Author Topic: Fleuret Blanc [The Testing Grounds]  (Read 65876 times)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Fleuret Blanc
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
I'll be sure to play this once you're done. ;D Looks really interesting! :D

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »
Thank you very much, Rax! Now I'll have to work extra hard so I don't disappoint you. :)

Figured I'd drop some screen shots.
I was going to give them all captions, but a picture's worth a thousand words, right? Enjoy.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »
Luna - "HAHA, The fun has been DOUBLED!"

Avarlie

• Tier 6
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Oh new screenies!...ha ha giant floating heads :p. Hey what engine are you using? ...Scavenger hunt looks interesting...the art style is really charming...I can't really fault what you've done so far. Keep it up!

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
Is the head underneath Kant the one Reives voices? He kind of looks like Reives :P

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
Oh new screenies!...ha ha giant floating heads :p. Hey what engine are you using? ...Scavenger hunt looks interesting...the art style is really charming...I can't really fault what you've done so far. Keep it up!

Charming!? That's nice of you. XD The engine is your classic RMXP, just not used the traditional way.

Is the head underneath Kant the one Reives voices? He kind of looks like Reives :P

Nonsense! Kant is Indonesian! ... but yes, it's Reives' voice. :P He shares a few small traits with the Kan we know and love, but don't get confused; Kant is an awkward caricature of a completely different type of person than Kan.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
I think it's mostly the smile :P He's rocking the same evil grin Kan does.

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »
Charming!? That's nice of you. XD The engine is your classic RMXP, just not used the traditional way.

Yeah it doesn't look like RMXP except for the dialogue box in the second screenie.

So then does Roland=Merlandese?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
That dialogue box just looks like a well-done custom one. Not too hard.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
I was thinking about redoing the custom dialogue box in a manner that looked slightly less RPG Maker-y. The color scheme of it will probably stay the same, though.

So then does Roland=Merlandese?

There are quite a few similarities that are hard to dismiss (mostly the fact that he bikes and has a big chin), but I like to think I'm not as goofy looking as Roland. :p

A lot of the characters are amalgamations of of real people I've met from all over. Sometimes they have a primary character base, such as the Merlandese-to-Roland base, but most of the idiosyncrasies from there are derived from multiple sources. They also each have a prominent layer based on their mentality towards their Prized Possession. In the end, their relationship to their Prized Possession is what I used to steer their personalities.

Long story short, I do the voices for Roland. But I also do the voices for a muscle-bound dark-skinned guy wearing a pink mask, so take from it what you will.

Since I'm posting, I might as well say that I added a few sentences to the first page, as well as those screen shots. I realized that I premised my plot without ever introducing a plot, which is a pretty silly mistake to make. People were probably reading the intro and thinking "what the heck is this garbage even about?"

It's setup with one overarching mystery and twelve optional underlying mysteries that have a noticeable effect on the ending sequence (though they don't change the overarching mystery). Interactions are intended to collect information and clues (known as Points of Interest) in an attempt to draw evidenced conclusions.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:19:16 PM by Merlandese »

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
I don't think you need to change the text-box. It looks pretty good. I can tell that you used RPG Maker, but that's not a bad thing. It's totally custom. It's not "LOOK AT ME I'M A N00B I USE RPG MAKER RTP!" or anything. No, it's completely custom. What would you do, change the shape of it?

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »
I don't think you need to change the text-box. It looks pretty good. I can tell that you used RPG Maker, but that's not a bad thing. It's totally custom. It's not "LOOK AT ME I'M A N00B I USE RPG MAKER RTP!" or anything. No, it's completely custom. What would you do, change the shape of it?

It's not on the top of my to-do list, so I haven't given it too much thought. In my second-to-last screenshot you can see a dialogue image I use for the electronic journal (has been altered since that image, but it looks roughly the same). I was thinking about making the RMXP text boxes look similar to the custom image text boxes, even though they get used in different ways. We'll see.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
I know I said this wasn't very high on my priorities, but with so much schoolwork I can only find time for the little things, so I altered the text box a bit.

(@Vasha: You think one text box is preferable over the other?)

Here's some more detail about the screenshot. This is what it looks like when walking around.

There's a calendar on top that tells the day. The circle image in the top left corner is different depending on if it's morning, noon, or night (the music is different as well). There's a meter for energy that fills when eating/sleeping/drinking/showering but lowers after bouts. If energy is too low, the judges will notice and won't allow you to bout.

On the bottom left is Free Time. It's not easy to see in this shot, but when all three squares are yellow then no optional events are available until time progresses. The circular cursor in the center of the screen is what you control to inspect the château. When you have your Prized Possession it is shown in the cursor, but if you lose it both your cursor changes and the calendar dims and grays.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »
I think that if you're going for less RMXP-like, then you failed. This one doesn't look bad, but it's more obviously RMXP than the fadey one.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
The fade-y one in front of the thumb? That's not an RMXP text box, that's just an image. This text box is like a mix between that fade-y image and the text box I had before. :p

This isn't too different than what it was except that I made the border thinner and the background more aesthetically similar to the fade-y image.