Author Topic: Mac/Linux port of Quintessence - Font dilemma  (Read 2584 times)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Mac/Linux port of Quintessence - Font dilemma
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
Hi guys :)

Last summer I made a beta port of Quintessence for Mac and sent it to some beta testers, but did not receive any feedback.
This summer I decided to play it all over again to make sure there is no issue left with the port.
I just finished playing and everything seems to work great, with the exception that in very few occasions, a letter or two at the end of a line is clipped.

The issue seems to show itself while the free/open font called Liberation Serif is used:
Spoiler: show

But does not seem to happen with Times New Roman:
Spoiler: show

The fix seems simple: bundle Times New Roman with the game. The problem is I don't think its license allows such a thing.
Another fix would be changing the font search path in Ancurio's mkxp to look in OS X's Fonts folder for the installed Times New Roman font, as every version of OS X supported by mkxp should already have the font installed.
But even if I succeed at that, it does not change the situation for Linux, I don't think any Linux distribution comes with Times New Roman installed by default.

So I'm looking for suggestions in either of the following:
- Can anybody propose a change in the game scripts (probably the AMS script?) to change the spacing for fonts or message box and possibly fix the issue?
- Does anybody know another free/open serif font with as much similar looks and metrics to Times New Roman as possible? (I have already tested Liberation Serif and FreeSerif).

Last but not least: If no solution is found, do you think having a letter or two clipped in less than 1 percent of the game's messages is not that big of a deal and I should post the port publicly?

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Mac/Linux port of Quintessence - Font dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Sadly I have no clue how to help, but I post so that you see that someone did care about that post :3
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »
Thanks for caring, Thunderbird :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
Mm, I'm not familiar with the fonts available too unfortunately, but I do think the small occurrence of the issue should be okay -- especially since I'd imagine the word can be guessed from the rest of the sentence in many of the cases. c: If nothing suitable could be found, perhaps there could just be a disclaimer for Times New Roman link for those who needs it in the publishing post?

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
I even tried Adobe Serif Pro and while this issue does not happen with it for that specific message, it will happen in some others.
With Liberation Serif at least I have played the whole game and none of the text clipping was a serious barrier for understanding the sentence, I can't be sure about others that may look good in one box and not in another one.

Mm, I'm not familiar with the fonts available too unfortunately, but I do think the small occurrence of the issue should be okay -- especially since I'd imagine the word can be guessed from the rest of the sentence in many of the cases. c:
Yep, in all of the cases that it has happened for me I was able to guess the missing letters :)

If nothing suitable could be found, perhaps there could just be a disclaimer for Times New Roman link for those who needs it in the publishing post?
That's a very good idea :)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
Ok, in the last minute I changed the save folder location to outside of the game folder (it would not make much sense to save inside the game folder on Mac) and here is the ReadMe file I have prepared for the final port package:
https://app.box.com/s/wbqihlls9objb1gta48jbndbeskerasg

Ancurio

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
First off, thanks for working on Quintessence ports for the Unices, Ali! I'd have started working on it myself a long time ago, but this game means a lot to me personally and I don't think I'd be able to emotionally detach myself enough to do it.

As for the problem:
Hmm, that is really weird, because the text box looks like it is automatically sized in accordance to the text, and for that the game would have to query the required size for the font first.

Can you test this part again with my version of the UMS? It contains a lot of fixes that have accumulated over the time, although I haven't ever hit the problem you're describing in TtM.

If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to debug this part if you provide me with the current port + save file.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:56:54 PM by Ancurio »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »
First off, thanks for working on Quintessence ports for the Unices, Ali! I'd have started working on it myself a long time ago, but this game means a lot to me personally and I don't think I'd be able to emotionally detach myself enough to do it.

No problem, it is more or less a port you have made, but packaged and tested by me. :)

As for the problem:
Hmm, that is really weird, because the text box looks like it is automatically sized in accordance to the text, and for that the game would have to query the required size for the font first.

And it gets more weird, because with Adobe Source Serif Pro the text box actually gets bigger since the font itself is bigger.
I think maybe the script looks for some kind of a font properties that is not included with Liberation Serif?

Can you test this part again with my version of the UMS? It contains a lot of fixes that have accumulated over the time, although I haven't ever hit the problem you're describing in TtM.

If I'm not mistaken, Quintessence does not UMS but uses this instead: AMS - Advanced Message Script - R4 [Update #2]

If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to debug this part if you provide me with the current port + save file.

That would be great!

Here is the Linux port:
https://app.box.com/s/aw6cid8yu9l8kl60pmtydrwzdqpxxgr5
(I had to convert mid files to ogg since I don't have a precompiled binary of libfluidsynth on Linux ready to be bundled with the game).

Save file:
https://app.box.com/s/43pu0c3pdvg1q5artscwfpz992q05f4j

Ancurio

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
Ok, I think I found the issue. To fix it, replace line 242 of the AMS:

Code: [Select]
       cx = contents.text_size(line).width
with

Code: [Select]
       cx = 0
       line.split("").each do |ch|
         cx += contents.text_size(ch).width
       end

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 03:29:34 AM »
Once again Ancurio saves the day!
Thanks a lot, it fixed it for me too.
(I have updated the readme to remove the font issue notes and also added the fact that this port is %99.9 made by Ancurio).

The new packages are getting uploaded for both Mac and Linux right now :)
I'm so glad that I changed the save path in the last minute so now a user can simply replace the previous game files and still keep the save files.

* Recent Media

Johnny and River

Views: 8
Posted by: chronotron12
in: To the Moon
Eva and Neil plushies

Views: 158
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon
It's a Promise

Views: 132
Posted by: kikikai