Author Topic: Zone Zeus 2D  (Read 707 times)

atommo

• Tier 7
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Zone Zeus 2D
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
So recently I got Gamemaker and felt like making a really trippy racing/spaceship style game.

I was inspired by DataWing (a free mobile game on Android and iOS) and also Varia (a quite old free shootemup- link to a gameplay video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK86sTtxLmY)

I also wanted to incorporate a racing survival element in it (like zone mode in Wipeout HD [where the title of this game comes from]).

At this time the vague idea I have is there will be different events the player unlocks and has to get a certain score to progress further (and naturally the events/score requirements will become more demanding as progress is made) which include survival events and some form of shooter.

Here's a link to what I've made so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tplue1o7j7s1j1a/racer.zip?dl=0

The main point of the game is speed. The game is barebones at the moment. I've left out music because it would work best if you played your own music separately (and that also means I don't have to worry about copyright...).

Instructions

At this time there is only one level in the game- a survival stage. Your aim is to last as long as you can without exploding.

Like with Zone Mode in Wipeout, boost pads give you extra points. You can grind along the walls without damage so long as your ship is not facing into them.

The zone number indicates how many zones you have got through. The higher the number, the faster your speed will be.

Your health starts at 100 and you explode when it reaches 0. You will recover 5 health for every zone you clear.

Controls

Left/Right arrow keys control ship turning
Z/X for extra quick turning either left/right (can combine with the arrow keys)

Speed is automatic and cannot be controlled by the player (is determined by zone number)

I found it rather fun to play so hopefully you will too!

This is not a finished product by any means and I intend to make it look and sound better as well as adding more content.

My Highscore
Spoiler: See if you can beat this • show
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:42:00 AM by atommo »
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

atommo

• Tier 7
Re: Zone Zeus 2D
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
Wellllll I have noticed a slight issue...

Seems like it starts to think you're colliding with things when you're not at high speeds... I'll see what I can do about that

:reivsweat:

atommo

• Tier 7
Re: Zone Zeus 2D
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
Think I fixed it

Turns out the collision model had gone rogue and was going in different directions than the main player, meaning it might randomly collide with a wall even though the main player wasn't colliding (there are two collision models of the main player because I only wanted the front end to cause damage)

Should be sorted now... (link in the OP contains the most up to date version)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:23:23 AM by atommo »

* Recent Media