Author Topic: A question from a friend  (Read 1884 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
A question from a friend
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
I would like to help someone from another site (amaranthia) to finish her game, but I cannot help him since I am illiterate when it comes to scripts. Here was her question:

Tei said:

all right, since i'm severely script-illiterate, i'll just ask the question rather than risk screwing something up.

I have a journal script that I'd like to use, but it isn't working. last time i installed this script, it put in a "journal" slot on the main menu without a fuss. this time, however, no such luck. i would guess this is because my menu is altered to hold five character profiles instead of four.

EDIT:
HERE are the menu and map scripts and HERE is the journal script.

as i said, COMPLETELY script-illiterate XD

can anyone help me?

Can anyone do?
(Reives, if you can lend a hand explaining to her how in AM, maybe it would be nice.)
Thread where question is: http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5933&forum=27

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: A question from a friend
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
So it's basically a matter of making two scripts compatible? That often involves proficient understanding of the system classes, and I'm probably not qualified for it (and also rather crammed lately with finishing up the project & site), sorry. Maybe legacyblade would be qualified. :~

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
  Does this cause an error message, or does the journal option manually disappear?  If the former, what is the error message and when does the error occur?  Is there anything else to note (maybe the option for journal shows up, but selecting it does nothing or causes an error)?  It could have been that this member copy and pasted the journal script from another project, which wouldn't work: are there any details on this?  In general way more information needs to be provided.
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
Does the menu script have a config section? I haven't looked at the script yet.

If it does not, then I recommend switching to the Stormtronics CMS by Blizzard. You can customize the journal script, then make a common event call the script. After that, call the event via an item. In the CMS Config section, set the Journal Item to a quest item. I'll break it down:

Download Stormtronics CMS -> Customize Journal Script -> Create Common event to call said script -> Create Item to call said event -> Customize CMS to put Journal Item in quest items tab

That should work, my brother did that with a quest book and bestiary script.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »
Tei said:

okay, i'll try to explain this.

there's no error. it just doesn't show up. at all.

i have no idea if it has a config section, but i think i see where mepwnn is going with this common event stuff. i'll see if i can find that script and get back to you sometime this afternoon.

thank you!