Author Topic: I Fear for the Future of the Internet  (Read 812 times)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
I Fear for the Future of the Internet
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:47:42 AM »
Ok I started a thread but deleted it due to miscommunications and understandings.

Basically I'm worried about net neutrality ending. I know it's probably just some hallabaloo about making internet access slower overall but I'm more worried about sites being blocked just because someone can't afford it. Isn't this denying basic human rights and freedom?

There's more about it in these posts: http://emarelda.tumblr.com/post/167742014132

I may be in NZ and may not get affected right away (if at all) but I know a lot of you guys live in/closer to America and I'm worried that one of you guys won't be able to afford sites blocked by internet providers.

Here's a way we can stop this: https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Call/fax/text them. Anything to stop this from happening.

atommo

• Tier 6
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
Re: I Fear for the Future of the Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
I agree that Net Neutrality ending is a bad thing- sadly there's only so much you can do if you aren't a resident of the US :/

At the same time though, as long as there is an Internet (and VPNs), there are means and ways of circumventing censorship. After all, there are still people in China that can get around site blocks put in place by the Great Firewall of China if they are determined enough!

It would still suck if they did revoke Net Neutrality it though.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't call access to the Internet a 'human right' but more a 'civil right'- I did some thinking about it before and that was the conclusion I came to. It just seems to fit better as a civil right.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
I agree that Net Neutrality ending is a bad thing- sadly there's only so much you can do if you aren't a resident of the US :/

I know this might sound rather cynical, but I think the more accurate statement would be "there's only so much you can do if you aren't part of the FCC". There isn't going to be a federal vote held on this; only one within the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). As a US citizen, I don't think I have much more of a say in this decision than someone from another country.

That said, it is important to be concerned about this issue even if you're not in the US - Because Americans use the internet a lot, and many websites are based in the US, many websites can suffer if net neutrality is repealed, and these effects can be felt throughout the world.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
I'm deeply hoping that karma will turn around and bite the FCC in the @ss (like for instance, one of their "important" sites being blocked by their internet provider, given they have one. Ooh I bet they'd regret it then XD )

atommo

• Tier 6
  • Awesomeness :D
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
That said, it is important to be concerned about this issue even if you're not in the US - Because Americans use the internet a lot, and many websites are based in the US, many websites can suffer if net neutrality is repealed, and these effects can be felt throughout the world.

Indeed. If the FCC did manage to revoke Net Neutrality and start allowing some extremely questionable practices from their major ISPs I wouldn't be surprised if Britain tried to take after them too.
The sentence below is false
The sentence above is true

Mobbstar

• Tier 3
    • Klei Forums profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
Numerous Attorneys General (lead by Eric Schneiderman from NY) are pushing the FCC to revert the repeal, or alternatively encourage congress to reject it. If you live in America, you should find out who your local guy is and tell him to join the cause.
You can contact me faster via Discord or Steam. Ask for my account name if you care.

* Recent Media

Johnny and River

Views: 158
Posted by: chronotron12
in: To the Moon
Eva and Neil plushies

Views: 287
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon