Author Topic: Wouldn't such technology be kind of expensive? (Spoilers)  (Read 4691 times)

Alistair

• Tier 2
Wouldn't such technology be kind of expensive? (Spoilers)
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
I mean, hiring the agency and have them play around with your mind, I would imagine that would cost quite a bit.

(Also, they have to explain how it works and everything at the beginning, if it was affordable t everyone, I'd assume it would be more common knowledge how the process works. I know it's mostly for introducing the concepts to the player, though.)

So this got me wondering ... it's either really cheap to hire the agency or we have a little problem in the story, because I wouldn't know how Johnny would've afforded it. We're being told about money problems and all the money he and River have would have had to either go into her medical treatment or into building the house. In the end, the house was built, so the money must be gone.

He's also not selling the house because in the end, it says he left the house to Lily and her children.

Maybe I didn't pay attention, but was it ever mentioned where he got the money to hire the agency from? (In case it was expensive, that is.)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Wouldn't such technology be kind of expensive? (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
I wondered about this myself at one point. I don't know the real answer, but I do have some ideas.

Sigmund is still young, probably less than ten years old, and its system is controversial to the public for many of the reasons you can imagine. If that's the case, it's possible that they aren't global yet, nor are they very high-demand. In fact, they probably haven't made much money at all. When you think about it, potential patients probably sign up decades before the technology becomes necessary, which would require a down payment. Down payments require trust in the product, and if the product is still young it doesn't have that trust--nor is it possible to give a good testimony, since every patient dies.

I think the technology is expensive, but they are running only a few offices in some smaller areas at the moment, giving "charity" contracts or cheaper prices, and probably going into serious debt. With time, the technology might become more trustworthy and spread, but not where we are in the timeline.

Johnny, being already very old and close to death, might have been a good candidate for a cheap or free contract, since Sigmund can announce the results sooner and possibly gain more credibility.

That's just one idea, though. :)

Alistair

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
Interesting thought, like handing out free demo versions to raise interest and acceptance for the product.

When you think about it, potential patients probably sign up decades before the technology becomes necessary

That I doubt, to be honest. This is not something you think about before it arises. Having your memories altered is something drastic and people wouldn't feel such a desperate desire to achieve something they missed before they feel or realize it's all going to be over soon.

I mean, it's like a nursing or retirement home, only very few people make preparations for such circumstances in advance, while they still can live alone.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
I mean, it's like a nursing or retirement home, only very few people make preparations for such circumstances in advance, while they still can live alone.

But when people reach the age that they need to reach a nursing home, they probably still have a couple of decades in them. I don't mean that people fifty and below are signing up and dying at seventy. I mean people seventy and up are probably dying at ninety. But that's still a good twenty years in either scenario. An entire generation reaches adulthood before the patients cash in on their contracts!

Terminal patients, however, are probably the most common (I would think), so it probably is only a couple of years between signing and getting the service. *Shrugs*

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
Maybe it came as some sort of weird bonus with his health insurance?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
Or it might be a state run agency which is using a technology that was acquired  from different research  which failed but produced this technology and this way is to partially refund money putted into the project.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
I know this is a million years old, but I don't mind! I like old stuff.
It seems that Johnny might have actually had a considerable amount of money after building the house. It was probably the money that would have been used for their life together at the house had River not gotten ill. The problem they had with the treatment was most likely because it was extremely hard to treat and very expensive. I mean, he had enough money to pay Lily for housekeeping. In addition, Johnny died only two years after River from some sort of disease himself: perhaps instead of paying for a procedure to prolong his life, since a life without River wasn't worth living to him, he decided to have his wish fulfilled instead. He probably had this money from retirement for both him and River.
Concerning the age of Sigmund Corp, we now know that many of its agents are 50 years or older (guess from appearance) and have apparently worked there for most of their professional careers. Eva and Neil have also worked there for years, but they are much less experienced than Willis and Taima, so the company is probably at least 30-40 years old to account for that. It seems that before this, even older people were working there, but when they died new agents like Eva, Neil, Logan, and Roxanne were hired to replace them. As for how well-known it is, the agents seem to be rather busy and can't get very reliable off-time because it's very likely that they will be called. This suggests that there is considerable demand for their service. They even have a close competitor, Hermann Corp! Plus if people are protesting it, they must see it as a real threat to their lifestyle and society. Lastly, the wealth of the company: when Eva remarks that John's house is nice (basically), Neil says that he could do better. He also says in the first minisode that he is glad he makes a lot of dough and can basically do whatever the heck he wants with it. This means the company is probably considerably rich. The agents are not even heavily involved in the design and engineering of the machine - they're almost like grunts who have to go out and do the "dirty work"; even that is a difficult job that charges a lot of money. Also, every agent wears a different style of coat, from traditional ankle-length to poncho style to modern jackets. How much does it cost to hire a designer and have uniforms custom made for each person? Most likely a lot. Plus the company car they have closes its own doors and shuts off its headlights when locked...
Anyway, just adding on in case anyone is still looking at this. See ya round!

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
The banter one was older :P

They even have a close competitor, Hermann Corp!
Wasn't it called something else? It's been a while since I last played the minisodes :deepstuff:

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
The banter one was older :P

They even have a close competitor, Hermann Corp!
Wasn't it called something else? It's been a while since I last played the minisodes :deepstuff:
Yeah I know  :P I'm such a dinosaur.
As for the company thing... Uh oh, now I'm not too sure myself! But I think it was Hermann. Maybe. Possibly.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »
As for the company thing... Uh oh, now I'm not too sure myself! But I think it was Hermann. Maybe. Possibly.
Oh no, I making us doubt ourselves O_O xD

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
 ??? Ahhhhhhhhh noooooo ???