Author Topic: Is there anything changed about gog ,steam and bundle version?  (Read 5704 times)

fay_envoy

• Tier 3
  • Fay is fay forever.
  • Current Mood: happy happy
 :pewpewpew:
You're welcome :)

(Feel free to skip to the bold text).
The issue is with the design of RPG Maker XP itself, as far as I know you can't have different translations that share the same scripts and graphics and differ on dialogues, therefore you have to make different rgssad archives (which is actually an archive containing Data & Graphics folders) for each language.
It gets worse when you want to release your game with DRM, without DRM, with Steam achievements support, etc.

I think English version of To The Moon has these different versions:
- The one that you can buy directly from Freebird, payments are processed via Plimus. This version has/used to have DRM (I may be wrong about this, this is what people used to say about it when Gog version worked on Wine and the Freebird version did not).
- The one you can buy from Gog (and other DRM-free stores) which is DRM-free.
- The one you can buy from Steam, which includes Steam API for achievement support.
There is an Origin version too that I do not know if it is different from those above.

Mac & Linux versions of the game are only available in English, currently only sold via Steam, do not include Steam API support and dependency, lack achievement support and are DRM-free :)

Now to complicate things further, we have official translations available for the Steam version on Windows, as far as I know those translations do not include Steam API/achievement support and are DRM-free.
I have made a Mac/Linux compatible version of some of those translations and I'm planning to provide the rest too.

I have said all that for future reference, what you really need to know:
You can base your translation on the Gog version I sent you. When your translation is complete, you can send your translation to Reives to include it on Steam page, and you can send it to me to make it compatible with Mac/Linux.
So you don't have to worry about all the different versions :)
I make up a dialogue text from the version of gog-version.
Is it can be used in other versions?

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Is there anything changed about gog ,steam and bundle version?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
The Gog version and the HumbleBundle version and probably any other version bought from DRM-free stores are the same.
(MD5sum for "To the Moon.rgssad" is the same for both Gog and HumbleBundle versions).

Steam version is different on Windows and only for the English version. The difference is in the fact that it includes Steam API support (things like achievements) in the scripts so it depends on Steam dlls to run.

Here is what you really need to know: If you base your translation on the Gog/HumbleBundle version, it can be released on any store, including Steam, but it will not include Steam Achievements support.
As far as I know, none of the translations currently available on Steam are using Steam APIs so your translation would be just like other translations.

If you want to add the Steam achievements support, you can check the rgssad file of the Windows Steam version to get some clues, but you should know that it won't work for the Mac & Linux versions of your translation.
It is both because of a technical difference, Steam API support should probably be implemented differently for Mac & Linux, and because of a license issue, mkxp (the engine used for Mac & Linux ports, made by Ancurio)  is licensed under GPL 2.0 and I have heard that there are license incompatibilities between open source software and Steam APIs.

Last but not least, even without using the Steam APIs, your To The Moon translation will not work out of the box on Mac & Linux, you have to implement the script changes Ancurio made to the English version for Linux & Mac to make it work.

Here is what I suggest you to do:
- Base your translation on the DRM-free Gog/HumbleBundle version, none of the other translations seem to support Steam APIs.
- After the translation is complete, you can give the result to your Linux porter (xiaoji/345865759) and he can apply the Linux & Mac compatibility fixes. And if he needs any help with that I will gladly help.

fay_envoy

• Tier 3
  • Fay is fay forever.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
About the changes of the translation, I found a quote:
In case you've wondered why there is so much stuff more than one time in your textfile to translate and if it's relevant to translate:

There are some possibilities:
1) Old unused maps (not relevant):
I've already talked to Reives about this, when we began translating. He has removed a lot of old stuff, but there is still some old stuff left.

2) Trigger branches (relevant):
Choosing whether to play Neil or Eva results in two different event sets, depending on who you play.
You should translate them different, because the characters shouldn't talk the same way.

3) Duplicated Events (relevant):
In some cases the dialgue starts if you talk with one out of two persons (-> there are different places to start the event), Reives copied the old event in this case, so we got multiple sets of the same dialogue.
This should be translated the same, because otherwise you will receive different dialogues depending on where you start the dialogue (or you could vary it for surprise replay value, hehe~...).

4) Story related flashbacks (relevant):
Of course those should be translated the same way, they've been translated in the scene before.

It's difficult to find out which lines are are unused, so it's best to translate them all.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
The above quote is not about translation changes, Thunderbird is explaining the reasons you may see several instances of the similar English dialogues in the text file DreaMaker generates and how would be the best way to translate each one of them.

fay_envoy

• Tier 3
  • Fay is fay forever.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
Thanks Ali.
We're going on translation now. :)