Author Topic: Troubleshooting FAQ  (Read 69266 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Troubleshooting FAQ
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
Crash with the error message "RGSS player stopped working."
One common issue can be solved by changing the DEP settings (see 2nd post -- #5).

*See 2nd post for a list of common troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:08:32 PM by Reives »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Troubleshooting FAQ
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
Some simple issues can be resolved by restarting your computer after downloading the game. This may fix the "SCRIPT HANGING" error.

If that doesn't work, I've quoted the information from Amaranth Games (as was linked by Reives) so there isn't as much internet navigation. Numbers 5 (change your DEP settings) and 7 (update your Codecs) seem to be especially helpful.

1. Try These Threads First:

If you are having a problem running an Amaranth Games title the two threads below should be your first stops -

Technical Issues - FAQ:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/new ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=7238

Game Crashes - FAQ:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/new ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=3449

If the two threads above failed to answer your question or ameliorate your problem then please proceed below.

2. Update Your Microsoft Windows:

Make sure all the latest updates are installed for your version of Microsoft Windows. You can check whether you have all the latest updates here:

http://www.windowsupdate.com

If your version of Microsoft Windows is not up to date, install the updates that are listed and attempt to play the game again.

3. Update Your Drivers:

Make sure your computer system is running all the latest drivers, particularly for your Video and Audio components. You can usually locate updates easily for your computer by visiting the website of your computer manufacturer. Most of the time driver updates are listed under "Support", "Drivers", "Updates", or "Downloads".

4. Update Your DirectX:

DirectX is necessary for Amaranth Games titles to run on your computer. If you're running an older version of DirectX it may be the source of your problem. You can update your DirectX installation by downloading the file located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/de ... 71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

and running it from the location you downloaded it to. This file will scan your computer and download any updates for DirectX from Microsoft that are needed to bring your system up to date.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7: You will need to right click the file once downloaded and select "Run As Administrator" from the list that appears. Your screen will dim slightly and a box will pop up that is asking a question. You must answer "YES" otherwise your system will not be updated.

5. Change your DEP settings:

This link from Microsoft will tell you how to change your DEP settings:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/li ... x#XSLTsection124121120120

It's the same general procedure for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The file you want to make the exception for is the main EXE file for the Amaranth Games title you are trying to play. An example of this, using the title Aveyond: Lord of Twilight, would be:

Aveyond - Lord of Twilight.exe

This main EXE is most likely located in the default installation directory. This is usually a subfolder of the Program Files directory which can typically be found in the root of your primary hard drive, usually represented in "My Computer" as C:

Continuing with the example above, the default installation directory for Aveyond: Lord of Twilight would be:

C:\Program Files\Aveyond - Lord of Twilight

If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, the default installation path will be different. For a 64-bit version of Windows the default installation directory for Aveyond: Lord of Twilight would instead be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Aveyond - Lord of Twilight

The examples provided above are valid for the English version of Windows only.

If you are not running an administrator account on your computer this will also not work as you will have insufficient privileges to make changes to the DEP subsystem.

6. Put DirectX Into Compatibility Mode:

The method below is not valid for Windows Vista nor Windows 7.

Go to RUN, type DXDIAG and hit enter. A box might pop up that asks for a yes or no answer, hit YES.

Once the program loads you should be looking at a box that has the title "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Click the SOUND tab (it should be the 4th tab over from the left).

Slightly past the middle of the box, on the left hand side there should be a slider that has text on the left that reads "Hardware Sound Acceleration level". Drag the slider all the way to the left until the text over the slider says "No Acceleration".

Once you have done this hit the EXIT button in the lower right hand corner of the box.

7. Update Your Codecs:

Download the file at this location:

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/dl/XP-Codec-Pack-2.5.0.exe

It has XP in its name, but it's completely compatible with Vista and Windows 7.

This will update the codecs in your system which DirectX needs to run Amaranth Games titles.

Caution: Installing a codec pack can be very risky. It could go just fine. However, it could also make your computer completely mute, disabling your ability to playback any sound, or it could possibly (although highly unlikely) render your Windows completely inoperable. Proceed at your own risk.

Cellulose

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
DEP exclusions did it for me.  This is a common problem with certain types of DRM, unfortunately.  :\

Brilliant game.  <3

Apofis

• Tier 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Nothing has worked for me. I keep getting the error:

Script 'start game' line 17: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'rstrip' for nil:NilClass

That happens while the game is loading.

This is happening with the demo, and I can't buy it if I won't be able to play it.

My system is up to date and already tried the solutions posted here.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
I 'm curious; Has anyone who's experienced these issues noticed if the demo version is in some crazy way more likely to present these problems? From the posts I've read, I get the impression that there are less issues once the game's been purchased, but I see no reason why that would happen.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
Me neither, but I suppose it's possible since it skips the launching-from-DRM-window part. Hm, if you'd like, Apof, I could get you a key to try the unlocked version first.

Apofis

• Tier 1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
Thanks Reives, but I have another computer, let me try there with the demo again.

gtfobreekachu

• Tier 1
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »
Hi,
I tried using the Technical Issues FAQ's and it say's the link is not found.
To The Moon is not working on my steam and i can't seem to get it to work.
was told to come here and use the links and still nothing.
need help please. :(

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Sure. :seraismile: Can you describe the problem in detail for us? That'll help a lot with trying to solve it.

Spoiler: show

~

gtfobreekachu

• Tier 1
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:51 AM »
Sure. :seraismile: Can you describe the problem in detail for us? That'll help a lot with trying to solve it.
Not sure if this was towards me or not... but anyway. haha.
when i go to open/play 'to the moon' it says that the gave is not available and i'm not sure if it's because it's not available in my country or if it's a steam error...
i've uninstalled it twice, as well as restarting my computer twice.
before it was on steam, i had gotten the demo, but i have completely uninstalled that, could that maybe have something to do with it... or is it just steam.  :(

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 04:43:11 AM »
Hmm, that's bizarre. :whaaa?:

Make sure the game's still in your Steam directory (under program files).  As long as it's there, Steam should be able to open it.

Spoiler: show

~

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
What does the message say? Does it say This game is currently unavailable. Please try again another time. ? if so that's a steam issue I believe. I also don't have a copy of the game on steam yet so I can't check this but does it come with a code? because if it does you might be able to get the demo version and put that code into that version and play.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »
A lot of problems can be solved by using the alternative build (available on Steam in the library -> properties -> Betas; you may have to activate Steam Betas in your steam settings)
The alternative build is using MKXP: https://github.com/Ancurio/mkxp

Black screen when starting the game on a windows PC

Some people reported that turning off DSR in the graphic drivers control settings solved this problem

Game crashes at launch with an error like Script ‘ start game’ line 72:Errno::EEXIST occurred.
File exists-C:\User\[non-acii username]\AppData\Roaming\To the moon

One possible reason is It's due to the files trying to load from a non-ASCII filepath caused by the windows username. A solution that'd work for sure would be to play it from a temporary windows account (even the guest account) with name consisting of alphabets and numbers.

Or you could try this reg file (Win7, might still work Win10): www.freebirdgames.com/files/languagefix_win7.zip

How do I change the language?
Right click the game in the Steam library -> Properties -> Language tab

If you are on Mac try fn-F7, OS X uses F7 as one of the media control keys by default with Apple keyboards.
(Yes, default settings on Mac require you to press fn with the function keys to use them as standard function keys unlike what is the case on Windows, but you can change that setting in System Preferences->Keyboard).

My character always moves on his own
Controllers or special controller drivers like Vjoy may be cause of that proble, you can try to plug in/out a controller.
We also had some people reporting that an USB cam was responsible for the wrong button inputs.

How do I access the miniepisodes on Steam?
1. Right click To the Moon in your Steam Library.
2. Choose "Properties".
3. "Local files" tab.
4. "Browse local files".

Or just go to "X:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\To the Moon".

I cannot download the first miniepisode on Steam, there is no download button for it!

Try using steam://install/338250 from Windows’ Run command [Windows key+R]

No music?

It might be that you have turned down the volume for some other rpg maker game in the past.
Try pressing F1.

Game not starting on windows 8?

Quote from: spacedog (Steam)
I hit this too. Turns out this app holds the distinction of being the first program I've ever had to opt out of DEP.

First you'll need to get the full path to the game exe. Right click on the game in your library, select Properties, then go to the Local Files tab and click on Browse Local Files. That will open an explorer window where the game files live, which you'll need for the next steps:

1) Go to Control Panel -> System
2) Click on Advanced System Settings (on the left)
3) Click the Settings button under the Performance section
4) Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab
5) Click the Add button
6) Navigate to "To the Moon.exe" and select it
7) You should see "RGSS Player" in the list with a check mark next to it
8) Click OK and now the game should launch

The steam overlay doesn't work! (on Window systems)

Quote from: Ancu
Just to clarify: Screenshots, and all other features that are part of the Steam overlay for that matter, work just fine on Linux and OSX.

Only on the Windows version they're not supported because it runs on an engine that's over 10 years old and doesn't render via a Direct3D variant. It's not that games really have to be made or changed for Steam, but 99% of WIndows games do use either OpenGL or Direct3D (or Mantle or Vulkan), and so that's what the Steam overlay expects/requires to integrate with the game.

It's unfortunately not something we have any power over, due to the proprietary and closed-source nature of the original RPG Maker engine, which makes it impossible to (practically and legally) change anything in it.

You can still take screenshots by pressing "Print", open a graphic editing program like paint and use insert.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:12:43 PM by Thunderbird »
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Kerlc

• Tier 1
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 02:24:17 AM »
First off, hello.

Second off, i have this strange glitch right at the start of the game. When the two scientists get out of the car, and go towards the house (the right arrow), the game freezes. The music is still playing, but the game isn't responding.

Help?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:08:54 AM »
Trying to run To the Moon on Linux?

Try: http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=4343.0
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)