Author Topic: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2  (Read 114560 times)

speedofthepuma

• Tier 2
Re: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
Not really sure what this thread is likely to achieve, with the best will in the world I really hope the majority of fan requests are ignored and you do whatever the hell you thing is best, there is a massive danger in attempting to please a vocal minority of fans.

Having said that, here's my contribution.

Don't change the bickering or 4th wall breaking antics of the doctors; it is a necessary counterfoil to the melodrama and people who feel it clashed will only miss it when its gone.

I found the game mechanics also a vital cog of the work, without them the player isn't drawn in enough and there is a danger of breaking the immersion by wondering whether it's a game or a film, although would say the endless corridor scene was a bit broken, I think there was another subtle joke in there, but it backfired slightly.

I presumed personally that the final scene with Neil may be a hint at this being a memory within a memory, and there may be a rather involved and clever over-arching story that is already in the author's mind, which is excellent. Somebody earlier made a good point along the lines that narrative links may have to be carefully considered within the timeline, or very obviously signposted, because of the amount of time it takes to play a game. It is just that much harder to remember a phrase from the start after 4 hours as opposed to the shorter time of a film, or the ability to re-read with a book (actually that may be one advantage of replaying sections; I accidentally double clicked the mouse when John was approaching River in high-school and I'm still not entirely clear on exactly why he approached her because I zoomed through the text).

Very good stuff though and I would be very proud were I the creator, well done.

benjaminnushmutt

• Tier 1
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »
I found myself extremely uncomfortable with the prospect of actually rewriting someone's memories like this and what sort of philosophical and ethical ramifications that has. While I think the ending to the game started to address this, I think it'd be neat to see more depth toward this subject. They're helping the geezers die happy... but is it the morally right thing to do?

Andy

• Tier 1
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 02:40:30 AM »
The ending gave such conflicting emotions since John's new memory was so happy yet we, the players know it is not real and that River's intentions were never realized by John. It leaves an emotional gap for River as she is deceased without ever having John realized the truth + John dying without realizing what the rabbits all meant. The ending was fine the way it was since we were promised an ending with going to the moon.

An alternate ending could have possibly been having John's memory recover post beta-blockers and have the machine simulate John's life as an adult - realizing what the rabbits meant rather than alter it all the way from the beginning and having the whole ordeal never to happen (but breaking from the To the Moon goal and ultimately breaking the advertised concept of the game.)

1. I like the concept of having the questions in the beginning only to be answered at the end. But for those who might miss it, in the end to have the option to retell the story from the beginning to end without any input from the user for them to realize all of the answers to their questions.

Aile Lune

• 黒い猫
  • Team Français
  • Tier 4
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
Sorry, can’t get to express myself today, even in French. This might seem awkward.

I thought the 2nd episode could be about TWO patients. Both of them dying, of course, but still conscious. Those two patients would be very close (family, or something), and Eva and Neil would have to work on both at the same time, while making sure their memories are concording so that they could talk to each other later! That would be great, huh?

Oh, and I’d love to know about “Nora’s case, last year”, and/or Eva and Neil’s past :) The only thing I’d like to request (the previous things are just ideas) is that you keep the same contrast between sadness and laughter. As long as we’re with the two doctors, I guess that should be okay.

As for the ending of the game… After replaying it, I finally understood everything, which wasn’t the case earlier. ’Cause I tend to be dumb when it comes to understand stories, don’t know why. Anyway, I can’t see how you could have make it any different or any better. Maybe by implicating River a bit more? She’s not really the same in the new memories than in the reality, because of John’s opinions about her. That’s the only thing that disappointed me. It would also be interesting to talk more about the ethic of the job, and the reasons why Eva and Neil chose to be that kind of doctors.

mugenaw

• Tier 2
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
I can't agree more with the point that this game is of lacking interaction. Developers might add some options for players to choose from, which leads to different endings of the game.

Corneille2178

• Team Français
  • Tier 5
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Hi everyone !

I have only one wish on my list, but it's a major one :

What if there were serval alternate endings ? Not triggered by an obvious choice at the very end, but by several choices during the unfolding of the plot or simply the way you play, as it was the case in the second Silent Hill ?

The player's feelings and emotions would be even stronger, and I think Kan Guo is such a powerful story-teller he can think of several well-written and original endings !

And by the way, River's acting differently in Johnny's false memories are in fact what moved me the most : I realised he really loved her... but secretly wished her to be different, acting more "grown-up" and being able to evolve, and he believed she could while she didn't. So I personally don't regret this.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
I agree that multiple endings are nice sometimes, but in a series designed specifically for its stories, multiple endings go a little against the grain. Note that books are designed for their stories--as are movies--and changing the end turns them into choose-your-own-adventure things--which are fun, but less impacting.

I do agree that Kan is a great enough storyteller that he could pull off multiple endings, but I don't think it would be good to have them like Silent Hill.

Instead, think of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. They had a main ending on the initial playthrough that was intentional and unavoidable. Then, in subsequent playthroughs, the player got to determine a different ending with their actions. If the series ever has multiple endings, they should be like that, so that there's no doubt about the true story and post-play endings can still act as rewards or expansions on ideas.

Phoebe

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
Alternate endings are nuisances unless they are executed properly. It isn't wise to plan for another ending unless you're entirely certain that there is more than one way to draw the game to a close -- don't forget that each conclusion needs to be realistic.

For example, with To the Moon, I can't imagine any other ending aside from Rosalene's plan failing. An ending with John recalling his childhood memories is preposterous -- almost an offense to bring up -- because the effects of beta blockers cannot be circumvented.

I do agree that alternate endings could add to the supposedly much-needed interaction to the games, though (assuming that every other game in the series will be as story-oriented as the first). Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:07:58 PM by Phoebe »

troyamonga

• Tier 2
  • Anyone else here ever wanted a personal AI?
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:32 AM »
So, I just finished To the Moon, and Neil's painkiller thing gave me an idea.
So, the story starts a few decades after the end of TTM. Two Sigmund doctors are assigned a patient, who just so happens to be Neil, dying from years of drug abuse. The trip down memory lane could include things like a falling out with Dr. Rosalyn, or Neil stargazing with his grandfather.
Sure, you beat me in football. But can you beat me in...Mario Kart?

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
So, the story starts a few decades after the end of TTM. Two Sigmund doctors are assigned a patient, who just so happens to be Neil, dying from years of drug abuse. The trip down memory lane could include things like a falling out with Dr. Rosalyn, or Neil stargazing with his grandfather.
It could work but why would Neil want to change his memories..?
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »

Simple. He wants to win the war on sleep. He feels like he's wasted 20-30% of his life sleeping and regrets that some of his biggest opportunities in life were foiled by fatigue or oversleeping.

As Rosalene, you go back into the memories of Neil's childhood and make his grandfather take him stargazing. This introduces Neil to his coffee addiction, which reduces the time he spends sleeping to 10%.

To the Moon would then be a recollection of a case that Neil had once failed with another agent because he was too sleepy, but succeeded in this life with Rosalene because caffeine has granted him the ability to stay vigilant on the job. However, you discover that the "painkillers" in the car were actually caffeine pills. Rosalene then monitors his life moment by moment to ensure that the caffeine addiction doesn't destroy him. Which it does. In episode 2: To the Starbucks.

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
OR maybe he never got the chance to meet his greatest idol, Vikon Marc  ;)
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

troyamonga

• Tier 2
  • Anyone else here ever wanted a personal AI?
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

Simple. He wants to win the war on sleep. He feels like he's wasted 20-30% of his life sleeping and regrets that some of his biggest opportunities in life were foiled by fatigue or oversleeping.

As Rosalene, you go back into the memories of Neil's childhood and make his grandfather take him stargazing. This introduces Neil to his coffee addiction, which reduces the time he spends sleeping to 10%.

To the Moon would then be a recollection of a case that Neil had once failed with another agent because he was too sleepy, but succeeded in this life with Rosalene because caffeine has granted him the ability to stay vigilant on the job. However, you discover that the "painkillers" in the car were actually caffeine pills. Rosalene then monitors his life moment by moment to ensure that the caffeine addiction doesn't destroy him. Which it does. In episode 2: To the Starbucks.

"Nods understandingly" Yes, yes. Your logic is flawless.
Sure, you beat me in football. But can you beat me in...Mario Kart?

Naserano

• Tier 1
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 06:00:39 AM »
I only registered just to write a similar topic  :reivsweat:

Anyway, Three things SHOULD NOT be changed in EP.2:

1- Story aspect. (Just let Kan do his work, I believe in fans word but in this case Kan is the only person who could write a better story than To the Moon)

2- Music style. (I swear I never loved a music came from a piano before To the Moon! Unbelievable feelings put into it, I wouldn't mind if EP.2 has the same soundtracks from EP.1)

3- The Doctors. (srsly guys, didn't you get the lesson! I can imagine the scenario about the new doctors "The new doctors are boring, bring the old ones back.")

I thought the 2nd episode could be about TWO patients. Both of them dying, of course, but still conscious. Those two patients would be very close (family, or something), and Eva and Neil would have to work on both at the same time, while making sure their memories are concording so that they could talk to each other later! That would be great, huh?

TOTALLY AGREE! Take note Reives (;

BTW Kan, add some investigations for the gameplay.

Corneille2178

• Team Français
  • Tier 5
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:56 AM »
I know I already contributed to this topic, but I found this message and I think it is the best idea someone could have had :

Lastly, some manner of... game-like progression would be useful. To the Moon had very little optional content- mainly in the form of flavor text, easter eggs, or branching paths. Perhaps instead of having exactly five mementos and five units of shield durability per memory, you could have, like, six or seven, with some that are hidden but that provide further context for the events of the story- but aren't strictly necessary to proceed. Maybe have collecting extra mementos (or uh, whatever they're called, the little colored orbs that break the memento shield) or perfect-solving the tile flip puzzles would let you unlock further notes or items or conversations or memories or... you know, something for the player to "do" while experiencing the story. While said experience should always be the focus of the game, and you wouldn't want to distract the player, there are people who just won't have the attention span for a totally linear world.

I think if something may be improved, it is this. I totally disagree with contributors who want a more conventional and basic RPG story (less things happening in memories, no elements in the beginning that can only be understood at the end, linear with no puzzles, less complexity, less ambiguous ending...).