Author Topic: Homeopathy  (Read 3206 times)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Homeopathy
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
Something just crossed my mind: If homeopathy works, there would be a cure for everything.
Rough sketch of how homeopathy is supposed to work: Every substance can be a cure for x, if dilluted enough.
It gets dilluted in water again and again until no molecule is left in the medicine, but it's supposed to still work, because the water remembers something.

Well, let me present the panacea for every illness then:
marine water
It should contain every single substance every used in homeopathy in the wanted dilluted form.

(Sadly homeopathy is nonsense, so I didn't find the panacea :/)
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Homeopathy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »
It certainly seems like nonsense.

*Slow Clap*

Kitchens, the universal truth and cure-all.
This message is sponsored by Kyo & Co. Bringing a little kitchen delight to you everyday.

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:24 AM »
For a moment, I thought you're talkin' bout a pathological study of homosexuals... lol, sorry, its just a discussion on memory of water and some such stuff.

Well, if you travel throughout Asia and a large part of Middle-east, even some parts of eastern Europe, you'd find that traditional herbal medicine is even more common-place than Western medicine even though the latter is recognized worldwide. This is spurred on by the costs modern medical treatment. Think, less than 20% of the entire world's population have access to proper hygiene education, and even less have access to modern healthcare services. Nevertheless, these cultures continue to thrive and develop. In this regard, Asia in particular had surpassed the West for roughly 15 centuries after the birth of Christ until the entry of Renaissance. It's not surprising at all that traditional medicines continue to thrive, together with a mumble-jumble of pseudo-sciences. The fact that they are still around could either testify to their effectiveness or the capacity of mind-over-body. (It may also testify to the simplicity of human nature, but that is another matter)

Memory of water, however absurd sounding it may be, works about just as well as a placebo and it is up on debate how effective this is, since even modern medical science has extensive literature on the subject without discounting the possibility that all medicines are, in fact, supplementary. Personally, I have seen miracles involving injury and terminal patients for no less than ten instances, convincing me that a "panacea" does exist in the form of faith. That is not to say that this "panacea" works on everyone all of the time. Suffice to say that this is a subject important enough for cancer cures to be required to demonstrate statistically significant effectiveness against the placebo tablet, which, yes, has to be tested on unknowing patients. Kinda sobers you up to realise that every time you enters the hospital, a portion of your human rights have already been signed away... muahahaha.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:32:09 AM »
Memory of water, however absurd sounding it may be, works about just as well as a placebo and it is up on debate how effective this is
"Works just as well as a placebo" means that there is nothing in there that does something.
What helps is the care that the patient receives, and - I agree - also the faith that he got something that is helping him. I guess it stimulates your own body to work harder ^^
It's a part that get's the short stick in the traditional health system, even when it's power is already scientifically proved.

which, yes, has to be tested on unknowing patients. Kinda sobers you up to realise that every time you enters the hospital, a portion of your human rights have already been signed away... muahahaha.
They aren't allowed to just replace random medications, the patients of those experiment groups know that they might get the placebo (unless the experiments are done illegally).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:36:56 AM by Thunderbird »
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »
They aren't allowed to just replace random medications, the patients of those experiment groups know that they might get the placebo (unless the experiments are done illegally).

No, of course they aren't allowed to randomly experiment. But I'm not jus' talkin' bout the medication here. I mean, how many o' us bring plastic zip-locks to retrieve all the blood and plasma we spill in the A&E department? What happens to all those bio-wastes that serve as ample samples? It'd be such a waste ta waste 'em, doncha think? (lol, pun intended)

And in fact, there are experiments that must be done without patients' knowledge. Part of the argument for the effectiveness of placebos is actually based on the differences between patients who know they are being experimented on and those who do not. By that I mean there are, in fact, 5 groups: among those who are in the know about the experiments (placebo/real), among those who are not in the know (placebo/real), and the control group which are not given any placebo or real stuff. The hospital's careful enough to cover itself legally in all those fine prints such that the moment you accent to the drug, whether placebo or not, you have already signed your deal with o' Nick.

That's why I'd rather die in my house than any where else...

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
That Mitchell and Webb Look: Homeopathic A&E