Author Topic: Can't load library: KERNEL32.dll  (Read 11018 times)

baaru

• Tier 2
Can't load library: KERNEL32.dll
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »
I just bought this game today and was looking forward to playing it, but after installing I keep getting this error:

In case the image fails to work, it says "Protection Error" "Error: Can't load library: KERNEL32.dll"

I've tried reinstalling, running as admin and changing my DEP settings (as per the FAQ), none of which worked.

I'm using 64x Windows 7 with DirectX 11 and am happy to give you any other info that might help you help me.

Thanks in advance.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Can't load library: KERNEL32.dll
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:02:41 AM »
Mmm that's first time I hear about this issue. From what I know Kernel library is from 95/98/Me series and is quite important when running any programs. Have you tried to find one of those Kernel repair tools? o.O Try google a bit.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

baaru

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just tried the sfc command in cmd to verify the integrity of my kernel32.dll and it reported that it was fine.

All that seems to be left now is that it's a hardware issue or To The Moon just doesn't like my system for some odd reason.

Zeriab

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
Does this happen to any other game?
Do you have another game/program that uses DirectInput and DirectSound?
The engine was made before Microsoft created XInput, so maybe the issue is along that line.

Oh, and where did you get the game from?

baaru

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
I've not had this problem with any other game before.
I've been able to run Hitman: Blood Money with no issues, which I believe uses DirectInput.

I got the game from Freebird's To The Moon page (by clicking on the "Get Full Version" button).

I've also done a harddrive test and found no problems there. Thinking I'll try a RAM test soon if nothing is forthcoming, though they're a bit of a pain.

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Try running in Compatability mode try both XP  SP3 and Windows 7 and see if that helps. Also check the always run as Administrator checkbox.

Not sure if this will help you out, just throwing the suggestion out there. You tried just putting the To the Moon executable as an exception so it runs sans-DEP correct? Make sure your Video Card Drivers are up to date.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:23:38 PM by Dreadsteed »

baaru

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Yep, I've put it as an exception in my DEP settings, I have the latest drivers from the Nvidia website, I have it always running as admin and I've tried compatibility mode for XP and 7.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
Does it allow you to get compatibility bellow XP? I'd try 98.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

baaru

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Tried everything from 95 through XP (SP3) to no avail. :'(

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »
*ahem* -dust blows in every direction from this old topic-

I think the problem is/was for some reason you did not have the right security permission to read the dll file. In C:\Windows\SysWOW64(or System32 if you're running 32 bit)\ find kernel32.dll and go into properties. There's a security tab. If you click onto that you can select your username to see what permissions you have. You should have 'Read' & 'Read/Execute'. If that is not the case, that is the issue.

If that is the problem, the easiest fix is to click the 'Advanced' button, go to the 'Owner' tab and change the owner to yourself. Then go back to the Security tab and edit the security permissions for your account to match what I stated they should be.

Sadly I'm almost 4 years too late, but I couldn't help trying to solve what the issue was. :P
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true