Author Topic: Finding Paradise  (Read 2071 times)

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
  • The Chronicler of The Winds
  • Current Mood: sad sad
Re: Finding Paradise
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:34 PM »
I feel like both To The Moon and Finding Paradise are equally enjoyable. While TtM have a sadder story in my opinion, to me, FP is much more deeper, relatable, somewhat more realistic.

They both left me a feeling of sadness which lingers for days to come. However, I think the puzzles (the 3 link one) in FP feels a bit “forced” and frankly I find the ones in TtM (the flip one) much more enjoyable.

I quite liked the arcade bit in the middle, gave you a small break in the story. It also enforces Neil’s quirky and funny characteristics.

On a last note why the blue mushrooms? (Also when you pick the 3rd mushroom, the one Neil told you to put back down, and then you put back down you still have 3 mushrooms in your inventory rather than it being 2)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:39:37 AM by Multiuniverse »
“My story is done, but it keeps on starting over. In the end it will hover like an invisible note, embedded in the wind that ceaselessly blows from the sea. It will exist in the raindrops falling on the parched earth, and in the end it will exist in the air we breath” - Henning Mankell (Chronicler of The Winds)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:21 AM »
I won't go so far as to say FP is better than TtM, heck it didn't even make me cry as much till the very end before the credits (then again, I first saw TtM way back and may have gotten stronger emotionally since then).

However, I notice that the spriting/animation and backgrounds are something I really enjoyed seeing. Not to mention the soundtrack. Then again, I'm pretty easily impressed. The best part about the soundtracks imo was the use of classics such as The Mirror Lied theme and The Breeze from Quintessence. (Though I really thing Wind from our Younger Days has a Quintessence-esque vibe to it as if to pay homage to Kan's best project before TtM).

I liked the jokes and references (especially the lil Big Bang Theory one since I enjoy watching the show) but worried that it distracted away from the main story and, judging by what was said here, I was right. Personally I didn't have a problem with them but that's my opinion.

Most of the beginning and the dress up game left me laughing and the rest of the story had me intrigued since I was not expecting such memory hops to occur. But it was soon clear why.

Neil's side story got talked about quite a lot in a game not centered around the doctors and again, the last scene left us with more questions than answers. Neil's addiction was only lightly touched on. I was hoping for another awkward(?) encounter between the two doctors like in TtM but there was none (then again, I have yet to play it a second time so I may have missed something).

The puzzles between memory hops was a new interesting challenge as well, despite what everyone is saying about them.

Spoilers ahead!

Spoiler: show
The action sequence. OH the action sequence. Boy was that fun. At first I was worried about what happened to Eva when things started going haywire but eventually found myself fighting for my life against Faye. Though I admit, she does look pretty cool with wings ^_^ (if only Neil could have kept his cool winged armor :P but I digress).

At one point during this entire sequence, I found myself stuck due to not being about to find Faye in one of the memories (hidden in a poster. Well played Kan, well played) but atleast I was finally able to progress. Kinda wish Eva came back earlier though, she's boss at fighting Faye/shielding her attacks XD

Was the fighting really necessary though? I know it's skippable but I felt like I needed to do it once her shield was deactivated.

But despite all the downs, I still enjoyed it. There'll be some folks with better points and opinions but I just wanted add my two cents in. Still I hope Kan can make episode 3 better by taking some of the other suggestions onboard but no game is truly perfect... right? Well for now he atleast deserves a break.

Oh wow, was not planning on such a long reply. Kept adding stuff, y'know?

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
Do anyone remember the first memento they went through in this game? Did anyone else notice a faint sillhuette rushing behind Colin as Neil and Eva were about to be teleported away? That was so creepy.
The only explanation is that it could be Faye, but then it's not confirmed. I really need some kind of confirmation about this.

The same goes for the person who was watching Colin and Sofia from the woods.
That and motorcycle man too.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

nekobuster

• Tier 2
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
Do anyone remember the first memento they went through in this game? Did anyone else notice a faint sillhuette rushing behind Colin as Neil and Eva were about to be teleported away? That was so creepy.
The only explanation is that it could be Faye, but then it's not confirmed. I really need some kind of confirmation about this.

I definitely saw that silhouette too, so it's good to see that I wasn't going crazy. But I originally thought there were two silhouettes, and the only way I could chalk up what happened then was that the two original doctors for the Colin case went into Colin's mind as well without Eva and Neil noticing. But if it was only one silhoutte, then it must've been Faye, since she returns later in the game to that same memory as well. Still, it's just a theory.  ???

The one watching Colin and Sofia from the woods was also Faye. I have no doubt about that. It's the same figure that returns to watch Colin and Asher at the playground.

The person on the motorcycle, however, is much more of a mystery. It can't have been Faye, since Neil was away from the machine. If you picked a certain set of choices in the beginning of the game, Potato says that a woman in a brown dress helped get her bear from the water. So it was either her, or some other character that is a reference to another game. (I might have to play the game another time to find out)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »

The motorcycle person confuses me the most, since Neil sees her in the real world. Whoever it was seemed to be wearing the same dress as Faye; I wonder if she visits frequently and Colin just took the design of her dress and applied it to Faye in his memories, or if something real weird is going on... In certain branching paths from player choices, Potato also mentions that her bear was retrieved by a lady in a brown dress who "didn't even touch the water". Ugh, so many questions!

I have no clue why you tried to reply to me, bashfluff, but you do realize that everyone has their opinions of this game, and that just as I can't change the way you feel about it, you can't change how I feel about it? In any case, you're entitled to your view, and I bet Reives appreciates the feedback. And if you don't want anything more to do with Freebird Games, that's okay too. In fact, I think if you contact Reives, you could even get a refund for the game! Not bad, eh?

I gotta go write a terrible essay now, so I guess I'm not a great writer after all  :) but that's ok! FP gives me a mood boost.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:18:48 PM by EatingToastYay »
meep meep im a beep

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
The motorcycle person confuses me the most, since Neil sees her in the real world.
Unless it's not the real world and everything in FP is already being relived inside someone's memories using Neil's machine that now - after the events from FP - has a copy of Faye. Most likely Eva's memories specifically, if we link this to that one creepy moment from the second Minisode.

That would mean the whole FP is an altered memory of altering someone's memory.

JDoobs

• Tier 2
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
Thank you Kan and team for all of your hard work on this game. I truly believe what you are doing here elevates video game narratives to a level that should be strived for by all developers. It's not about features, it's not about graphics, it's not about game modes. It's about giving someone a meaningful experience. It's about coming away from that experience with just a little more wisdom and caring then you had before. These games, the stories they tell, and the music that accompanies them, speak to me in a way that so very few games truly have in my decades of experience with the medium.

Bravo Freebird. I will continue to encourage my friends to experience your work as I have. and I eagerly await my next opportunity to take a journey with you.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:27:25 PM by JDoobs »

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »
The motorcycle person confuses me the most, since Neil sees her in the real world.
Unless it's not the real world and everything in FP is already being relived inside someone's memories using Neil's machine that now - after the events from FP - has a copy of Faye. Most likely Eva's memories specifically, if we link this to that one creepy moment from the second Minisode.

That or the motorcycle is completely irrelevant
“My story is done, but it keeps on starting over. In the end it will hover like an invisible note, embedded in the wind that ceaselessly blows from the sea. It will exist in the raindrops falling on the parched earth, and in the end it will exist in the air we breath” - Henning Mankell (Chronicler of The Winds)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 08:45:25 PM »

Yeah, I feel like there were quite a few red herrings. For example, the title, the title screen, and the painting of Bora Bora seemed to imply that his wish involves going there.

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »

Yeah, I feel like there were quite a few red herrings. For example, the title, the title screen, and the painting of Bora Bora seemed to imply that his wish involves going there.

The Hibiscus also imply that

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 06:33:25 AM »
Yeah, Neil copied Faye from Colin's memory (again I have no idea how they could do something like that, I mean just copying whole personalities and stuff, but I guess I will retain my suspension of disbelief), and it was strongly implied that she was the thing he showed to his colleagues at the end of the game.
I didn't notice what the motorcycle person was wearing, so that's why I felt confused at that time.
Though Potato said, the girl in a brown dress "SWOOPED IN" without touching the water.
All of those combined with that one last scene we saw from the latest minisode, almost confirms that all of this is going "memory-inception" style, and Faye also became a part of the whole deal since we are seeing her. (maybe working with them, or against them)

I can't say I like the direction of the story going, but oh welp.

Edit: motorcycle could be a red herring too yeah. Albeit a weird one, but still.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:35:22 AM by Erenussocrates »
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

StarwindD6

• Tier 2
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »

The Hibiscus also imply that

I think that "Finding Paradise" (going to Bora Bora and the many hints and parts about it) is not irrelevant at all. That's where he spent his honeymoon, and from that I think it figuratively represents having a happy and fulfilling life in general. The game is about leaving childhood fantasies behind to adapt to responsibilities in real life, which is what Colin does by literally going to Bora Bora-he gets married and has a pretty happy life as far as we know until he's old.

Through this he makes his life fulfilling enough that he no longer "needs" his imaginary friend to fill in for his loneliness.

But figuratively, of course, "Finding Paradise" is about happiness in general (well, a paradise is literally a happy place) which we see that is not necessarily found by going to Bora Bora in the end of the game.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
All of those combined with that one last scene we saw from the latest minisode, almost confirms that all of this is going "memory-inception" style, and Faye also became a part of the whole deal since we are seeing her. (maybe working with them, or against them)
Colin: "If you really try hard, you can create entire worlds in them. . . How cool is that?!"
Faye: "Well, that does sound like your thing. . ."
Dr. Rosalene: ". . . And yours."
Dr. Watts: "Hey, you never know. . . You could be in a world I created right now!"
Dr. Rosalene: "Har har."

StarwindD6

• Tier 2
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »
Also apparently Faye is the personification of the bird from ABS...HOW DID I MISS THIS?????

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »
Also apparently Faye is the personification of the bird from ABS...HOW DID I MISS THIS?????

Oh

OH

* Recent Media

Falling

Views: 66
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon
Lunair

Views: 164
Posted by: SI
in: Quintessenc­e - The Blighted Venom
x-mas art

Views: 670
Posted by: cydriex