Author Topic: Italian translation is... out of reach?  (Read 8006 times)

meconio

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
Italian translation is... out of reach?
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
hi there.

I just played to the moon, and I really, really want my wife to play it as well. BUT she don't know english, so I'm looking for an italian translation.
I saw that steam says that italian is a supported language, but the game client i download has no language selection, looks like it's just in english. Besides, my steam client is italian-localized, so if there was an italian client, steam would give me that.
I supposed that the italian client did exist (a friend of mine confirmed it) but just for windows, and I got a mac.

Besides, I found around the internet some italian patches, but they're for the windows version. I tried even to use wine bottler to get a windows install of the game, then patch it, then run it, but it is in english again (I don't know why, I will try to get some insight on it).

I read the thread of the italian translation, and I got even more confused. The thread is quite old, but updated since nowadays. The translation it speaks of is the one currently on steam? If not, it is another official translation? Besides, it is completed? There is any way I can get it working on a mac?

If I can help, I'd help gladly. My english is a bit rusty, but used to be quite good; I am a software developer so I'm not afraid to do some technical work (meh, i'm not in games, I do boring stuff for a living)

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
Re: Italian translation is... out of reach?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
Hi. I don't think the translations have been ported yet nor do I know if the translations need to be ported at all. I'm not aware of the technical aspects of the Mac port of To the Moon.

For the discussion on the Italian translation. The translation's already done and is uploaded on Steam. However, desukoa arrived sometime back and told us of her intention to translate the game again. Apparently, the grammar of the first version is bad. The new translation is not yet completed.

More of that here in her introduction thread: http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=5112.msg177544

I would gladly send the guy doing the Mac port your way but I don't know who he is.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Hi,

As far as I know the current engine used for porting the game to Mac & Linux does not support localization yet.

But there are two possible scenarios that I will try my best to help you with:
- It may be possible to patch the game files to replace English text with the Italian one and it may work with the Mac & Linux versions.
- If the above scenario does not work, I can help you with running the game, in Italian, under Wine on Mac.

First things first, can you point me to the Italian translation patch?

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
- It may be possible to patch the game files to replace English text with the Italian one and it may work with the Mac & Linux versions.
I tried putting Polish maps (Windows) into Linux version. Doesn't work (the game crashes after a few sentences). Most likely same will be true for Mac version.
Ancurio is currently working on this.

meconio

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
thanks everybody

i just found an old crappy netbook which runs windows, should be enough for steam and to the moon
so, the issue is no longer vitally urgent

anyways, some other people could have my problem, so if we find a solution it is better for the community

@ali: the patch I found is the file you download here: http://gamesresources.forumfree.it/?t=63259638
(disclaimer: as far as I know, the file or the site could contain malware)
it says only to replace the .rgssad file in the program directory. I did it with the bottled version, but it remained in english.
The comments on the site suggest that the file is working, indeed.
I guess wine bottler retains some kind of cache of the files at the time of bottling?

Maybe it is time for me to learn to use wine...

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
@meconi:
You're welcome.
I have sent a download link via Private Message to you.
It includes the Graphics and Data folder for the Italian language that you should copy them to "To the Moon.app/Contents/Resources".
You can access that path by right clicking on "To the Moon.app" and clicking the "Show Package Contents".

Some caveats:
- In order to make sure the game works well on Mac, I had to keep 4 files of the English version but the rest of the 967 files are intact Italian versions.
I have tried several game saves and everything was in Italian except one case where it said "Pickled Olives" and "... cheesiest remark"! It may include other English text here and there but most of the game should be Italian now.
- Load/Save screen is in English, As far as I know the Windows version has the same limit too.

In case you want to try Wine again, I did not try that Italian patch but the official version on Steam works fine.
You can install Steam on Wine, then download To The Moon, right click on it from Steam, Click on Properties, set Italian as the Language and wait while the Italian translation downloads as an "Update".
PlayonMac is one of the Wine interfaces on Mac that can make all this easier.
And whatever Wine GUI you use, don't forget to set the DirecDraw Renderer to "gdi".

@Kyo:
I agree that Ancurios's work on localization support would be great, In the meanwhile I think you can use all the files from your localized rgssad but you have to keep these files from the official English Linux/Mac version:
Map010.rxdata
Map167.rxdata
Scripts.rxdata
System.rxdata

I tried it for the Italian rgssad file taken from Steam and it seems to work well, no crashes so far.
Is there any specific scene which causes the crash?
BTW, You can use ttm_unpack to extract the resources from official rgssad translations available on Steam:
http://davidgow.net/hacks/ttm_unpack.html

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:40:12 AM »
@Kyo:
I agree that Ancurios's work on localization support would be great, In the meanwhile I think you can use all the files from your localized rgssad but you have to keep these files from the official English Linux/Mac version:
Map010.rxdata
Map167.rxdata
Scripts.rxdata
System.rxdata

I tried it for the Italian rgssad file taken from Steam and it seems to work well, no crashes so far.
Is there any specific scene which causes the crash?
BTW, You can use ttm_unpack to extract the resources from official rgssad translations available on Steam:
http://davidgow.net/hacks/ttm_unpack.html

I didn't think about leaving out part of maps. It could work, but... well, it's only a temporary solution. And there's a good chance the "cobra" puzzle won't work properly (I mean, it will work, but only with the english word).

meconio

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »
eheh

the italian word for "cobra" is actually "cobra" :D

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
I didn't think about leaving out part of maps. It could work, but... well, it's only a temporary solution. And there's a good chance the "cobra" puzzle won't work properly (I mean, it will work, but only with the english word).

I found out about them by comparing the original steam rgssad file and the patched one that Ancurio's patcher creates.
If I had access to the source of those 4 files and also the patched ones from Ancurio, I guess I could apply the patch to Italian files too.
Of course it is a temporary solution, Ancurio is doing the hard and right thing to do, instead of just patching the various translations and providing separate files for each language, Ancurio is working to make localization possible in a more efficient way.
BTW, surprisingly, the Cobra puzzle displays in Italian.

eheh

the italian word for "cobra" is actually "cobra" :D

Yes, I played in Italian until the Cobra puzzle and saw it :D

Edit: I saw this topic just now:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=5214.0
Now I understand what Kyo was worried about, in languages that Cobra is a different word,  the puzzle would still only work with Cobra, right?
I guess it would require the translated Scripts.rxdata and System.rxdata files to be patched to work with Ancurio's engine.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:31:40 AM by Ali »

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Now I understand what Kyo was worried about, in languages that Cobra is a different word,  the puzzle would still only work with Cobra, right?
I think it would, yes. In my language - for example - "cobra" is "kobra". And unfortunately you can't change it in the dialogues file, you need to alter the script using RPG Maker. I'm not even sure, if it's possible to edit Linux and Mac versions with the program.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
I found a tool titled rxdataeditor, it may help in modifying the scripts.rxdata files of  translations to make them Mac/Linux friendly.
I will try it tomorrow.