Author Topic: Discussion of Theories/Thoughts about the Story [Spoilers]  (Read 51124 times)

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Discussion of Theories/Thoughts about the Story [Spoilers]
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
He did kind of use it for some lighting practice as as a side-project. But it'll be too far fetched to think that TML was completely baseless. I find it a very engaging abstract piece actually.

Eve J

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I, um... I imagined a World War. And Leah was aiding the enemy. I mean, come on guys, the girl had no face! She was dealing with some heavy stuff, it seemed to me. It'll take too long for me to point out every detail that made me think this way, but if you wish to see it through my eyes, just imagine that the house...isn't really just a house. Leah isn't really just a child. And Birdy...well, see, I think Birdy is tricking her into thinking he's "just a bird", which could mean, "the good guy". And he's telling Leah to do all these things because maybe he can't do it himself. Birdy is the mind behind it all but she's doing everything. Did you notice how the countries on the map gradually disappear? And the strange odour coming from the globe... I think something is not right in the world. And when Leah waters the plant, she's building Birdy's power. And the emails... someone is trying to get through to her. Trying to tell her that Birdy isn't really who he says he is. And at the end, when Leah kills off the rest of the bugs, she's getting rid of all the others who are fighting back, and she finally makes use of everything she's done to get to the top. But when she's there, and Birdy is flying around with her, showing her everything she's done so she can see it from above, she realizes what she's done. Every bad thing she has done. So she listens to the emails. She takes out her gun and kills herself for the good of the remaining world. :pewpewpew: And then you see that Birdy is all alone without his precious Leah. Without his handy helper, he's nothing. His power flickers and dies, and Birdy is gone.

At the start, it says something like, "Birdy landed on water today. He flew away. Come here, Birdy." I think that's coming from the people of the world, taunting him for being so cowardly and hiding behind a child. (I think we see her as a child because you know how they say if a child is just really terrible, it all comes down to the parents because it's their job to teach them what's good and bad and all that? I think this is something like that.) And at the end they say,

"What are you waiting for, Birdy?" I think that's the good people in the world again, having one last go at Birdy. A statement that the evil won't be respected.

This is the story I imagined when I played this. To those of you saying, "This story has no meaning, it's all just a bunch of stuff jumbled together", well, I think it will mean something to you if you let it. Play it again, view it from a certain angle. One that you can work on as much as possible. I like the Mirror Lied. :)

Gogobrasil8

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
Hmmm. This is certainly scary. My theory was that her parents went out, then somebody wanted to do something bad to her. The bad person was hidden in the house, but that person couldnt encounter the little girl or the little girl couldnt encounter that person. So, the birdie tried to help her out of the house, then that bad person emailed her to persuade that the birdie was bad. But, anyways she wanted to escape there, so she done everything that she could. At the end she escaped, and then, killed herself. My theory is very basic, and that i remember, the only gap its the before story, not that matters to the theory. This theory is a game-view, you interpret it as a "escaping" game. But this theory, for me, its much basic for such a strange game.

P.S. The fact that she dont have a face might be important. I will try to do another theory, if i find out something i post.
Lunair >> all

To the Moon - Finished
Do you remember my lullaby? - Finished
The Mirror Lied - Finished
Quintessence - Finished (Sorta, of course.)
A Bird`s Story - Finished

:plat:<- I love This Smiley

Twitter: @gogobrasil8_br

sakura_holic

• Tier 1
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
It's interesting to see that there are so many ways to look at this game. For me it was definitely a horror game. I read about a novel once about a teenage with the power to change the world with his words. He did something really terrible and almost everyone on earth died. Then he talked himself into a imagined world where everything was all right. but the desk in his room keeps giving off rotten smells and there's a lot of curves on them. That's his only connection to the real world.

I don't know why I remembered this story, but at first my impression was the girl made some terrible mistake and she kind of built a mental place to hide from its consequences. She knows what she did and what she is doing but can't stop herself. When things get out of hands she sleeps them off. But she can't hide forever and the mental peace she built for herself is gradually broken. Finally she has to face the fact and makes her own choice. So she kills herself. But water's poured and the birdie flew on. Then bang. No more of the world.

Don't know why I never trusted birdie. Maybe it's because the title is called "the mirror lied" so I took for granted that the telephone was lying. Or the feeling of getting shut in a house and listening to orders from a telephone doesn't feel right. But after the fire things changed most. I followed its instructions but things went worse. Things kept getting worse and worse. I wanted a different voice to help me out of this loneliness, in this creepy place with  a creepy "birdie". The mails sounded friendly, as if written by co-workers, but the telephone calls sounded like some mysterious middle-aged man who had some creepy thoughts for the girl.

Now I see there are lots of explanations for this game and I think maybe what I thought of the game reflects myself. Now I'd rather believe the story in which birdie took the girl to France.

Vipoke

• Tier 2
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
What about the numbers?

"61|5491"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:38:46 PM by Vipoke »

Eve J

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2013, 02:04:44 AM »
What about the numbers?

"61|5491"

OH MY GOD. That relates to the World War story I saw in the game. Read it backwards, and it's

1945|16

There was indeed a World War going on in 1945.

Jan 16th - Scottish 52nd land division/1st Commando brigade-assault at Heinsberg
Jan 16th - US 1st & 3rd army meet at Houffalise
Feb 16th - US forces land on Corregidor, complete conquest on March 3
Feb 16th - Venezuela declares war on nazi-Germany
Mar 16th - Allies secure Iwo Jima
Mar 16th - Würzburg, Germany is 90% destroyed, with 5,000 dead, in only 20 minutes by British bombers.
Apr 16th - German troops in Groningen surrender
Apr 16th - Red Army begins Battle of Berlin
Apr 16th - US troops enter Nuremberg, Germany, during WW II
Apr 16th - US troops land on He Shima Okinawa
May 16th - Violent battles around Sugar Loaf/Half Moon Okinawa
Jul 16th - Cruiser Indianapolis leaves SF with atom bomb
Aug 16th - Puyi, the last Chinese emperor and ruler of Manchukuo, was captured by Soviet troops.

(information taken from http://www.historyorb.com/events/date/1945)

I'm finding the bombing on March 16 very interesting...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M A MANIAC!!! :pewpewpew:

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »
I see that Venezuela wasted no time in declaring war on Nazi-Germany. I didn't realise it was possible to be later than the Americans to a war.

PoshSpock

• Tier 1
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
 Okay so I've read a lot of the recent and the more older stuff here and decided to play the game one more time since the thought of looking at EVERYTHING in order to build my own opinion, didn't let go of me...
I'd like to mention a lot of stuff I noticed without really being able to connect it too.
I'm sorry if there are any serious mistakes making this text difficult to read and understand, since I'm from Germany and my English isn't perfect... :-[ blah blah this stuff isn't new to most of you....

Okay. So.
First thing I noticed after going through the posts was that one or two persons mentioned the title. "The Mirror Lied".. Someone wrote that maybe the German word "Lied" was ment, as that means "song" cause the music in this game seemed to be very important (Unfortunately I had to play it without sound cause my computer is a thick-skulled turnip so I can't relate to that...) But I've listened to the audio track and I, personally, don't think it's of any more use than to just build up kind of a... tense, maybe even creepy atmosphere~ (But as always, concerning this difficult game, that may be wrong! The audio track could contain the whole answer to that game without anyone of us noticing so yeah...)
Assuming that it isn't some kind of German hint, what does "Mirror" mean?
The first random things came popping up in my mind about Leah standing in front of a mirror.. Seeing something, a reality, that isn't true. A lot of people have mentioned the possibility of this house, the whole scenario just being some kind of imagined world.
It may also be that she saw something in a mirror, of which she thought it to be true and upon which she acted... Which could explain her feelings towards the birdie, which she obviously likes and wants to kinda be with... Although the birdie was "bad".
But I don't have anything to prove that stuff so... see it as throwing around wild speculations~

I've three theories...

1. This whole story has something to do with the bombing of Würzburg, which happened in the last weeks of the Second World War (Which would support the many other theories relating to WW2)
Maybe this girl, Leah, was.. having dreams? or was lying in a coma? use your imagination  XD and... dreaming of a huge house (It was completely empty; no parents, no anything, the bread in the dining room was.. what was it? "hard from exposure"? or something - let's suppose it was abandoned although the beds downstairs were "still warm") We don't know anything about this house, maybe Leah didn't know either? Maybe it wasn't her house? She couldn't read the paperwork lying on the desk in the basement, she discribed the clothes in this sleeping room as "over-sized" so she probably didn't recognize them as the clothing of her parents or whoever...
That's pretty much it concerning this theory. i don't like it very much, it just.. came to me because of this date on the painting...

2. It has something to do with Trinity, the nuclear test in which the US Army dropped a nuclear bomb a couple of miles southeast of a city in New Mexico.
Same stuff as in my first theory, just the event is another.. These two events seemed the most probable to me. I've seen a post here in which a lot of possible events were lined up and Reives answered that this person "missed it by like one line" So I started research on what else happened on a 16th day of any month in the year 1945 and I found Trinity and the bombing of Würzburg, which sounded kind of likely to me... But well. There isn't more to that from my side.

3. My favorite theory is NOT connected with the date 16|1945 but maybe you could mix it up with one of the upper events? - birdie, obviously the bad one in this whole story could be associated with death. It is a thing, in this context an animal, which can spread/fly/etc. whereever it wants, pretty fast... and it destroys whole continents, as it is visible on the maps, which get emptier with time (war? nuclear bombs? please yourself, there are a lot of things that happened 16|1945) Leah, a little girl in a huge, empty, not too familiar or nice looking house, wanted to be with birdie. She liked birdie or at least didn't want it to die, as the person sending her emails, did. Maybe she just didn't understand what birdie did? Maybe she liked it?
This person didn't occur to me as a really bad person since the emails did not at all seem violent or dangerous to me. Strange - cause how wouldn't they be? - but not evil. The person tried to convince Leah to kill birdie but it also wanted her to reply so they could kill it together, he/she wanted to kind of protect her from birdie... At least that's what it seemed like to me.
But Leah didn't have any chance to reply to him/her since she gets the Access Card for the computer at the very end of the game, that's far too late since it's night by then. In the end Leah lifts her arms to be cathed by birdie, she welcomes it.... And still, when the background gets red, she seems to realize something.... And that's the point my imagination stops cause I don't know if she kills herself or birdie or if she just shoots down... maybe at someone in particular?

So yeah, random stuff I realized or thought about during the game... Maybe it will help you somehow but most probably already saw it...

-The paintings disappear after a while... After the first call, for example, the right painting in the living room goes blank, after the fire every single picture is just white despite of one motive - a landscape, seem to be mountains or something...  :deepstuff: they just get pale but don't fully disappear

-the cabinet & the cupboard in the dining room disappear after you've looked at them and found nothing (neccessary to get to the picture behind them cause that's the one you discover the date on... but still strange)

-The water in the bath tubs... the bath tubs themself are always full, both of them. But after the fire the water gets red... First it's just kind of a light red but after a while it looks like real blood (After watching a whole bunch of movies or series in which people killed themselves in bath tubs I've thought maybe there were people in both of the tubs which Leah just couldn't see cause of some strange-deep-mystery-stuff but that's pretty... nah.)

-The bed in the sleeping-roomich room is still warm but if you go there again after the fire, they're cold

-What was this stuff you could examine with the microscope? That was quite disturbing, it deserves some more thinking...  :(

-Birdie wants us to drink water? And then something, looking like..... water?! falls down this weird plant? That seemed as if it was talking to the plant, not to the girl. Like.. "Good plant, have you grown big and huge? Have you drunk enough water to bring this dumb little girl up? Yes you have, what a good planty plant~" ....

-Nope, I won't mention the strange notice with the 00:00:00:00.... or the fact that the third switch could be used at 3:26PM, which is a really weird time, nope.

-The fact that this girl doesn't have a face, doesn't bother me.. Is that odd? I mean the little boy and the mother in "Dou You Remember My Lullaby" don't have faces either... And they aren't in some creepy huge house with empty pictures...

Mochi

• Tier 1
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
So like, after checking out all the interpretations, I made one as well but it's in Reives' The Mirror Lied Q&A video and I'm too lazy to go copy-paste... It's basically a theory surrounding the idea of a disease going on.

WHICH LEADS ME TO SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHTS AND MAYBE SOME ADVICES? :deepstuff:
I'd play the game but my hand-me-down computer has issues so I'm waiting for a new pc... :'(

-I don't think there's a particular "time-limit" or "timer" placed in the game but I think the events happen according to how much step count you accumulate. Perhaps if you try to finish the game with the least amount of step counts...?

-I do believe there are some events you can actually avoid. I believe in Task Nari's gameplay he didn't activate the Fire event... (and I believe the paintings didn't disappear and the tub water wasn't red..?) If there are certain events you can actually avoid, how will things go...?

-I hear that, with the light on, the sample from the liquid will vanish (I guess after looking into the microscope after 3 times), so what happens if you check it with the lights off/when it turns night?

-Probably nothing will happen but what if you take the sample and just go about the game with it in hand?

-Is there any differences when you play the piano at particular times?

-I understand the loaded pistol was for opening the room in the basement to check the messages on the computer, but what happens if you never got the gun to begin with? Better question yet: is it even possible to finish the game without getting the gun/checking the emails? O_O

-Is there really any significance to changing dresses (besides looking purty heheheh)

-I've yet to see a gameplay where someone answers every single call in the game... :seraisweat:

-Apparently before the Fire event, the bed in the "parent" room is warm, but after the event it's cold.

-What if you just play through only to get the pesticides, water the plant, and sleep 'til nighttime? (and consider the least amount of step counts, I guess...)

-Can you manage to check the email without letting too much time pass by?

AND THE BIGGEST ONE OF ALL:
WHAT IS YOUR INTERPRETATION OF THE GAME, MR. REIVES?  :o

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
I think Reives wrapped you last question in this video:

The Mirror Lied - Q&A [Freebird Games]
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Mr R.

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: sad sad
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
I do have a whole different theory about The Mirror Lied
Lots of people ask themselves 'what does that mean?' or 'does it means something?' as if the meaning of the story was inside the game itself, but what is the answer was somewhere else.$

I mean, look at that game, it is made to be mysterious in everyway. It has a lot of symbolic objects and topics and in the end, there is nothing in the game that can let you guess with certitude what it is all about. Even Reives play with the gamers by going all V('__')V when asked about the meaning of the game.

I don't think this game purpose is to give an answer but to lead the gamer to seek for answers.
Of course I'm not sure of it and if ever Reives passed by here I would like to know his opinion, but the fact is that TML is full of questions and don't give any clue.
TML is game that continues beyond the game itself, the point is to discuss about the meaning, to seek for answers, to give your own vision of what it means.

I mean look at that, since the game came out, so many peoples wrote about it, on forum or blogs or talking about it between friends, and given the content pf the game I think it is what was meant to be all along, that the frustration given by the end of the game and all the feelings of being lost were all materials to push the gamers to reflect on the game, and more precisely on what was its meaning.

Because once again, the game is indeniably cryptic, from the beginning till the end, and gives a lot of clues to the gamers that lead to nothing, and the real game is to guess what it is all about.

In fact TML's pc game is just the base of the real game, which is played in your brains and on the internet

Let's not forget that this game is presented as an experiment, so why the experiment would not be to continue the game beyond the computer? or at least beyond the limits of the pc game itself?

I'm not sure if it's all clear to everyone but I don't think it to be all that wrong
I dunno, what do you think?

Monochrome

• Tier 2
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
Hello, I'm not really sure how this whole forum works, as I am a new user and am unaware of the rules. On other forums, you shouldn't awaken old topics, but I think it seems appropriate at this time. If not, somebody please inform me of the rules before I go breaking them carelessly, thanks!
        Anyways, a few things from The Mirror Lied came back when I replayed it a few months ago. I think the title is fitting with the fact that they have no faces, and I found it extremely fascinating as I have mild prosopagnosia that maybe that correlates in some way! Well, if she has no face, then maybe the mirror lied and told her she has one, or vice versa. Sorry, I love picking at the tiniest details, so if this is unimportant or just over analysing, then it's my own fault, I guess!
           Well, I'll try to interpret it some more, but for now, I'm off to school and in a bit of a hurry!
Au revoir! Aloha! Goodbye! Sayonara! *Insert preffered parting word here*

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »
On other forums, you shouldn't awaken old topics
We encourage recycling over here. :mimihat:

Jtitus116

• Tier 2
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »
Okay, did anyone else notice this when playing the game?
Spoiler: show
At the beginning of the game there is a world map in the room with the computer. It is completely normal. After you wake up again after the fire and you go back in that room there is a huge difference. The map of the world now shows only one small stretch of land surrounded by a lot of water.

So did the bird basically destroy whole continents as it flew over them?

Monochrome

• Tier 2
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
Okay, did anyone else notice this when playing the game?
Spoiler: show
At the beginning of the game there is a world map in the room with the computer. It is completely normal. After you wake up again after the fire and you go back in that room there is a huge difference. The map of the world now shows only one small stretch of land surrounded by a lot of water.

So did the bird basically destroy whole continents as it flew over them?

Yes, I did notice this the second time around, and that's a good theory! I think maybe it's in a metaphorical sense, like the bird destroyed the little girl's world? Or the rest of the world doesn't matter? And the messages in the computer said, "Birdy is plying over Africa" and stuff like that... So maybe the map resembles how close it is to her?

On other forums, you shouldn't awaken old topics
We encourage recycling over here. :mimihat:

Yay :3