Author Topic: Body Image and Expectations  (Read 5448 times)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Body Image and Expectations
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »
The normal body image is for women to be skinny and men to have large muscles. Body image affects everyone of any age, sex or class.

Many people can become obsessed with their body image to the point of becoming anorexic or an unhealthy mindset. Body image can make many people feel stressed and insecure about relationships or themselves.

Quite a lot of people judge others they meet by how they look, despite the fact that it is a very poor thing to judge people for. You never know how people are going to judge you by your appearance, somethings can be more distinct or important to diffrent people, making avoiding bad judgments close to impossible.

I want to know what others think on this topic and other opinions and arguments.
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Body Image and Expectations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »
Quite a lot of people judge others they meet by how they look, despite the fact that it is a very poor thing to judge people for. You never know how people are going to judge you by your appearance, somethings can be more distinct or important to diffrent people, making avoiding bad judgments close to impossible.

I think this is a bad thing, but no one ever talks about when and why it's a good thing. Believe it or not, quick judgments based on appearance are useful tools we've adapted as humans. We can inform ourselves on whether something is dangerous or helpful, relate-able or pointless, etc., based on snap judgments. It's how we can look at a bowl of fruit and tell which one we want; they may ALL be perfectly good, but some of them look bruised and not worth trying.

The damage comes from being stubborn. If you make a passing judgement and are unwilling to adapt to the truth of the circumstance, your judgment has rendered itself useless. You end up with things like prejudice and dismissal.

I can see a person who is lean and healthy and immediately make the judgement that they respect their own body and health, which I find a positive trait. I could be wrong, though, and it might be that they are paying for a gym trainer specifically to make people envious, which I find a negative trait. My passing judgement told me something good, but the reality was something bad, and the willingness to collect more information beyond appearances is what gives the the full picture.

I think that body image is important. I don't think there's any one image you should go for--look and dress how you like--but know that how you dress and look and act is a form of communication, and that you can and should expect people to interpret what your body is communicating to them.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
I don't care much for looks when it comes to myself (being naturally irresistibly handsome helps, I guess). I do like fit women when it comes to look at them for specific purposes, but I don't "judge" people based on their appearance for anything else but my willingness to maybe hit it on with them. That is, I care about looks if I'm going to sleep with some woman, if not then their looks are irrelevant to me and I have no prejudice based on that, other than checking them off my ummm... dateable list?
You may think that's shallow or discriminatory, but I don't care, when it comes to dating (which I don't really do much anyway) I can be with whoever I want for whatever selfish reasons I want and it's not discrimination. Discrimination is about basic interactions and human rights, which I don't have any prejudice based on appearance at all, I don't think so.

I think the biggest problem with body image expectations is for the person in question. Why does it matter so much what others expect? That's more of a problem than the fact that others expect something. You can't mind-control them, they're gonna have their prejudices and expectations, leave them be. The problem is how much that matters to you.

I've recently started working out at home. Nothing special. It actually has nothing to do with body image and in fact I've always been agaisnt the idea of going to the gym (friends would suggest going a lot of the time and I always adamantly refused as I thought working out to look good was the dumbest thing ever). The only reason I do it is because it makes me feel good. Not my image, I don't care, it makes my body feel alive. It's pretty good. Working out is cool because it's healthy and if you care about looks, it helps too. It's better if you don't have a specific appearance goal, though, just get healthier and you'll look like a better version of yourself, you don't need to be anyone else nor look like them.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
In My Opinion,

Actually there are most of people (Around the world maybe) sometimes feel insecure about their body,
But there are some things (Facts) you should remember is :

1. No matter how perfect you are, there will be someone talking bad at you. So people should stop listening others and be yourself.
(But this is not an excuse for us to being better in the future, ok)
Spoiler: show

Don't ever be People pleaser

2. We can't change other's respond to us (Or Situation around us), but one thing for sure, We do can control how we respond to others (And situation around us), either it's positive response, or negative response that will show. <So yeah, We do always have a choice>

3. Here's the true thing :

4. We also have no right to judge others.

5. You can't be like others, and they can't be you, So yeah. Each person are special, Accept them as they are and Accept yourself as you are
Note : This video has tiny relation to this statement. just for fun , okay :P

6. Do what is functionally right for you, Not other think what is right for you
(Because only you the one who knows your only condition and what really necessary to be done.)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Here's Some example that helped me to learn that Beauty actually comes from the inside :
Nick Vuijic :

Nick Vujicic

LOOK AT YOURSELF AFTER WATCHING THIS.mp4

This girl choose to follow her dreams despite of self pitying her hand :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=697262733634315

And this one, just beautiful (Attitude and character) :
http://shockable.com/called-worlds-ugliest-girl-response-unbelievably-beautiful-literally-cried/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I think this is a bad thing, but no one ever talks about when and why it's a good thing. Believe it or not, quick judgments based on appearance are useful tools we've adapted as humans.

Side Note :

Theoretically :

From the Psychology side, It's true.
In fact, actually you can see someone by their appearance, Why ?
Because, Everything that you eat, Everything that you do, Everything that you hear (Basically everything and everyone around you) will completely affect someone from the inside and be implemented to the outside (Appearance included), Therefore It's a privilege for someone that learn such a thing to know someone new better.

- It's actually good for us to hear other's opinion, as long as that help us to grow and not to destroy us.
 ( For this one, You should have a good relationship and know their heart for you )
The key of all is :
Treat others like how you wanna be treat

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:33:38 PM by Roxaszu »

~

• 放浪者
  • Tier 3
  • Beauty Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
The normal body image is for women to be skinny and men to have large muscles.

This is a modern western sociocultural phenomenon and changes drastically between cultures and frequently over time. Pick any culture and the ideal body is different, a woman's shaved head in the west is conspicuous, not the case throughout regions of sub-Saharan Africa. Pick any historical era as well, look at the sculptures, paintings and photographs of the people at the time - where did the Victorian waists and monstrous hips go? Men are clean shaven now? Where art thou yesteryear's eccentric grand beards and twirly lip fur?

As the world becomes more globalised and political correctness becomes more pronounced, new laws, new polices and the mixing of cultures will undoubtedly change this image and, IMO/with a bit of luck, post-postmodernism might even destroy the concept of body image altogether.

Basically, this whole skinny-women/muscly-men thing is next to nothing, personally I feel it's already dated, and you can expect this to change. Indeed, it already is, how many google results do you get for "plus size models"?

This isn't always a bad thing, but damn it, Merlandese already beat me to everything I wanted to say.

Unless you're blind, you'll be making an initial judgment on everything and everyone based on what you see. You might describe this as shallow, but it's meant to be shallow. It's a fast and (indeed) sometimes inaccurate way of judging things, but it can potentially help you avoid danger.

The fruit example that Merlandese mentioned is quite good, but you can easily extend it to human interactions too. You might be walking along a road at night and see some seemingly drunk, hulking meathead up ahead. Whether consciously or subconsciously, you will immediately judge him based on what you see right there and you'll determine whether or not he could be dangerous (or perhaps just a pain in the butt!). I don't know what you would do, but a typical response is to cross to the other side of the road and avoid any confrontation. In truth, the man might be gentle giant who wouldn't harm a fly - he might not even be drunk! - but this would've been a risk that some wouldn't take.

On body image, looks become a form of non-verbal communication. How you dress, how you act, and your body shape and size all communicate to others about what sort of person you are. As you mentioned though, how people interpret this communication differs from person to person. Individuals do this in the context of the above sociocultural desirable body thing. The less homogenous the society is, the more varied responses will be.

If you feel discontent with your current body, for sure work towards being more comfortable. If not, good for you! Though you'll just have to accept that people will always be making judgements based on looks - this is just the way we're wired, it's instinctual and derives from our desire to survive.

PS: i don't know if i typed this out properly, I'm sick and kinda tired and I haven't even had breakfast yet ;_;
- visitor | hunter

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01:31 AM »

This is a modern western sociocultural phenomenon and changes drastically between cultures and frequently over time.

PS: i don't know if i typed this out properly, I'm sick and kinda tired and I haven't even had breakfast yet ;_;

It's true, And some of them already start to impacting my country here.

PS : I think you type it just fine, And, Get well soon ;)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »

This is a modern western sociocultural phenomenon and changes drastically between cultures and frequently over time. Pick any culture and the ideal body is different, a woman's shaved head in the west is conspicuous, not the case throughout regions of sub-Saharan Africa. Pick any historical era as well, look at the sculptures, paintings and photographs of the people at the time - where did the Victorian waists and monstrous hips go? Men are clean shaven now? Where art thou yesteryear's eccentric grand beards and twirly lip fur?

As the world becomes more globalised and political correctness becomes more pronounced, new laws, new polices and the mixing of cultures will undoubtedly change this image and, IMO/with a bit of luck, post-postmodernism might even destroy the concept of body image altogether.

Basically, this whole skinny-women/muscly-men thing is next to nothing, personally I feel it's already dated, and you can expect this to change. Indeed, it already is, how many google results do you get for "plus size models"?

This isn't always a bad thing, but damn it, Merlandese already beat me to everything I wanted to say.

Unless you're blind, you'll be making an initial judgment on everything and everyone based on what you see. You might describe this as shallow, but it's meant to be shallow. It's a fast and (indeed) sometimes inaccurate way of judging things, but it can potentially help you avoid danger.

The fruit example that Merlandese mentioned is quite good, but you can easily extend it to human interactions too. You might be walking along a road at night and see some seemingly drunk, hulking meathead up ahead. Whether consciously or subconsciously, you will immediately judge him based on what you see right there and you'll determine whether or not he could be dangerous (or perhaps just a pain in the butt!). I don't know what you would do, but a typical response is to cross to the other side of the road and avoid any confrontation. In truth, the man might be gentle giant who wouldn't harm a fly - he might not even be drunk! - but this would've been a risk that some wouldn't take.

I know that there are many other body images, but I just used that as a quick example, and also, I was too lazy to go into further detail about all the numerous body images.

I agree that judgment of apperance can be a very good tool to advoid harmful people or fruit you don't like, but it can also be a very poor tool to use for it as well. As Lan mentioned eariler about how all the fruit pieces could be perfectly fine, and what you mentioned about the man might not even be a drunk, there can also be threats that we cannot pick up on. There might be a man who looks shy and nice, he could be a serial killer, no one knows what goes on in people's heads, and people don't make too much of an effort to display who they are through their body, or what they're thinking.
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:46:18 AM »
It depends on how much you care about certain expectations.

I'm not being myself because I want to consciously be myself, I just don't care about the aforementioned expectation(s) when living my personal life.