Author Topic: What are the differences between RPG Maker versions?  (Read 4438 times)

Nipah

• Tier 1
What are the differences between RPG Maker versions?
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
First, sorry if this was asked before, searching the forum didn't show any results.

My question is:  What are the key differences between VX, XP, and IG?  The site doesn't offer very specific details.
I'm mostly wondering in terms of:
1. What you can do/make with them
2. What are the limitations (maybe like a venn diagram of what you can only do in one, what you can only do in the other, and what they both can do...?)
3. What are the rules on sharing and/or selling the games you make with it, does one offer more freedom than the other?

Sorry if this is asking too much but any information is greatly appreciated!  And so far I can tell that you guys prefer XP over VX but I'm more-so interested in the technical and artistic reasons why.
Thank you very much!

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: What are the differences between RPG Maker versions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »
Sadly the forum search is broken, it won't offer any results regardless of what you are searching for.
I don't know anything about IG.
VX and XP both focus on creating 2D RPGs, but they are quite different in the art style and what you can do.
VX is better for creating games with an I think it's called isometric view? Like in the pokemon games.
As far as I've read VX is easier to use, but scrapped some good option from the RPG Maker XP like fog.

On RPG Maker XP you can share and sell games you have made, I guess it should be the same for VX.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.