Author Topic: Cuss/swear/rude/bad words  (Read 7517 times)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Cuss/swear/rude/bad words
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
This topic is a fairly simple one and mostly underlooked, because of the acceptance of it.
Recently I was talking to my brother about this topic and we thought it was very interesting.

Personaly I don't like swearing for many diffrent reasons. My first and most important one is how the words sound. I really love languages if it be English or French, I really love how some words sound. Say for example, the word, "eloquence" it sounds nice to say and has a really good meaning. If you compare it to a word such as "bitch" there is an obvious diffrence. I am not saying that the 'swear' words sound bad, a lot of them were originaly used in normal terms, such as bitch=female dog. But if you look at all the 'bad' words you'll see a lack of eloquence, it seems the eligible candidates for swear words are very simple, unrefined words. Because of this I have a tendency to not swear.

I have many other reasons too, but I just wanted to write that one right now.

But now to rebutt what I said! (Yay!)
My brother brought up a point that they're just words. When he brought this up it reminded me of a book by John Steinbeck called, "The Grapes Of Wrath", there is a character in the book who is a preacher. The preacher no longer wants to be a preacher, because he doesn't beileve in what he was preaching. Anyway the preacher swears while near the protagonist, and the protagonist is shocked and inquires about it. The preacher says that they're just words and they 'don't mean nothing'.

I was just wondering what others thought. I know that there's numerous other opnions that come from The Bible and classic books and such, but this topic always seems to be dewarfed by other philosophical discussions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:39:38 AM by EgotisticalRaven »
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Cuss/swear/rude/bad words
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »
I don't have any deep psychological reason to swear. It's either that or something and in worst case someone catches a punch, kick, elbow or knee (believe me the two later options are much more painful than the two previous). As far as swear words go I agree that they're just words most of them are fairly short so they are nothing fancy but try swearing "traditional" swearwords in latin (for example) and you sometimes get an interesting results. Same goes for many other languages hen you try to actually translate swearwords that are of different culture. Really nice example would be in Star Gate Atlantis you have a Czech scientist Zelenka who at some instances swears in Czech. If you translate those you get some interest insight to how swearwords work for different culture.
So yeah I tend to swear and usually it depends on company in which I am or on my psychological composure. Like yesterday I was infuriated when I found out that after 2 weeks of being without internet I am lacking the phone link cable for modem and phone plug. I was deeply frustrated and pissed off. Before all as an IT student most of my homework, assignments and source materials are found online and usual working materials are on my desktop. I don't find libraries or the campus of my university a good environment to study aside of classes so I indeed let a decent chain of swearwords while searching if I really do not have the said cable. After that I just went to my job and took one unused cable from there (yes I got the permission to take it) and luckily the situation was resolved but still these things are very frustrating especially if it's something you are of desperate need.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
I agree they're just words, and people who get offended by mere words are, for the lack of a better word, stupid. There's people who would get more offended by a swear word using in a non-offensive context than a well-spoken insult. That to me is just stupid. Words by themselves are meaningless, it is the intent that we should always judge. That's why I hate this current idea of being "politically correct". I'd rather be honest than politically correct, and I'd rather people be honest to me so I can make a proper judgement of their words than they being politically correct while they mean something we don't get the chance to hear.

As for swear words in particular, they're natural to me. I use them in casual talk like any other words, but when enraged by something, swearing is a good alternative to punching walls or stuff like that. So they even serve a purpose! we should call them good words. F*** yeah.
It helps me calm myself when I start swearing ridiculous things, things that make no logical sense. Then I laugh at what I said and the rage is reduced.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
I agree a bit with the preacher when he says they "don't mean nothing." I'd argue even that they mean something specifically, but that definition is an intention that can hop from word to word.

For example, some people replace the word "hell" with the word "heck," to make it not a swear word. You might be flabbergasted and shout, "What the heck!?"

So in this phrase, what is the definition of "hell"? Figure that out. It's a bad word (or rather, a bad place) and must have a meaning in the sentence. But what's the definition of "heck," also? If they aren't synonymous in the context, how was it that one was replaced with another and the meaning still conveyed?

No matter what word you replace an expletive with, you're giving it the same definition as the former word. If that's the case, which I'm arguing it is, then it's not the word itself that's bad; the intention of the word is what's bad.

So then it wraps around, and preacher seems to recognize that no matter what word he uses in place of "bitch" or fuck," he'll still be using a word that has the context-designated definition of "bitch" or "fuck."

So basically I agree with Ferd, pretty much. XD If you follow the logic, cursing isn't about which words you use, but about what you mean when you use them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:20:25 PM by Merlandese »

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
Though I do agree that they are just words, the meaning that they convey are what I really think is the issue. (From an occasional swearer here.)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
I've always thought of it as similar to money -- not wealth, but just the paper bills and pieces of metal that we deem valuable. Their significance is whatever we deem of them, but the problem with curse words is that everybody uses different currencies and... this analogy sure fell apart fast.

Will the Wiccan

• Tier 2
  • Will is a Wiccan now
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
They are just words.

Juice Box

• Dumpling
  • Tier 2
  • Olly-olly-oxen-free!
    • Lemons4winMelons4Suck
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
They are just words.

But words have power.

I normally don't swear, but I'm not against it. Sometimes people really need to let off some steam and they just can't help themselves. Besides, it's not like anyone can get hurt from hearing someone say, "shit!"

What I am against is the abuse of those words. Using those words to hurt other people. Insults, basically.

So saying rude words to express yourself? Fine by me, so long as you don't trample on anyone in the process.
"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect."
- Me

"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect--but imperfection isn't the entire beauty of it. The strive for perfection is."
- Jeol Friend Person

"Olly-olly-oxen-free!"
- Hannah Baker

Thirteen Reasons Why and The Fault in Our Stars. If you've read them, you have my undying respect.

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Geez, don't go underestimating the power of words. Words spoken by different people under different circumstances have resulted in drastically different results. Context, people, context... Swearing and cussing in front of the panel of jury is way different from cussing in front of friends in the bar.

I don't swear and cuss much myself... Used ta be complete virgin to the F-word until I entered service. Even now I don't do much of that so as not to set the precedence for future kids. But I can understand why folks do that - kinda like farting and sneezing. Sometimes, you just can't hold it in...

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Cuss/swear/rude/bad words
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
I used to never swear as a kid and thought it was a sin when I did. Now I do swear but not a lot and I don't say very offensive words, like the f word or the c word, and I usually censer them on the internet (hence the reason you hardy ever see me swear). I swear more when I play games though, but hey who doesn't! I mean when you get jump scared by something, you're first response is "OH SHIT!" or when you try to get an enemies attention, you might say "Come at me, bitch!" or something like that. On the other hand, there are moments when swearing is necessary like when you step on lego, kick you're toe on something or hit your elbow (the funny bone isn't so funny then, is it? lol) You're not gonna simply say "oh gosh, that hurt" are you? Even when parents need to discipline their kids, they don't usually listen to kind words. But then again, sometimes the don't listen at all and then you have to resort to something else BUT that's a discussion for a different thread. I'm not saying swearing is a good thing but sometimes... It's necessary for people who do swear.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
Yeah, just like so many others have said, they're just words. What really matters is the way they're being conveyed. If you just use a cuss here and there when you tell a story, people don't think anything of it. If you use cusses in an angry or demeaning way, obviously they come off as quite harsh, especially when yelling. I'm not against people cussing, except I know of a couple people that can't really even get out of a sentence without cussing. That annoys me, because it seems to me that they must have a limited vocabulary to keep falling back on those same, simple words to describe everything.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
My brother brought up a point that they're just words. When he brought this up it reminded me of a book by John Steinbeck called, "The Grapes Of Wrath", there is a character in the book who is a preacher. The preacher no longer wants to be a preacher, because he doesn't beileve in what he was preaching. Anyway the preacher swears while near the protagonist, and the protagonist is shocked and inquires about it. The preacher says that they're just words and they 'don't mean nothing'.

Dear priest, by definition, words have a meaning. If they don't have a meaning, they are not words, but gibberish. So yes, swearwords mean something.

Now, whether feeling offended when someone shouts one after hitting his thumb with a hammer makes you "stupid" - nah, don't agree there, either. At least I find it's an impolite way of saying this: You will have a happier life if you don't get offended by such things.
Still: If someone cusses all the time, as much as they can, then they are the ones that make their own lifes harder than need be, because they apparently get angry at every little thing.