Author Topic: Last Word  (Read 45823 times)

Unimaginative Username

Re: Last Word (TESTERS WANTED!)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
That was it, it runs fine now. I'll be updating this post as I play through the game.

Visual Bugs:

~ At the start the door sometimes closes before the servant has gone back through it. So he just walks through the closed door anyway.

Gameplay Issues:

I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but you can purposely lose games continuously to boost your exp and gain levels.

Spelling/Grammar Errors:

~ Once the servant lets you in, the s in guests is missing:
Spoiler: show

~ In the wash-room after the weird mouth first talks there is a missing full-stop in one of your sentences:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:29:28 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »
Just find some bugs.
1. At the beginning of the game, you can see the character, you might wanna start with no character until you show picture and add the character where it should be. or something about it.

I don't know if I'm over level or what, but It's look's like it's pretty strange to find yourself finish before even start.
You might wanna add 1 bar for this :

Note : After this picture, the player will say "Pretty", I'm not quite sure if that is wrong or what...

If you win against the professor, all the events in the room will repeat over and over again, my chara even can walk on the wall. you might wanna try to make an alternate ending with it. or just put the prof at level 50 or something...

Note :
I'm not quite sure if It's because I'm equipping all the skills or what, but I think the professor have the same skill as mine (And he using my "Saving Grace" so I have to defeat him twice...)

4. When you change topic to Wine Testing and talk to other, topic on the bottom left will gone (Not quite a bug I think) and you can't talk anything with the others about it.

That's all for now, I'll update again later on (Need sleep)

Oh yeah,
There's another bug...
The Cat's talking !  :whaaa?: [Spoiler]Just kidding, It's not a bug.
[/Spoiler]

Overall it's nice, I like the graphic, and the system, It's somehow addicting, but I'm not really sure sometimes where to go , maybe you should put the "Lock Picture" on the next destination or some guide...

Note : I'm stuck at finding "Code Key To the secret room", I can't find it
Other Note : I'm not trying to lose where we should be winning.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:14:46 PM by Roxaszu »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
What the--why are you level 42!? XD

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »
I count 'em as a bug then... :P
That's what will happen if you defeat "Dr. Watson".

Anyway, Little help with the "Stuck"?

~ At the start the door sometimes closes before the servant has gone back through it. So he just walks through the closed to anyway.

I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but you can purposely lose games continuously to boost your exp and gain levels.

I also find some of these bugs....
everywhere....
Just kidding, only some place.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

So you guys lose more battles than you win every time?

Does it make a difference knowing that when you win a battle you get WAY more EXP than when you lose? There's a certain level difference where if you're losing over and over you spend more time grinding than if you would win once. If I conveyed the EXP gain differently would it change the way you guys played, or should I nerf how much EXP you get when you lose?

Thanks, that seems like it could be a big issue. :)

As for where you're stuck, I'm not sure where that is. If you Gossip with people about the last Key Topic you got, you should be able to get every next Key Topic needed to unlock the Locked Topic. The Locked Topic is the place on the map where there's a big yellow lock hovering over it.

Tell me which spot has the big lock icon and I can tell you who you might need to talk to. :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

I don't understand what happened here. Who is "Dr. Watson," and how did you get to that level before fighting the first real boss?

Did you just suddenly become that level somehow, or did you see yourself getting a bunch of EXP after battle? I'm so confused about this. XD Were you just leveling up for two hours or something?

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 04:28:07 AM »
The exp on losing is probably how I got my first few levels until I could beat the Purple guy. It probably isn't too much a problem since beating someone gives you much more exp - I just felt bad about constantly destroying the Grey man.

After the first few levels it doesn't work very well because the exp required per level increases quite a bit.

It's more of an early game issue, but since most people will be still getting the hang of battles at that time, then it might not be worth reducing the losing exp gain to avoid it becoming demoralising for people who suck.

I guess another thing it could depend on is whether or not the exp gain is scaled by the difference in level between you and the opponent. Is it possibly to loss against a really high level opponent and gain as much exp as you would by beating people at your level?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:31:33 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:59 AM »
EXP is calculated pretty simply in the version you have (I updated it based on this feedback).

Loss EXP = Whitty's Level

Win EXP = Whitty's Level + Opponent's Level

So no matter who you lose against you'll still get the same EXP, but if you defeat a stronger opponent, you gain a lot more. The Next Level is also a simple formula (not arbitrary numbers) based on your level that allows you to gain a new level after three or four losses. But if you fight Seymour (Grey) who always matches your level, you'll get exactly twice as much EXP after battle for winning, which means you gain levels twice as often.

The current version is more skewed. I made Loss EXP equal to half of Whitty's Level, which means grinding on losses is more effective early game and pretty pointless lat game. To gain a level on losses you'll probably need to lose seven or eight times. It's much better to win.

The skill Tipping Point modifies Loss EXP by bringing it back to 1:1 with Whitty's Level.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 05:30:28 AM »

I don't understand what happened here. Who is "Dr. Watson," and how did you get to that level before fighting the first real boss?

Did you just suddenly become that level somehow, or did you see yourself getting a bunch of EXP after battle? I'm so confused about this. XD Were you just leveling up for two hours or something?

Here's doctor watson (from Sherlock holmes):

I called that Dr.Watson since the brown one wearing same brown color and same mustache with the same gentlemen's hat.

And yeah, I leveled up till lvl 42, It takes me about 1-2 hours. I thought we should beat the brown one before we move on, but..
Oh well.

I was told to find a secret way, and the purple one told me about some secret code, I don't know where to find that secret code, The lock picture is above the Lip statue at the most left upper room.

And our skill like saving grace etc, I don't quite like to use it, since if we use it, our enemy can use our skill,
For Example : If I use saving grace, I have to defeat the enemy twice since his first defeat, they'll using saving grace (I better disable it then...)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:36:09 AM by Roxaszu »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:24 AM »
I fixed the Saving Grace glitch. :) I also made it so Holden McCall doesn't mimic your moves. I did quite a bit of changes, actually! XD

The next step for the code is to Gossip with General Sandhoff (Green) about St. Lauden Forces. Since the code you need is a military code, it makes sense to bring up the military topic to the lady in the military. At least, I hope it makes sense. XD

Thanks for all the help! I fixed pretty much everything you brought up! I'm getting ready to submit it.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »
Here is another couple of bugs:

~ I bought the Wine Tasting Lv.1 topic but I can't gossip or chat about it to anyone. It has no effect and the interaction with the people ends.

~ I also can't seem to chatter to anyone. Same effect as above, it just backs out of the interaction.
Actually what seems to be going on is that chatter about that topic is just not available or is chatter just casual conversation not related to the selected topic? Anyway I can chatter to the Servant just fine.

This is using the same build as I used yesterday. Not the updated one.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:20:06 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 06:08:07 AM »
Yeah, no one has the updated one. Those problems you're listing are optional world-building things that I put aside to finish the proper portion of the game. I spent most of today just finishing all of that! Thanks, man! You're in the credits as your real name, if that's fine.

So...

I UPLOADED THE SUBMISSION! Whooo!

Thanks for all the help, guys! This has been a rough month, for sure!

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/464#.U7E12JRdXaA

You can check out the submission there. Vote it up if you think it deserves votes, and download it if you haven't played it yet! :)

Unimaginative Username

Re: Last Word
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:03 AM »
Yeah, no one has the updated one. Those problems you're listing are optional world-building things that I put aside to finish the proper portion of the game. I spent most of today just finishing all of that! Thanks, man! You're in the credits as your real name, if that's fine.
That's good, I'll have to play through it again to check them out - downloading it now. Using my real name is fine, thanks for adding it in there ;)

You can check out the submission there. Vote it up if you think it deserves votes, and download it if you haven't played it yet! :)

I can't seem to up-vote it. Presumably I'm meant to do so by clicking like, but it does not seem to have any effect :P

Facebook likes seem to work though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:39:40 AM by The-PurpleOrange »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
I couldn't get the vote button to work either, yet some other games seem to have quite a few "public votes." Hm.

And yeah, thanks for helping out, man. :)

The only thing truly missing in this final version is Key Topic: Photography. You start out with it, can get it to LV.02 optionally, and then it stays pretty much ineffective and untouched after Chapter 01. But it's not really too necessary to develop it. Key Topic: Wine Tasting works now, though. You use it to collect extra Stored EXP and fill your wine label list up. XD

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
I couldn't get the vote button to work either, yet some other games seem to have quite a few "public votes." Hm.

And yeah, thanks for helping out, man. :)

The only thing truly missing in this final version is Key Topic: Photography. You start out with it, can get it to LV.02 optionally, and then it stays pretty much ineffective and untouched after Chapter 01. But it's not really too necessary to develop it. Key Topic: Wine Tasting works now, though. You use it to collect extra Stored EXP and fill your wine label list up. XD

Yeah, I upgrade the wine testing too till level 2, and nothing happen,
Oh well..

As for vote, Isn't it is on 1-7 July ?
Here :
http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/index/rules

Owh, And good luck for the competition ;)
I like your game btw. (Except for some chat, I just skip it)

And you don't know my real name right btw ? <Just wondering.>

I fixed the Saving Grace glitch. :) I also made it so Holden McCall doesn't mimic your moves. I did quite a bit of changes, actually! XD

The next step for the code is to Gossip with General Sandhoff (Green) about St. Lauden Forces. Since the code you need is a military code, it makes sense to bring up the military topic to the lady in the military. At least, I hope it makes sense. XD

Thanks for all the help! I fixed pretty much everything you brought up! I'm getting ready to submit it.

It's make sense and I already Did that.
nothing happen. I already try to gossip and chatter with all people with all topic, and I don't know why, I can't move on.
And now She's asking for lvl 4 hidden words... (Which is I stuck on finding lvl 3 Hidden words...)

Other Bug : you cannot gossip with the lvl 5 Private Prattle Topic

I try the new one, and It won't work either, so I try it before talking with prof, and It work this time, I'm not sure but I'm already move on, Thanks :)

Note : Btw If we win against the professor, "Let's just pretend that I'm win" Hahaha,That's quite funny :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:47:59 AM by Roxaszu »