained, and if it gets completely empty, he fails the song. There are three types of beats in the game: Hit circles, sliders and spinners. Every time the player hits a hit circle or an end circle, touch a slider tick, or clear a spinner, the combo is raised by 1. If he misses any of the above, the combo is reset back to 0."
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Osu
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:14 AM »
Hmm. osu! is certainly a game that I come back to once in a while and play casually. I suppose I'll touch on points randomly as they come into my mind... Let's see...

---

The game is presumed to improve your hand-eye coordination. With that being said however, osu! is just as much about beatmap memorization, preemption, muscle memory, timing, knowledge of commonly-used patterns, etc.

I see osu! being mentioned in various game forums as a way to improve hand-eye coordination. However, I personally feel it is best to keep in mind that hand-eye coordination is not the be-all and end-all of gaming proficiency. You certainly do need some level of hand-eye coordination to perform well. However, at some point, it becomes more efficient to improve your game sense and knowledge of the game you're playing.

Of course, you should also factor in your physical fitness and level of confidence.

---

There are several setups used to play this game. For osu! standard mode, I know of: mouse-only, mouse-keyboard, and tablet-keyboard. I've observed (via twitch.tv streams and direct communication) that there's a good number of tablet-keyboard players playing higher difficulty beatmaps.

---

To improve, I've found it helps a lot to find a beatmap with a song that resonates with you. Of course, the beatmap should also have an appropriate difficulty that you can conquer in a "reasonable" amount of time. This way, you can improve yourself while enjoying the experience and, at the same time, find a song you really like.

If you're going to attempt to get a decent rank (or bridge a gap between difficulties), you should never force yourself to continuously play a difficult beatmap with a song that just feels meh (i.e. you don't dislike the song but you don't really love it either). On several occasions I've chosen a beatmap simply because of a higher difficulty rating and on each of these occasions, I wanted to flip a table.

If you're aiming for a S or SS rank on a difficulty level that you aren't comfortable with, you're going to be playing the same beatmap and listening to the same song dozens or hundreds of times. So you should really, like... REALLY, try to find a beatmap with a song you really, really enjoy.

If you're aiming for a really good score (i.e. near the top), accustom yourself to playing with difficulty increasing mods and get used to playing with these mods. You're going to need to use some of these mods and S rank to get a really good score (this is my observation. I am not a good osu! [standard mode] player; my limit is pretty much 3.5 stars).

Since I only play osu! on occasion, I lose any significant progress in getting better at the game due to simply not playing. Every time I come back to the game, I'm noticeably worse (as expected).

---

I can barely do normal at the moment, which is difficulty level 2 of 10 XD

The difficulty rating and ranking system was revamped at some point. The previous ratings felt noticeably off the mark. Some noticeably easy 4 and 5 star beatmaps before the revamp are now 3 star beatmaps in the new system. There was also the problem of all the actual insane difficulty maps being crammed into the 5 star rating which created a ridiculous gap in difficulty between 4 star and 5 star. Although, with the new difficulty system, I don't think I even have a beatmap that is higher than 7 stars.

The new rating system seems to be a great improvement. I can now judge a map's difficulty more or less accurately using 0.5 star increments. It seems fairly accurate and my grades seem to be pretty much the same for each difficulty.

---

All in all, it's a pretty cool game. I certainly come back to it every so often to download a bunch of beatmaps and find new music to like. Since beatmaps are created by the community, as long as someone is willing to create a beatmap for a song, it can be played in osu!. Touhou OST/remixes, anime/game OST, voice synthesizer songs, dubstep, drum & bass, nightcore, instrumentals/classic, rock, metal/screamo, new age, pop, and whatever else there is.

I personally prefer Megpoid (Vocaloid Gumi) among the synthesized voices / voice banks. Uhhh, let's see... osu! introduced me to artists like Haru, FictionJunction, supercell, and 07th expansion (from the top of my head). I even found a soundtrack from the game Ib; that was cool. Oh, and, Guilty Crown OST is always a pleasure to listen to.

---

Hmm. Beatmaps do take up space. With 650 beatmaps, my osu! folder is getting close to 5 GB.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:43:09 AM by SinnyVic »

reeta

• Tier 1
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:55:51 AM »
Looks awesome :D

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
I have played that, it was fun for a while ^^
But I'm not really that much into going for highscores. Especially if you compete on the whole globe, so you don't really have a chance to get a satisfying place (unless you want to play a single Level for years).
Also while the music choice is great, your actions get pretty repetitive in this game.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Akira

• Tier 5
  • Masih berpikir..........
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:02 AM »
I'd be interested to hear your feedback.
Osu is really fun for otaku, maybe?(usually the most music in osu are Anime music)
I more like osu mania mode than osu (using mouse)
Hand get tired for beginners who play osu using mouse
For the expert, .......... i don't know how to describe them

So,
What's your nickname in osu, atommo?
Maybe i can invite for some play?
Because i play osu! too