Author Topic: My criticisms on To the Moon  (Read 1309 times)

calcene

• Tier 1
My criticisms on To the Moon
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:26:07 AM »
Hi everyone! I've just finished playing Finding Paradise and I absolutely loved it.

I think that the many praises I have for the game had been voiced by others, so I want to give my criticisms and inputs to hopefully help improve future installments. However, this first part would be on To the Moon (which I equally loved). English isn't my first language so I sincerely apologize if my writing doesn't sound natural or cohesive.

There are three main criticisms that I wanted to share. This is looking back 3 years, so my memory isn't the freshest - but I suppose it reveals which issues had a long-lasting impression.

1. The puzzles felt unnecessary. From my understanding, their purpose was to help balance the flow of the story and make sure that the individual memory segments felt more discrete (as opposed to blending into one another). However, I believe that this can be accomplished by using an appropriate mix of tone and mix of pivotal and 'background/world-building' scenes. From the  'learning about Johnny's wish' up to the 'horse-riding' segments ,  the story is revealed gradually so the puzzles made the game feel dragged out. I would recommend omitting the puzzles entirely (the 'linking up memories' could be omitted as well) and balancing the flow by mixing up the tone and importance of the segments.

2. Eva's act when she opted to remove river from Johnny's childhood was not presented convincingly. This is the one instance where I believe that a more 'mature' dialogue between the two doctors would be beneficial to the story - we could understand the difference in perspectives between Neil and Eva without Eva withholding her plan from Neil and by extension, us. As a result, the escalation in conflict felt jarring to me and I think this led to the much criticized 'plants vs. zombies' part. I would recommend removing the 'fight' scene and the progression of <earliest childhood scene -> Eva and Neil arguing -> Eva removes river> could be done with full knowledge of Eva's plan. Personally, I would find the suspense of whether Eva's plan actually succeeded greater this way.

3. This is probably the least important and most controversial criticism, but I felt that the song 'Everything's Alright' diminished the emotional impact of the scene. Don't get me wrong - I liked the song, but having something with lyrics lessened my immersion. In my opinion the poignant memory alteration scene would be better served with a lyrics-free soundtrack.

I think these criticisms have a theme of simplifying and condensing what is already a simple and condensed game. But I suppose that's just due to my preferences; and reminds myself and any readers that this post is subjective.

As a closing note: thank you once again to Kan Gao for making such a beautiful and positively impactful game :). I hope you guys enjoyed the short read and I'll share my thoughts on Finding Paradise soon.

Caglecash

• Tier 1
Re: My criticisms on To the Moon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:47:43 AM »
Besides what you mentioned. Can I do another one?

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: My criticisms on To the Moon
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
Besides what you mentioned. Can I do another one?

No, Mr. Bot. *whack*
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

* Recent Media