Poll

Which do you prefer, as a user and as an artist?

Media Gallery
Fan Works / Fan Submissions boards
Other (must explain)

Author Topic: [Please vote] Media Gallery vs Forum Fan Works board  (Read 12632 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
[Please vote] Media Gallery vs Forum Fan Works board
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
Guys, this is a very important request I'd like to make of you.

With the new site, there'll be a new media section with a more dynamic gallery that permits commenting. Now, the thing is, we also have the forums' media gallery, which is more powerful and has more features, and then there are the "Fan Works" and "Fan Submissions" boards (which will probably be merged into one sometime soon).

The question is, as a user who likes to browse fan art, as well as one who likes to submit them, which do you like the most? Which experience is more enjoyable, easier, friendlier for you?

This question is more directed at users who have experience with BOTH systems, and therefore not only have submitted fan art, but also enjoy viewing other members' works.

Apart from simply voting, please also comment on why you voted the way you did. Depending on this information, Kan and I will decide what to do. There are two options: remove the media gallery, or close the "Fan Works" and "Fan Submissions" boards.

My opinion? I'd like to keep the gallery and close the boards, because I find that fan works are more fit to be in a gallery than in individual forum threads, which are harder to browse, harder to notice. I like how the media gallery invites viewers to look at the fan works through thumbnails, and browsing from one work to the next is also a breeze (only a click away). There are other reasons, too, like better organization, useful metadata, integration with different types of media, as well as YouTube and other external sources, none of which can be easily achieved with mere forum boards and threads. Now, it's you guys who give the final word.

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:35:39 PM by Arwym (آرویم) »

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: [Please vote] Media Gallery vs Forum Fan Works board
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »
The one positive aspect of the Fan Works boards that keeps me from voting 100 percent Gallery is the input for unfinished fanart. If I'm drawing Reivier and want input, but don't think it's completely finished yet, threads allow for quick conversing and updating, as well as side-by-side comparison.

That aside, I find the gallery can be really nice, so I'll vote for it.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks for voting.  :)  How about putting a "WIPs" (Works in Progress) sub-album in the media gallery for such cases? I think that's a good point you make. I myself am working on some 3D renders of FBG characters (mainly Quintessence and The Mirror Lied), and would prefer to have some feedback as I work on them.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
I can't be certain that'll work as well as the threads, but it's definitely a must if the Gallery ends up being the dominant idea. There's kind of a drawback in that I don't feel as though the commenting capabilities in the Gallery are as fluid or intuitive as the commenting capabilities of a thread--nor does the ability to edit posts come easy, which would be somewhat essential in a WIP situation.

If you could make the WIP sub-album entries function more closely to a normal thread, I think it would catch on better.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
Sure! I will see what can be done about that. And if not much can be improved, perhaps WIPs could still be posted in the forums, under the general art sections, or we can leave one fan submissions board open for special cases (although it would probably be better in the general art board, I believe).

Again, thank you for your feedback.  :)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:05:53 AM »
Well I didn't even know there was a gallery till now, so I guess I'm not the prime opinion you're looking for, but maybe if you do get rid or the forum part, do something to make the media gallery stand out more, like maybe even just have what used to be the fanworks subforum link link to the gallery for a bit or something, or even just a sticky in the game discussion.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
Thoughts:
-I like the way threads work for commenting way better. This may just be me, but in the gallery, I feel like I should comment only about the pic, and the threads just seem to... encourage more conversation.
-The gallery is kind of unnoticeable if you're not paying attention :P
-The gallery sometimes tells me pictures are new when there's nothing new about them. I don't know why.
-The gallery makes it easier to preview the picture and to navigate.

I'm... going to say gallery, I guess, but with some tweaks!

barren1

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »
As a user who solely uses the images section as a viewer, not a submitter, I prefer the gallery for its ease in allowing viewing compared to the forums I attempted to navigate previously.
Vikon. That is all.

8)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
So, I guess it's settled. Gallery, it is, but with some tweaks. I will look into how to implement such tweaks, and then I'll talk to Kan about the change.

In the meantime, note that the main site will have its own separate media section. A bit redundant? Perhaps, but it's more aimed at casual visitors than community members. The forums' media gallery is more aimed at us here who like to share within our own community.

Now, it may be a good idea to ask fanart submitters whether they want their works to be featured on the main site as well. It's a good to ask for permission first, I suppose.

Thank you for your feedback, and keep it coming!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:20:13 PM by Arwym »

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
An extra note for gallery users: commenting is actually as feature-filled as the regular posting system. You can use all the BBcode that is available in the forums. It is just that you have to go into "advanced" mode. Next time you comment in the gallery, take a close look at the text that appears right above the text box where you are supposed to enter your message. It'll take you to the more familiar post editor. :)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
Is there a way for someone to, while they're uploading to the gallery, choose whether or not they want their image on the main page, and then for it to be automatically update on the site? I'm not sure how the current/previous main-site gallery is... if it's not automatically update (I don't think it is) this would be a bit more work in the short term, but save a lot of time long-term.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
Right now, the forums' media gallery and the site's media gallery are not connected in any way. I could look in the future into implementing a way for you guys to submit directly to the main site, but right now it's not possible. SMF and WordPress aren't integrated. There's always a solution, though.  ;)  It's just gonna take me some time, because I've never tried it. But, sure, I'll take note.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
Just a little note for myself: get back to this, soon. It's been long overdue.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
I put down my vote. Honestly the media gallery is fine and all and I agree that it's harder to browse through threads but I think I'd prefer the fan works board cos then you can put all your pictures in one post and have an on-going project that isn't ready for the gallery. Imo fanart/fanfiction has to be good enough to be put into the gallery.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »
What do you guys think about making the fanart section being repurposed for "Fanart Projects"/"WIP Threads"?

Then, only finished/polished works can be submitted to the gallery.