Poll

Ending - Happy or Sad?

Happy
23 (45.1%)
Sad
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)  (Read 17392 times)

Verilee

• Tier 1
Re: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »
What a great story and a fantastic little game.

I voted "happy" for the simple fact that the effect of the beta-blockers was reversed just in time.  Johnny was robbed of his first (and arguably, most) precious memory of River; the doctors made sure he got it back.  The only thing that would have made the ending happier was if Eva had pushed Neil off of the bridge at the end.  Seriously, that would have been absolutely brilliant!

For me the most emotional moment was the one where River talks about how all the lighthouses are so far apart.  The terrible sadness of being alone and without a partner is conveyed excellently in that dialogue.  I guess that's why I found it so important that Johnny be able to recall it.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Ending - Happy or Sad? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
The funny thing is that a lot of people feel more emotion for the emotionless chracter. This was a happy/sad ending depending on who you felt you liked the best. Say for example if you liked Johnny better than River then maybe you'd think it was a happy ending, if you liked River better then maybe it was a sad ending. Though this may differ.

I think it had a happy ending. River dying discontent wasn't the ending of the game, that was the start, it had a sad start and a happy ending. The ending was happy because they gave Johnny his wish, Johnny died happy. The event that created the sad feeling was watching the early memories, like Joey's death and River & Johnny's first meeting. Because these negitive emotions linger for a long time, they keep getting fed as well. But the ending was very happy, Johnny believing that he they went to the moon.

One other thing I want to note, Johnny remembered their first encounter, so if you think about it, River was trying to help him remember that. It's like she got her wish as well.  :plat:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:47:31 PM by EgotisticalRaven »
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.